Pitt Game Thread

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think it's interesting that we have this much point spread in the odds. Pitt is actually below us in composite RPI. Are the gamblers saying we are not as good as our RPI suggests, or that Pitt is better? I wish it were the latter, but fear it's the former.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I think it's interesting that we have this much point spread in the odds. Pitt is actually below us in composite RPI. Are the gamblers saying we are not as good as our RPI suggests, or that Pitt is better? I wish it were the latter, but fear it's the former.

I was pretty surprised to see it at 5.5. Pitt isn't very good either and 3 of our 4 games have been decided by OT or 3 pts or less

LibertyTurns

Banned
Hate to say this is a "must win" but this season is going to be very hard to stomach if we lose this game today. We should be trying to establish a winning "streak" today, not breaking a losing streak. I'm not a fan of the head of our team, but at some point the guys have to take over and just get it done regardless of what they're being directed to do. There has to be a leader somewhere on this team.

Go Jackets!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Pitt is 10-1 at home

I expect us to lead at half, Dixon will make adjustments, win by 6, cover the spread, and then we can watch more box score summarizers come in and talk of firing CBG, and some kid will type all in Caps the blasphemy of it all displaying no tact that will surely be deleted in 5 mins.

At this point winning jeopardizes our basketball future. Im incredibly conflicted.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
That 5 minute mark hits in the 2nd half and we just curl up inside our turtle shell. We actually looked like we had some offensive plays going on today. I think part of that was due to Q and Sampson actually hitting some 3's to open things up. We still can't shoot straight (Heywood) but until that 5 minute mark we were playing pretty good. Pitt was shooting very well.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
CBG is not throwing the players under the bus during press conference. Still believes in the team.

IMO , some poor passing allowed too many to be picked off or land out of bounds caused the loss.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Pitt is 10-1 at home

I expect us to lead at half, Dixon will make adjustments, win by 6, cover the spread, and then we can watch more box score summarizers come in and talk of firing CBG, and some kid will type all in Caps the blasphemy of it all displaying no tact that will surely be deleted in 5 mins.

At this point winning jeopardizes our basketball future. Im incredibly conflicted.

Very close

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Another game decided by 5 or less points and another loss. Our record isn't representative of our talent but it is representative of our coaching. Why would we foul with a minute left in a one possession game?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Another game decided by 5 or less points and another loss. Our record isn't representative of our talent but it is representative of our coaching. Why would we foul with a minute left in a one possession game?

Perhaps being down 3 is now interpreted by our coaches as a two possession game.

At first I said that in my head as a joke, but after thinking through it I believe that might very possibly be their line of thinking. And perhaps rightfully so.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CBG is not throwing the players under the bus during press conference. Still believes in the team.

IMO , some poor passing allowed too many to be picked off or land out of bounds caused the loss.
There were a few inexplicably botched passes this evening. Still, he can't really throw them under the bus when he calls time-out and our offense is immediately stymied on a play he draws up.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Perhaps being down 3 is now interpreted by our coaches as a two possession game.

At first I said that in my head as a joke, but after thinking through it rationally I believe that to very possibly be their line of thinking. And perhaps rightfully so.
Down 3, we should be gunning for a 2 & playing defense. We had the time to do so at that point.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
There were a few inexplicably botched passes this evening. Still, he can't really throw them under the bus when he calls time-out and our offense is immediately stymied on a play he draws up.
We definitely had some bad passes but we also had some good ones as well. To me that's a step up from no real passes at all like normal.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We definitely had some bad passes but we also had some good ones as well. To me that's a step up from no real passes at all like normal.
I agree there. I remember Travis had that one along the baseline to Sampson for a 3 and he also threaded the needle to Demarco down low. I feel like I saw Sampson with a good one also.

Same old story. Talent is better than people think, effort has been tremendous, coaching is either poor, has them overthinking & tightening up in clutch time, or both.

In the dook/Miami game the other night, when things got close, Rodriguez, who admittedly is a better guard than where any of ours are at, was asked to make a play, not run a play. He did & expanded that lead. ND's guards did that against us.