Pitching Rotation and Starting Lineup for Opening Games

Squints

Helluva Engineer
The less small ball the better. You guys want to see more hitters with a .300/.400/.500 slash line bunting runners over from first to second in the first handful of innings of a game?

Yeesh. That's a hard pass from me.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
The less small ball the better. You guys want to see more hitters with a .300/.400/.500 slash line bunting runners over from first to second in the first handful of innings of a game?

But I'd rather have runners in scoring position and a chance, that a handful of guys with good batting stats and low scores.... get on and move the runners.... OBP! MoneyBall
895d0ffec00949979a064cbf369e3bffa35234ba4db90fdfb7261403d9a4bdab._V_SX1080_.jpg

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

I'll bite. Sort of. The answer for me is NO to small ball especially the way you framed it (early innings). It does have its place if you need only 1 run late & right personnel are in the situation.

However... I'm not sure about intent on these early innings bunts we're seeing. Guldberg has an outstanding slash line... as he did last year. He is fast & bunts for hits successfully... often. ...even when guys are on base. I like putting pressure on a college defense that way... enough to keep them honest.

Serious question... is there any way to see his BA/OBP swinging away v overall BA/OBP? I'm not aware of a source.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I'll bite. Sort of. The answer for me is NO to small ball especially the way you framed it (early innings). It does have its place if you need only 1 run late & right personnel are in the situation.

However... I'm not sure about intent on these early innings bunts we're seeing. Guldberg has an outstanding slash line... as he did last year. He is fast & bunts for hits successfully... often. ...even when guys are on base. I like putting pressure on a college defense that way... enough to keep them honest.

Serious question... is there any way to see his BA/OBP swinging away v overall BA/OBP? I'm not aware of a source.

This. The college game is more volatile than the pro game and should be treated as such. There’s no reason for us to be bunting one of the best hitters in the conference (numerous times the last decade with various players up and down our lineup) in the second inning and reducing the chance of a big inning. Especially when our team batting average feels like it’s higher than our sac bunt success rate.

If youre down 1 in the 8th, sure. But not on a regular basis with annually one of the best hitting teams in the conference/country.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If the hitter can bunt and is fast I love the bunt for hit attempt. It messes with the in-field and especially the pitcher. I agree it's not as glamorous but can be more effective.

But if the hitter doesn't bunt well or is slow. Forget it. That's an intentional sacrifice. I don't think we have tried many intentional sacrifices early in the game.