Peach County Jobbed in State Championship Game

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know a lot of folks did not watch this game but one of our recruits, a linebacker named Jackson plays for Peach County and he had a hell of a game. Peach County scored what would have been a go ahead touchdown on a pass that was caught about the 4 yard line. The defender stretched out and crossed the goal line to score and as he put the ball on the ground the ball came loose. The referee ruled the pass incomplete, I guess assuming the receiver never had possession which he clearly did. Calhoun got the ball, punted back to Peach with about a minute to go and Peach was unable to score. I guess High School football does not use replay.

I really had no rooting interest in the game other than knowing a recruit for Tech was playing, but I just feel sorry for the kids from Peach County. Such a bad call and probably it cost them a State Championship.

The kicker Finneran looked pretty good also. I think we are trying to get him as PWO.

Go Jackets!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I know a lot of folks did not watch this game but one of our recruits, a linebacker named Jackson plays for Peach County and he had a hell of a game. Peach County scored what would have been a go ahead touchdown on a pass that was caught about the 4 yard line. The defender stretched out and crossed the goal line to score and as he put the ball on the ground the ball came loose. The referee ruled the pass incomplete, I guess assuming the receiver never had possession which he clearly did. Calhoun got the ball, punted back to Peach with about a minute to go and Peach was unable to score. I guess High School football does not use replay.

I really had no rooting interest in the game other than knowing a recruit for Tech was playing, but I just feel sorry for the kids from Peach County. Such a bad call and probably it cost them a State Championship.

The kicker Finneran looked pretty good also. I think we are trying to get him as PWO.

Go Jackets!

A lot of comments about the game under JaQuez's thread in the recruiting section but, yes, Peach County got screwed out a state championship!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
That Non-Touchdown call was one of the worst calls I've seen in all the years I've watched and listened to high school football:vomit: The quality of high school officials isn't very high:rolleyes:

The quality of HS officiating follows right on along with the quality at the collegiate and pro level. In other words typically lousy!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

AJC Opinion: Peach County wants a hearing, but won’t win
Peach County is asking for a hearing with the Georgia High School Association’s board of trustees this week over an official’s call that might’ve cost the Trojans a touchdown or even the game in their 10-6 loss to Calhoun on Friday in the Class AAA football championship.

The middle Georgia school sent GHSA executive director Robin Hines and the board of trustees a letter on Saturday asking for the meeting, superintendent Dr. Daryl Fineran confirmed Sunday. Peach County officials plan to deliver it in person again on Monday.

”We’ve got to do it for our kids,’’ Fineran said. ‘’It was a mistake made by adults that needs to be corrected by adults on Monday. You didn’t see our coaches raising Cain or kids misbehaving after the game. We’ve handled it the right way. Now it’s time for adults to get together and resolve it. I’m optimistic.’’

Symbolically, it’s a good idea.

Realistically, it has no real chance. Not a snowball’s.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
From the angle I have seen it's hard to say he was 100 percent out of bounds, also it doesn't show if he was pushed out of bounds and came back in as fast as possible

Full play his left foot is clearly on white and no defender near him to push him. However, supposedly going out and back in for HS is different rule (read: allowed to on your own accord and still touch ball on play) from college/pro so who knows.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Full play his left foot is clearly on white and no defender near him to push him. However, supposedly going out and back in for HS is different rule (read: allowed to on your own accord and still touch ball on play) from college/pro so who knows.
I see, but the player was around 2 yards behind him so he could have easily been forced out even though he was past the defender. However, that does seem unlikely.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
On the video it appears that the ball is loose, or at least he does not have control of it, before he reaches into the endzone with it.

SS he tucks it away, turns up field (2-3 steps) and as he stretches out over the goal line the ball comes loose when it hit the ground. Peach County got screwed!

SS he tucks it away, turns up field (2-3 steps) and as he stretches out over the goal line the ball comes loose when it hit the ground. Peach County got screwed!
Not saying it was an incomplete pass; the refs were wrong on that. But it does appear to be a fumble into the endzone. So Peach County COULD have recovered it for a TD, the other team COULD have recovered it for a touch back, the ball COULD have rolled out of the end zone for a touch back, or it COULD have been given to Peach County on the one foot line. But IMO it wasn't a TD. The refs obviously screwed up, but I still don't think he scored on that play.