Paul Johnson....looks ahead too...We gonna run the table out

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
he got caught up in the moment. I'm sure he's going to ensure a great focus on UVA. It wasn't typical coach speak, for sure.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
When they win, CPJ relaxes a little. He believes in hard work and that solid effort can carry a team a long way. So do I. I've seen a lot of criticism in the past from various sources questioning when CPJ is yelling at the guys or getting in their grilles during a game. He's trying to get their attention to focus and win. In this video, he is being openly optimistic because of the result. GT fought hard, didn't quit, stayed in the game until the end, and found an opportunity to win. It's a message that needed to be said and heard after so much frustration this season. Do the same every game and GT can win out.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
You can criticize it as 'looking ahead'. You could also say he knows his players are really beat down psychologically after 5 straight losses, and he's seizing the opportunity to get them excited and renewed about the rest of the season. You could also say he's reaffirming his belief in them with a statement of confidence. And he's not really 'looking ahead' in the sense that's usually meant, meaning he's talking about or preparing the team for the VPISU game already before they've even played UVA.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
Playing 9 games before our first real off week is brutal. We could have used a week about three games ago to reset.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ran into Tom Cooksey pregame. He said the team had their hardest practice to date last week. I think CPJ does a pretty good job with the carrot and stick. Ride this mo through UVA and get to our bye. We need it.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
You can criticize it as 'looking ahead'. You could also say he knows his players are really beat down psychologically after 5 straight losses, and he's seizing the opportunity to get them excited and renewed about the rest of the season. You could also say he's reaffirming his belief in them with a statement of confidence. And he's not really 'looking ahead' in the sense that's usually meant, meaning he's talking about or preparing the team for the VPISU game already before they've even played UVA.
This is the one.

He is philosophically opposed (almost to the point of superstition) to "looking ahead." You don't know how strictly that talk of specific future games is frowned-upon! You focus only on the next opponent out loud. So, I would only say not to over-think what he said in a fun locker room speech. Make no mistake about it-- his intent is for us to run the table on out. But, it'll have to happen one game at a time.

His sole focus by yesterday morning was to debrief Saturday and start getting ready for the next game.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Woh. Who said criticizing. Reading way too much into my post. The point is coaches are human too and everybody gets caught up in future success.

Really the point of it for me was all the silly fans that say don't look ahead one game at a time as a fan it's silly that's all

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
You can't run the table without winning the next game, so in effect he's still saying to win the next one.
And I have confidence that we will run the table! Some of our goals are still out there for us.