Payroll Comparison

Natsdd

Georgia Tech Fan
Now that any pretense of amateurism is a thing of the past I am curious who has the biggest roster payroll in the state? I think the Atlanta Falcons roster size is 53 + 7 or 8 on their practice squad. Ugag would have 85 highly recruited players with nil deals + 20 walk in’s which probably get a stipend. I suspect Ugags QB is paid more than the Falcons QB and some of their linemen are probaby paid as well as some of the Falcons lineman are. Do you think Ugag total roster payroll is as much as the Falcons is on an annual basis?

What about the overhead payrolls - coaches salaries and support staff? How do Ugag and the Falcons compare?

How does revenue compare? I guess Falcons get more tv money but ugag gets more ticket and tee shirt revenue?

In short does Ugag or the Falcons have the greater economic impact and how far behind are the Jackets?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Now that any pretense of amateurism is a thing of the past I am curious who has the biggest roster payroll in the state? I think the Atlanta Falcons roster size is 53 + 7 or 8 on their practice squad. Ugag would have 85 highly recruited players with nil deals + 20 walk in’s which probably get a stipend. I suspect Ugags QB is paid more than the Falcons QB and some of their linemen are probaby paid as well as some of the Falcons lineman are. Do you think Ugag total roster payroll is as much as the Falcons is on an annual basis?

What about the overhead payrolls - coaches salaries and support staff? How do Ugag and the Falcons compare?

How does revenue compare? I guess Falcons get more tv money but ugag gets more ticket and tee shirt revenue?

In short does Ugag or the Falcons have the greater economic impact and how far behind are the Jackets?
Much of the NIL estimates that are posted online are far off of what the players actually receive. However, even if you consider those estimates as true, the entire mutt revenue was $203 million in 2022. That doesn't include NIL money from a collective. But consider that the salary cap for the Falcons is $218 million. That is just what the players make. It does not include coaches, staff, etc. The Falcons pay their players more than the ENTIRE mutt athletic department receives in a year. The entire revenue of the Falcons was $544 million in 2022. As a direct comparison: Falcons $544 million, mutts entire athletic department $203 million.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

who cares what ugag or the falcons do? even less, how that compares to us.

saban and his buddies will bring CFB back to reality, or they won't. If they don't, big/sec will do their thing, and nobody will miss them.

I have bad news for you: ugag is the state school, and Tech is a specialty school. We are a fraction of their size, and we are significantly less accessible.

Natsdd

Georgia Tech Fan
Much of the NIL estimates that are posted online are far off of what the players actually receive. However, even if you consider those estimates as true, the entire mutt revenue was $203 million in 2022. That doesn't include NIL money from a collective. But consider that the salary cap for the Falcons is $218 million. That is just what the players make. It does not include coaches, staff, etc. The Falcons pay their players more than the ENTIRE mutt athletic department receives in a year. The entire revenue of the Falcons was $544 million in 2022. As a direct comparison: Falcons $544 million, mutts entire athletic department $203 million.
Thanks, I don’t follow the nfl closely and I am surprised their payroll is so high.When I saw a few minutes of the Falcons on tv this year the stadium was not full and I dont think it’s as large as ugags is. The nfl tv deal must be source of the additional revenue.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks, I don’t follow the nfl closely and I am surprised their payroll is so high.When I saw a few minutes of the Falcons on tv this year the stadium was not full and I dont think it’s as large as ugags is. The nfl tv deal must be source of the additional revenue.
The SEC's revenue distribution to each school from the TV deal is 53 million, the ACC's is about 39 million, while the NFL's is around 250 million. The Falcons are the least-watched team in the NFL averaging 6.8 million viewers per game, for comparison the NFL league-wide average is 16.9 million per game and 2023 uGA/GT on ESPN got 5.3 million.

The Falcons' stadium is smaller, but even with fewer people I expect they make more revenue - by virtue of having more suites, which is where the real money is made. The NFL's salary cap and relatively low minimum wage is really the only reason pay is even comparable. The NFL is a business an order of magnitude bigger than even the SEC. It's why they can build billion-dollar stadiums subsidized by entire states every 20 years.

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Here’s some more detail from a former GM -

That makes it sound like $150 million in pure profit. It doesn't include extra money for retirement, insurance, performance payments, etc. It doesn't include money paid to coaches and staff. It doesn't include operating expenses. It also doesn't include local revenue from ticket sales, concessions, and local sponsorships.

Maybe the tweet didn't intend to sound that way, but it does sound like he is insinuating that the teams net $150 million after paying the players.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That makes it sound like $150 million in pure profit. It doesn't include extra money for retirement, insurance, performance payments, etc. It doesn't include money paid to coaches and staff. It doesn't include operating expenses. It also doesn't include local revenue from ticket sales, concessions, and local sponsorships.

Maybe the tweet didn't intend to sound that way, but it does sound like he is insinuating that the teams net $150 million after paying the players.
It says revenue. Revenue ≠ profit

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

I would hope ticket sales and merch sales cover keeping the lights on. I would assume the some of the remaining $150m goes to the staff, and facilities and all. People forget owners are in this to MAKE money. Not break even LOL.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It says revenue. Revenue ≠ profit
I understand that. It is apparent from the replies to his twitter post that there are many people who do not.

If he isn't trying to insinuate that revenue is the same as profit, then what is he trying to say? His statement is basically that even after "all their player costs" the owners still have $150 million just from NFL distributions. The salary cap doesn't include "all their player costs" only salary. The NFL website announcement about the salary cap says "Total 2024 player costs will be $329.4 million per club" because it includes an additional $74 million per team for performance based pay and retired player benefits. When someone replies that it is a percentage and the salary cap goes up when overall revenue goes up, his response is "There is a lot of league revenue that is not shared with players.."

It seems apparent to me that he is trying to make the numbers look like something they are not. Even if you and I understand what the words he is using actually mean, he is still trying to use them to make people believe something that the words to not actually mean.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I understand that. It is apparent from the replies to his twitter post that there are many people who do not.

If he isn't trying to insinuate that revenue is the same as profit, then what is he trying to say? His statement is basically that even after "all their player costs" the owners still have $150 million just from NFL distributions. The salary cap doesn't include "all their player costs" only salary. The NFL website announcement about the salary cap says "Total 2024 player costs will be $329.4 million per club" because it includes an additional $74 million per team for performance based pay and retired player benefits. When someone replies that it is a percentage and the salary cap goes up when overall revenue goes up, his response is "There is a lot of league revenue that is not shared with players.."

It seems apparent to me that he is trying to make the numbers look like something they are not. Even if you and I understand what the words he is using actually mean, he is still trying to use them to make people believe something that the words to not actually mean.
Reminds me of a friend who was offended a few years back that Aetna posted like a $6B annual profit. Until I reminded her that they had so many subscribers that their net profit per subscriber was about $150.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Most of those seats are already paid for through seat licenses and season tickets, so attendance isn’t necessarily an indicator of revenue.