Paul Johnson

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I wouldnt put Ga as a test case for ou;r offenese..yes they have talent but its clear they have many guys who makae mistakes on the defense and remember......they pups were after Granthams butt.Yep we score twenty and then .........we take time off and dont make the plays on OFFENSE when we need to..Big differenece on our defense side.We have maybe three guys that are blue chips so stopping folks will be hard to do...Now if our scheme is that good and I admit my friend its got its points........why do we lose to Ga and the big uns every year....Look over the games and you will see we get stuffed at the line of scrimmage when we play the big guys.......this hurts.

+1

Mack

Helluva Engineer
We moved the LOS enough to average 25 points against the biguns. Sometimes you need the D to lead the way. Like I said, the best teams in the country have defenses good enough to win ten+ games a year if they matched our scoring average.
I suggest my friend you go back over the games we lost........Clemson was blowout period.Last td was trash,Vt only ten points so that one is not Defense fault,BYU when we need to get it done we didnt and Ga we had onlly one really good half..In fact until the fourth quarter Worley had 33 yds in 11 carries..Miami handled us at LOS ...Look back and see on the score by quarter when we scored the last td in the games we lost.I would think most of them are trash tds like Clemson.Again to keep beating a dead horse.Give me the guys to run the option totally and I will change my mind .

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't Pollack. It was the African-American guy who was the color commentator for the game. He was asked why more teams didn't run this system and his response was something like "Because it's hard to recruit for this system because none of your better players want to play in a system like this."

There is the question. If what we have is so wonderful... Why are more teams not running it?
Not talking directly at you dabuzz.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here's a very telling stat:

We played 6 games against FBS teams with winning records (iow, good teams.) Our D gave up an average of 36 points in those contests. VT, on the other hand, played 8 games against similar competition. They gave up an average of 21 points in those contests. Clemson: 31 (not great, but better than us)

*outlier alert: Miami only played 4 teams of this sort and gave up an average of 40 points!
Duke only played 4 as well and zero ranked teams while we played 3.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I suggest my friend you go back over the games we lost........Clemson was blowout period.Last td was trash,Vt only ten points so that one is not Defense fault,BYU when we need to get it done we didnt and Ga we had onlly one really good half..In fact until the fourth quarter Worley had 33 yds in 11 carries..Miami handled us at LOS ...Look back and see on the score by quarter when we scored the last td in the games we lost.I would think most of them are trash tds like Clemson.Again to keep beating a dead horse.Give me the guys to run the option totally and I will change my mind .

To piggy back here Mack, our offense has made our defense look really bad at times this year. For example the Clemson game... Our defense allowed 55 points yes, but in Clemson's first 4 possessions we held them to 13 points. No bad at all against one of the best offenses in the country. And meanwhile our offense went 3 and out the first 3 possessions. And punted on our first 4 possessions of that game. It takes the offense working together with the defense to win a game. The offense did not help at all until later in the game when we were behind the 8 ball.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Here's a very telling stat:

We played 6 games against FBS teams with winning records (iow, good teams.) Our D gave up an average of 36 points in those contests. VT, on the other hand, played 8 games against similar competition. They gave up an average of 21 points in those contests. Clemson: 31 (not great, but better than us)

*outlier alert: Miami only played 4 teams of this sort and gave up an average of 40 points!
Duke only played 4 as well and zero ranked teams while we played 3.

But go back and look at how many 3 and outs, false starts/chop blocks, and punts our offense had in those games. Our offense gave the opposing teams the ball more which in turn wore our defense down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree all our losses were frustrating. We didn't get it done, period. However, there were times in each game where we did. Every single game. We just could not maintain that high level for 60 full minutes.

Last year, our O was head and shoulders above our D. This year, our O slipped a little (though the statistical production is almost identical) and our D came up a good bit. Neither is where we need it to be. On that I'm sure we can agree.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
To piggy back here Mack, our offense has made our defense look really bad at times this year. For example the Clemson game... Our defense allowed 55 points yes, but in Clemson's first 4 possessions we held them to 13 points. No bad at all against one of the best offenses in the country. And meanwhile our offense went 3 and out the first 3 possessions. And punted on our first 4 possessions of that game. It takes the offense working together with the defense to win a game. The offense did not help at all until later in the game when we were behind the 8 ball.
That is true but indicative of nothing. The very opposite is also true and also meaning nothing. Later in the Clemson game when our offense got on track (we actually got within 10 points in the second half) our D completely and utterly screwed the pooch. I remember one very distinct moment: Godhigh made a huge play to score a td to cut the lead to 10. We had ALL the momentum and needed a defensive stop to keep the ball rolling. What does the D do? The give up an 80 yard play and Clemson pushes the lead back to 17 in less than a minute. Game on turns into game over in 1 minute!

