Petition for Extra Year of Eligibility ?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
If 10 games or less are played, and there are no bowl games or championships. Do we see players petition for an extra year of eligibility? I can see both sides of the argument.

Just curious if maybe those tweener guys who may or may not get drafted on smaller teams will fight for an extra year saying they did not receive a full years worth of games to display talents.

Crazier things have happened.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
If 10 games or less are played, and there are no bowl games or championships. Do we see players petition for an extra year of eligibility? I can see both sides of the argument.

Just curious if maybe those tweener guys who may or may not get drafted on smaller teams will fight for an extra year saying they did not receive a full years worth of games to display talents.

Crazier things have happened.
I was wondering about this myself.. I think we can look to the basketball season as an indicator of the NCAA's stance. They too lost the ability to play for conference or national championships.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Already happened for baseball. Would it be too logistically/difficult to do it for football which has much more participants? No sure what hurdles those would be. NCAA also made adjustments to baseball scholarship or funding rules too.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Basketball and other winter sports didn’t get their eligibility back because they had completed, or nearly completed their regular seasons even though they didn’t have postseason play. Baseball and other spring sports got their year back because they had only played a very small portion of their scheduled regular season games.

If football plays a “regular” season, even if it’s conference only and 8-10 games, they won’t get a year back. I think if they played 4-6 games and the seasons got cancelled, they probably would get it back though.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Basketball and other winter sports didn’t get their eligibility back because they had completed, or nearly completed their regular seasons even though they didn’t have postseason play. Baseball and other spring sports got their year back because they had only played a very small portion of their scheduled regular season games.

If football plays a “regular” season, even if it’s conference only and 8-10 games, they won’t get a year back. I think if they played 4-6 games and the seasons got cancelled, they probably would get it back though.

Agree

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

I definitely see that.

I DO think you'll get a strong number of young men petitioning or possibly some lawyers getting in the mix if only 10 are played with no bowls or championships. They will say they didn't serve a normal full year.

I'm curious if anywhere in the NCAA rules and regulations states what a season is. 12 regular season games. If it does the kids have a chance to fight if not changed before this season.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I definitely see that.

I DO think you'll get a strong number of young men petitioning or possibly some lawyers getting in the mix if only 10 are played with no bowls or championships. They will say they didn't serve a normal full year.

I'm curious if anywhere in the NCAA rules and regulations states what a season is. 12 regular season games. If it does the kids have a chance to fight if not changed before this season.
If they play 10 games I see no way they get a year back. Even with no championships a 10 game regular season is representative of what is expected for a college football season. Because postseason play is not guaranteed, not having any postseason games is irrelevant to a player’s eligibility. Also, 12 games is simply the limit on how many games you can play. I don’t believe there are any rules stating a minimum number of games. Baseball has a limit of 56 regular season games, but there are a lot of teams every year that schedule less than that because of logistical restrictions and what not.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
If they play 10 games I see no way they get a year back. Even with no championships a 10 game regular season is representative of what is expected for a college football season. Because postseason play is not guaranteed, not having any postseason games is irrelevant to a player’s eligibility. Also, 12 games is simply the limit on how many games you can play. I don’t believe there are any rules stating a minimum number of games. Baseball has a limit of 56 regular season games, but there are a lot of teams every year that schedule less than that because of logistical restrictions and what not.
Ah gotcha. Didn't know if there was a minimum to constitute a season.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I would guess anything over 4 games would result in no eligibility back. It would make sense to stay consistent with what the redshirt rule would be.

The issue becomes the number crunch for the 85 scholarships as coaches are recruiting expecting the graduating seniors to leave, so I don't think many of those would return. It would be bad luck for several of our guys (Lee, Clayton, Camp, Cooper) who came just to play this 1 last year.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Agreed, and you stated my original point better than I did. I think we now have a fairly clear precedent from the NCAA between the basketball and baseball scenarios.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If S/As get an extra year of eligibility, what would this do to the 2021 signing class? Would teams not be able to sign as many as they're now projecting? Seems it would create a backlog in the pipeline if everybody has to stick with the 85 limit. Could it cut the number of scholarships available to this year's HS seniors? And maybe next year's as well? Could that affect commitments we already have for 2021?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
There's no way to do this without making new rules on scholarship limits or differentially benefiting the "haves". If we don't have at least an 6 game plus regular season, I think something does get worked out. We'll probably be in better shape than most to benefit from this.