Paul Johnson on Knoxville radio

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Are the other ACC coaches selling ACC as much as CPJ is?

Only a few minutes in and he already took a quick jab at the SEC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There's always been talent in the ACC to be a national player, it's more of lack of great coaches. ACC produces the 2nd most NFL players every year, and in some seasons we've had the most players in the 1st round. FSU showed last season what the SEC isn't some invincible conference that's head and shoulders above all the other conferences.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
However, I do fear Auburn will boat race everyone they play this year.
Their schedule is tough. LSU, @Bama, South Carolina and @uga. Not going to boat race them all, would probably be happy with 2-2 as long as Bama is a win.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There's always been talent in the ACC to be a national player, it's more of lack of great coaches. ACC produces the 2nd most NFL players every year, and in some seasons we've had the most players in the 1st round. FSU showed last season what the SEC isn't some invincible conference that's head and shoulders above all the other conferences.
I agree, but SEC homers just say FSU is misplaced, and I kinda agree with that, too. They really have more in common with the SEC factories than they do with most of the conference members. I'd also throw Clemson in the same bag, as well. VT want to be in that bag, but nah.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but SEC homers just say FSU is misplaced, and I kinda agree with that, too. They really have more in common with the SEC factories than they do with most of the conference members. I'd also throw Clemson in the same bag, as well. VT want to be in that bag, but nah.
So, any team from another conference that beats an SEC team should really be in the SEC. I get it. So Oklahoma, Michigan State, Clemson, FSU, almost Duke . . . .;)

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
So, any team from another conference that beats an SEC team should really be in the SEC. I get it. So Oklahoma, Michigan State, Clemson, FSU, almost Duke . . . .;)
I know you are joking, but to be serious for a sec, I think his comment has to do with schools somewhat holding athletics over academics and fan bases.

Unfortunately that applies to too many ACC schools now, FSU, UNC, Louisville, Clemson, and probably more but debatable obviously.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Didn't mention Stanford as one of top academically. Seems it should be and wouldn't they have more wins than us?

I would give credit to Vandy as a good academic school in the SEC but can't think of any others although A & M and Florida are higher than the rest of the SEC schools IMO. My son was a "true" Aggie, 4 year member of the Corps and getting his Navy commission there. In the 1970s, I recruited a couple of years at Florida (also GaTech) for HP. Don't recall other SEC schools being recruited.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what those guys were smoking, but I want some of it right now.

Virtually everybody they have us in trouble with either lost the farm on one side of the ball or the other (the Turkies, Pitt, Clempson, NCST) or were beaten by us last year (Puke). Shoot, the only two teams on the schedule that we didn't beat and have everybody (mostly) coming back are da U (and they have QB experience problems, a difficult situation in their O) and the Mutts.

I think this is a symptom of the I-wouldn't-recognize-a system-offense-if-it-came-up-and-bit-me-on-the-butt problem. Every year, people look at who we have lost on O and conclude that we'll have trouble moving the ball; recall what folks said about last year. And every year, we do just about the same as usual or a bit better. I don't blame people who are SEC fans for this; since Urban Meyer left, they haven't seen a successful system O in that conference. But I'm penciling us in for 7 - 8 wins at the minimum and, with a little luck, much more then that. And it'll all depend on the D.