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I agree all our losses were frustrating. We didn't get it done, period. However, there were times in each game where we did. Every single game. We just could not maintain that high level for 60 full minutes.

Last year, our O was head and shoulders above our D. This year, our O slipped a little (though the statistical production is almost identical) and our D came up a good bit. Neither is where we need it to be. On that I'm sure we can agree.

Stick with this. This post makes the most sense of our situation.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
That is true but indicative of nothing. The very opposite is also true and also meaning nothing. Later in the Clemson game when our offense got on track (we actually got within 10 points in the second half) our D completely and utterly screwed the pooch. I remember one very distinct moment: Godhigh made a huge play to score a td to cut the lead to 10. We had ALL the momentum and needed a defensive stop to keep the ball rolling. What does the D do? The give up an 80 yard play and Clemson pushes the lead back to 17 in less than a minute. Game on turns into game over in 1 minute!

Its indicative that by the time our offense decided to play, our defense was frustrated and worn out.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Its indicative that by the time our offense decided to play, our defense was frustrated and worn out.
I'll agree with the worn out part. The frustration was equally of their own doing not being able to get off the field. The td run by Robbie cutting the lead to 10 should have erased all that anyway. They should have been more pumped at that moment than any other the entire game.

Mack

Helluva Engineer

Stats are good for arguments but main thing is wins vs losses and our O production on paper vs weak teams was great but not so vs big uns.Look at the scores we lost to...we were two tds down in the final whistle.Yeah we may have and did get some trash or moral tds but with at least three games we were not in the mix.VT we could have won but not in game vs Miami,BYU and Miami late in third quarter.My point is unless we have total package at QB that can run and throw we seem to get in a third and five call and we dont do well.Now look live only fifty miles from the Boro and have watched the Eagles several times and they have the folks to play this offense..I think we go to the spread and we get better athletes plus make it more exciting on Saturday.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I'll agree with the worn out part. The frustration was equally of their own doing not being able to get off the field. The td run by Robbie cutting the lead to 10 should have erased all that anyway. They should have been more pumped at that moment than any other the entire game.
Well Cheesie let me make a point.....for past few years I think we have lacked a on the field leader such as a JN etc.I only saw us ready to play once this whole year and that was vs georgie..now I know PJ dont run and tackle but its up to him to have folks prepared.Six years and we seem to grope around at times like a junior high team.No jumping up ,no glad hands etc.hard for a old coach like me to think they are ready to play.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Go back my friend..........by the time we scored our last given td by the tigers we were way way behind...It was clear from the first q;uarter that we couldnt run on them and they could on us....we got manhandled and the score was not indication of how bad we got our *** beat ...in my humble opinion

Mack

Helluva Engineer

Agreed.......need hosses on both sides of the ball and soon !

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Go back my friend..........by the time we scored our last given td by the tigers we were way way behind...It was clear from the first q;uarter that we couldnt run on them and they could on us....we got manhandled and the score was not indication of how bad we got our *** beat ...in my humble opinion
I just did. At 12:08 in the third qtr, we scored to cut the lead to 10. Clemson scored touchdowns on four consecutive possessions after that. The first one was the back breaker, though, because it happened so quickly and so easily. We suddenly made it a game and they just as quickly made it not one.

Our D forced them to punt twice the entire game. (final punt with a minute to go with the game in hand not counted.) They made one interception. Every other Clemson possession produced points, most of which were tds.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Mack, l respect that you don't like our offense and that you feel like another offense would be better.

But please do not assert that there's "on paper" evidence to support your feeling without clarifying what that is.

You mention the CU game. After a couple minutes of the 3rd qtr, we had scored more than any other team had for the game except georgie fsu and scar (excepting mds garbage score at the end).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
According to footballoutsiders, we're #30, #22 offense. Every team that beat us is ranked above us and is either top 15 D or top 6 offense. We did this largely without being able to run option well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
According to that fo stat, we've had a top 30 offense every year but 2010 under cpj: 29, 6, 49, 16, 22, 22; top 25 for four of last 5.

That's an opponent-adjusted stat.