Pelton

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We are recruiting players to fit the system. In fact, we did that with Groh.
One of the big issues we're seeing right now is that we have a lot of defensive personnel who were recruited to fit Groh's concept of 3-4 defensive players. Switching from the 3-4 to a 4-3 or 4-2-5 meant that we had to shift focus.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
We are recruiting players to fit the system. In fact, we did that with Groh.
One of the big issues we're seeing right now is that we have a lot of defensive personnel who were recruited to fit Groh's concept of 3-4 defensive players. Switching from the 3-4 to a 4-3 or 4-2-5 meant that we had to shift focus.
Yes you are correct up to that point. But also Grohs dl recs. were involved in several of the attrition in that 2013 class. I thought Groh was going to be great addition, but he became the worst coach in my history of 55 years of GT fb. That is my opinion! I think he had lost something.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes you are correct up to that point. But also Grohs dl recs. were involved in several of the attrition in that 2013 class. I thought Groh was going to be great addition, but he became the worst coach in my history of 55 years of GT fb. That is my opinion! I think he had lost something.
I too thought Groh would be a great addition. Funny that someone who is considered one of the five greatest football defensive minds in the modern era would just suddenly not know how to coach. He was horrible and I still do not understand it. I thought it was brilliant for CPJ to hire him and thought it showed great leadership to fire him. Weirdness.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I too thought Groh would be a great addition. Funny that someone who is considered one of the five greatest football defensive minds in the modern era would just suddenly not know how to coach. He was horrible and I still do not understand it. I thought it was brilliant for CPJ to hire him and thought it showed great leadership to fire him. Weirdness.
While Groh was at va, My coaching son heard him speak at coaching clinic. He said Groh is a truly great football mind, clear communicator, and ultra organized. Son said great hire.

Big miss!
Groh comes in with great record but ends up a bust.
Kelly buried as a db coach for years and successfully follows Groh as interim dc. So successful he is identified by fsu and hired as OC.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
While Groh was at va, My coaching son heard him speak at coaching clinic. He said Groh is a truly great football mind, clear communicator, and ultra organized. Son said great hire.

Big miss!
Groh comes in with great record but ends up a bust.
Kelly buried as a db coach for years and successfully follows Groh as interim dc. So successful he is identified by fsu and hired as OC.
I have my own thoughts about what happened with was going on with him. I'll just say something was lost within him. Just my opinion for at one time he WAS a great coach! All this came from what you and I read from sources. Put 2 and 2 together with your memory. Then let it be!