Pick one: Collins, Choice, Thacker, Key, or Patenuade

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Collins, but no football questions. I'm trying to rebuild a broken culture at the office and would love to compare notes on establishing successful and sustainable cultures.

I think that is an interesting observation with one or two caveats. I appluad what CGC has done and I am 100% rooting for him to succeed. But before I picked his brains on this topic, I would want to give him a few more years to see if his methods are truly successful and substainable. I have seen many along my journey in the "real world" who, at first, can create a paplpable buzz when newly estabilished in a position of leadership but will fizzle in time. Secondly, in sports (imo) it's a bit easier on the culture piece as you can turnover your personnel faster and handpick your replacement roster much easier than one in the working environment.

Not in any way meant as a discredit or knock against him. Personally I am in the camp of people who believe that he IS going to do what he set out to do here. I think we will see evidence of this during the upcoming season. Which can not get here fast enough for my liking.

slugboy

Staff member
Collins, but no football questions. I'm trying to rebuild a broken culture at the office and would love to compare notes on establishing successful and sustainable cultures.
Fixing a broken culture has been done, but I’ve usually seen a lot of attrition along the way
(edit: fixing an autocorrect issue)

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not sure the Johnson tenure culture was broken. He had a winning record at GT with recruits few other schools wanted. To me that says the players were locked in with him most years.

Now, that said, we needed a change and CPJ acknowledged as much. What we needed was a culture that was decidedly different than the conservative process centered culture.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
He was talking about a broken culture in his office. I was responding to that.
Yeah I was referring to a culture of broken trust with leadership, not meaning to imply that Tech's culture was broken. Merely that Collins has experience as a head coach in establishing a culture.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
It remains to be seen whether the “Coach Geoff Collins Football Culture” would succeed.

Year Three of the graph on his GT performance chart will begin soon.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I have repaired a broken office culture and can tell you that three years is where you start to see the uptick. Now that's in an office and not a sports-team. But just like a sports-team, the first thing you must do it get rid of the locker-room problems. No matter how smart they are, how good their numbers are or what kind of pictures that have of the CEO...they must go.

Then, winning. You can't fix a broken culture if you don't start putting some "W"'s on the board. Hype can get you to year three, but at that point you've got to start earning the team's respect with results. You don't have to go from zero to hero, but you've got to show some positive results to give the team a reason to believe (in you, in themselves, and in the culture.)

Around year five things will be humming. You'll start making a real buzz and the most talented people we be trying to join the team. It's at this point where things can go sideways fast...you'll be tempted to get that superstar who wants to join a winning team but has an attitude. You must resist that temptation. I'm saying this from personal experience. If you make that mistake, fire them fast. They'll find another job and you'll limit the damage they can do to the culture.

For all these reasons I think CGC is right on-track with his re-culture (and I'm not say CPJ had a bad culture, just that it was different than what CGC needs to win.)

Can we puts some wins on the board this year? Maybe shock one or two of the ranked teams?

I hope so, as that's what's needed to keep the hype from becoming a joke.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Any player look especially good during the “open public” team scrimmage yesterday? Just curious if anyone on here attended and saw something they didn’t expect?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As I've said before, I doubt any of them actually know what to expect. Pre-season talk is usually hype, though often not intentionally. Coaches will see how the team workouts and scrimmages are going and extrapolate from that. This is sort of like looking at your product line before you offer it for sale. No matter what you think of what you are selling, the consumers will make your mind up for you, generally. We'll know for certain soon enough.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I would definitely pick the head man CGC and ask a very direct question: When do you expect to beat the dwags?

I could ask a zillion other questions but that one answers all the others.

FYI - that was the question Auburn asked Pat Dye when he interviewed for the HC job at Auburn ("How long will it take you to start beating Alabama?").

Here is Dye's answer (highlight to see): 60 minutes.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach P- in November. How do we beat UM and ND on the road? Then of course, how do we take down the Dawgs? The Dawgs are huge in the interior DL and athletic on the perimeter. Their pass rush will be missing Ojulari and their DEs are not great against the run. I am glad we are stressing the WR blocking- our guys need to get after it day one! I suspect the Dawgs will be expecting another cakewalk- but Todd Stansberry was right in his interview with the ACC Network. Stansberry said this year feels like 1989- Tech put it on UGA that year in Atlanta. Who can forget Willie Burkes' interception dragging Dawg tacklers.