Paul Johnson effect on Quick Lane Bowl Ratings

Will 2018 Quick Lane Bowl have the most Attendance & TV viewers in its short history

• Yes

Votes: 57 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 59 50.9%

• Total voters

GTFLETCH

Banned
Quick Lane Bowl TV Ratings
2.87M - Quick Lane Bowl -December 26, 2014 (Rutgers/North Carolina) Attendance 23,876
1.486M - Quick Lane Bowl -December 28, 2015 (Minnesota/CMU) Attendance 34,217
3.01M - Quick Lane Bowl -December 26, 2016 (BC/Maryland) Attendance 19,117
2.526M - Quick Lane Bowl -December 26, 2017 (Duke/NIU) Attendance 20,211

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The truth is nobody in Minnesota has a clue about Tech or Johnson, just as you could have said "PJ Fleck" to me all night and drawn a blank.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks like low 20s in attendance except the one year they invited the local team.

Seems like you’d always want a close by team in. Dumb to invite a team from halfway across the continent

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure PJ retirement is really relevant to anyone outside of GT. I saw some espn media around Bill Snyder’s retirement, and a short special on his career but nothing about Paul

Not all that surprising given how he approaches the media

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not sure PJ retirement is really relevant to anyone outside of GT. I saw some espn media around Bill Snyder’s retirement, and a short special on his career but nothing about Paul

Not all that surprising given how he approaches the media
Now, come on. Take a deep breath and ask yourself: when and how did Paul Johnson mistreat the national media? A couple of Atlanta radio bobbleheads got dialed up for their cupidity? (I listened to that radio exchange and what I heard were two guys determined to start a fight, even if they had to purposely "not understand" what a recruit's commitment meant. At the end they got their fight and looked kinda stupid as a result.) An AJC reporter who got stiffed by a petty Johnson, but who as a good reporter would, shrugged it off and kept reporting? That's it? A columnist for the AJC did not like him all that much, but did not have that much to do with Georgia Tech, either. Like all columnists everywhere he is paid to have an opinion on everything, including one on that which he knows not.

I thought and wrote that Johnson was needlessly abrupt and sometimes churlish, and for a grown man could act awfully childish, and that part of his contract surely included media relations, so I am not handcuffed to him. I think it was worse toward the end and should have been the tipoff to us that he was looking for the door. So he had some problems sometimes. So what? The professional "media", including an ESPN reporter, and the press covering him at the Naval Academy, generally enjoyed their exchanges as brusque as he might be. If their feelings got hurt they got over it, which is what a professional is paid to do.

So it shakes out to a couple of yowling radioheads looking for conflict by accusing Johnson of breaching some sort of barrier by trying to recruit another school's commitments. Not those who had signed. Those who had committed to sign. You know, the way those schools recruited his commitments, the way it happens nationally. But who got miffed when they could not answer Johnson's simple question of, "If they are talking to me, then how committed are they?"

Maybe he would have been better off had he not finally said he would "repeat it again, real slow, so you can understand it." Maybe. But I am glad he said it.

Now as for Snyder, let's acknowledge he is a legend at Kansas State. One who overstayed his legend.

Say what you will. But we will miss that four-down offense.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Now, come on. Take a deep breath and ask yourself: when and how did Paul Johnson mistreat the national media? A couple of Atlanta radio bobbleheads got dialed up for their cupidity? (I listened to that radio exchange and what I heard were two guys determined to start a fight, even if they had to purposely "not understand" what a recruit's commitment meant. At the end they got their fight and looked kinda stupid as a result.) An AJC reporter who got stiffed by a petty Johnson, but who as a good reporter would, shrugged it off and kept reporting? That's it? A columnist for the AJC did not like him all that much, but did not have that much to do with Georgia Tech, either. Like all columnists everywhere he is paid to have an opinion on everything, including one on that which he knows not.

I thought and wrote that Johnson was needlessly abrupt and sometimes churlish, and for a grown man could act awfully childish, and that part of his contract surely included media relations, so I am not handcuffed to him. I think it was worse toward the end and should have been the tipoff to us that he was looking for the door. So he had some problems sometimes. So what? The professional "media", including an ESPN reporter, and the press covering him at the Naval Academy, generally enjoyed their exchanges as brusque as he might be. If their feelings got hurt they got over it, which is what a professional is paid to do.

So it shakes out to a couple of yowling radioheads looking for conflict by accusing Johnson of breaching some sort of barrier by trying to recruit another school's commitments. Not those who had signed. Those who had committed to sign. You know, the way those schools recruited his commitments, the way it happens nationally. But who got miffed when they could not answer Johnson's simple question of, "If they are talking to me, then how committed are they?"

Maybe he would have been better off had he not finally said he would "repeat it again, real slow, so you can understand it." Maybe. But I am glad he said it.

Now as for Snyder, let's acknowledge he is a legend at Kansas State. One who overstayed his legend.

Say what you will. But we will miss that four-down offense.

I didn’t say he mistreated the media. Just was stating that he was never proactive in engaging the media, locally or nationally. He was a playcaller, not a salesman. Not something he cared about, or spent time
Investing in. As a result, PJ isn’t a brand name at all, despite an impressive resume, and I doubt it being his last game is really on anyone’s radar enough to impact attendance or ratings.