Pick one: Collins, Choice, Thacker, Key, or Patenuade

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
If you could have a private sit down meeting with only one of these Coaches listed and receive honest answers given to your questions who would you pick? What would you ask them?
I think I would choose Choice. Although most of my questions would involve topics outside of the RB because I believe he’s got that group hopping. I would ask him: What are your expectations for W-L this year? This year’s football season would be a success if _______ (he would have to fill in the blank & explain his comments). What are the strongest traits of each individual on the staff? What is one habit about himself that he would change? What are his thoughts about the long term impact of NIL? Does he consider it to have the potential to become a HUGE a distraction for some players/personalities? Thoughts on the development of OL & QB? Where does he see himself in 3-5 years?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
In private, off the record? CGC hands down. The lights are off so the bs machine is off. He's been around long enough and with enough great coaches to understand privately what it is. As a head coach, he has to be the #1 fan of his team, but in a private talk like 2 old buddies in the back booth at a bar.....truth is flowing.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
In private, off the record? CGC hands down. The lights are off so the bs machine is off. He's been around long enough and with enough great coaches to understand privately what it is. As a head coach, he has to be the #1 fan of his team, but in a private talk like 2 old buddies in the back booth at a bar.....truth is flowing.
The BS machine is never off I’m afraid

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Key, because as Assistant HC/O-Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator, I would want to know what he would do differently as HC/OC than what we are currently doing so I could better gauge whether he's ready and the right one to take that next step for us.

slugboy

Staff member
OK, provocative title.

I’d go for Collins because
  1. probably fun to talk to and
  2. he might supply food and
  3. I think he’s got a good head for defense and I’d like to pick his brain there

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The BS machine is never off I’m afraid
My BS reference wasn't directed at CGC directly. Every coach, as they should, paints their team with rainbows and unicorns in the public eye. But, with in the close friend network of off the book and 100% trust, the truth is told. I fully believe that CGC believes what he says. The proof is in the pudding and this years pudding looks better than past years.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Choice for sure. I would have plenty of questions about this team, the teams he played on and his NFL days. Dude seems fun to hang out with and probably has plenty of stories.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
My BS reference wasn't directed at CGC directly. Every coach, as they should, paints their team with rainbows and unicorns in the public eye. But, with in the close friend network of off the book and 100% trust, the truth is told. I fully believe that CGC believes what he says. The proof is in the pudding and this years pudding looks better than past years.
100% agree. I just don’t think CGC ever turns it off and it’s not for me so I’d pass.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
“Always selling.” -Glen Gary Glen Ross

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach P. I think the others are who they are for everyone to see.

Id want Coach P‘s true thoughts on the talent level on this team compared to others he’s seen and follow that up with what he truly sees in a comparative analysis of our competition ( how much ahead or behind are we and how close are we really )

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Key for sure.

Why? As an alumn who has coached at arguably the best college football program in the country I think he could and would provide an honest assessment of where we are, what our biggest challenges are and what will need to be true for us to overcome them.

And I don't think that CGC's behavior is BS. It might not be for some, but fortunately he's not coaching them. I think his positivity, energy and relentless recognition is not at all an act. If you've ever read the book The Happiness Advantage his behavior seems very aligned with the science behind "You don't get positive because you succeed, you succeed because you have a positive mindset."

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I would always pick the head coach because I would want the big picture view of the whole program rather than details of one particular aspect.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Key for sure.

Why? As an alumn who has coached at arguably the best college football program in the country I think he could and would provide an honest assessment of where we are, what our biggest challenges are and what will need to be true for us to overcome them.

And I don't think that CGC's behavior is BS. It might not be for some, but fortunately he's not coaching them. I think his positivity, energy and relentless recognition is not at all an act. If you've ever read the book The Happiness Advantage his behavior seems very aligned with the science behind "You don't get positive because you succeed, you succeed because you have a positive mindset."
Well, he was considering taking a job at USCe last off-season, so you can read between the lines about how he feels about some things. He wasn't a great OC, though, so I'm not sure how much weight to place on certain thoughts of his.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Key would be interesting to talk to as well. I wish that he would make more appearances and speak more about the OL progress. I believe that is a HUGE position group to improve upon in order to turn the tide of success and outcomes for the momentum of the tough games ahead. In some ways as the OL goes so goes our season. I won’t say that we can’t win without them but the wins would be very limited especially with our schedule this year. I hope to see a good amount of progress with the maturation of the younger players plus the transfers and then we can turn the RB Swarm loose and witness the magic happen. I think that it’s very important that our guys have a solid first couple of games and get deep into the depth chart to get valuable live game reps for the backups so they’re ready when called upon in the tougher games in critical situations.
I would ask Key what his 2 year plan is for the OL group? What are his 3 month 🎯 is for his current group? Who he sees as his MVP on his OL roster? Who his #1 recruiting target is for 2022? 2023? What tendencies he is working the hardest to change before game #3?