Penn State to remove 7,000 seats with new stadium renovations.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Something I'd love to see us do. Remove some of the seats and give us some room for better facilities, locker room, player rec area etc. We usually average around 41-45k in attendance so imagine how much better out attendance would look on tv if we took away some seats.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mcal...er-planned-renovation-20170313-story,amp.html
Wouldn't mind this at all. How much seating do we have? I would be ok with it around 47-50k seating. We still need to get more people to the games.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
We could probably accomplish a similar reduction just switching out the benches for real seats.

I agree with this. Attending games would be much, much more comfortable with actual seats--especially for the women and kids. Fan experience would improve significantly. I know it sounds whiny, but unless you sit in club section or pre-order the stinger seats, watching the games while sitting on the benches is just flat out uncomfortable. It never fails that some bonehead or relatively large human takes up their allocated seat space and half or all of mine or my wife's/kid's as well... causing my wife and I to share "seat 24", resulting in thoughts of "maybe we should watch the next one on our living room TV, while sitting on our new sectional"... We can be naïve and think that "true fans" should have no problem enduring the small space on the bench with no back rest... and I will, but the overall point is: people would have a better experience attending GT games with either (a) real seats or (b) more space, and thus, will be more likely to attend. We never sell-out, so why not.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Wasn't the point of the North End Zone expansion to add seats? Seems like a reduction would make that effort a waste of money. I don't mind the idea of real seats instead of benches though.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Correct me if I'm wrong but stinger seats is an outside company. I'm sure GT gets a cut. Just seems you could cut out the middle man install seats. I know you couldn't do it for the entire stadium but maybe lower level between the 20's

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
If Stansbury puts in a party deck like he did at UCF and OrSt, I bet we'll lose some seating somewhere.

I doubt the $$$ bunch will want to open the Wardlaw Center to the riff-raff to put it in the obvious spot above the South endzone.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Too bad GT doesn't have the following yet in Atlanta and Georgia where they could fill a stadium seating 85,000-100,000 fans. Penn State could also be doing this because the attendance has dipped a bit.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
We could probably accomplish a similar reduction just switching out the benches for real seats.

Bench seating should be in the student section and the student section only. Having benches in the rest of the stadium only serves to increase tension between the fans because people inevitably fight over the little bit of space they've been allocated. This should be the first stadium upgrade Stansbury goes for, although I love the idea of a party deck area too.

MtownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Lower East and Lower West should all be gold seats. Its a no-brainer. Keep the bleachers in the upper sections, student sections, and away section.

BuzzbaitGT

Georgia Tech Fan
If Stansbury puts in a party deck like he did at UCF and OrSt, I bet we'll lose some seating somewhere.

I doubt the $$$ bunch will want to open the Wardlaw Center to the riff-raff to put it in the obvious spot above the South endzone.

Slightly different take: How about moving visitor seating and the visiting band to the Upper North (above the "Gold Zone")? Reclaim Section 131 in the Southeast corner from the visitors. Renovate/expand/install party deck in Section 131, with a focus on easy flow of foot traffic between the East stands, the Party Deck, the South stands, and the Wardlaw Center.

Then, replace all bleachers with real seats. Also agree with those of y'all who have been suggesting making the seats gold.

We'd lose seating, but stand to gain much in terms of quality of fans' game experience.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with this. Attending games would be much, much more comfortable with actual seats--especially for the women and kids. Fan experience would improve significantly. I know it sounds whiny, but unless you sit in club section or pre-order the stinger seats, watching the games while sitting on the benches is just flat out uncomfortable.

there's your first problem. Should be standing! (TIC)

BuzzbaitGT

Georgia Tech Fan
We already get crap seating for most away games. I used to get upper sideline seats in Athens; now (when I go) I get lower endzone.

The two times I've been to Death Valley, the Clemson's visitors' section was up in the stratosphere. I don't know how many decks that stadium has, but I was definitely in the top deck. Literally, I saw several birds fly by *below* me. For uga games in the past, I've been in both the third deck and second deck. Away game seating won't get much worse for Tech fans at those two venues, IMO.

However, in support of ClydeBrick's point, I've gotten seats at field level in the row just behind GT's band at road games against NCSU, VPISU, Carolina, Wake and Duke in the past. Those were great experiences, I must admit.

Maybe we should take over the visitors' section 131 for the creation of the Party Deck, but give drink discount coupons or BO/GO hot dogs to all visitors unless we're playing uga or CU. The dwags and Tigers can pound sand. :)