Paul Johnson: #9 Most Powerful Coach in CFB

Status
Not open for further replies.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't see how you can leave out Jimbo Fisher. Forbes has just gone to pot over the last ten years.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
It is absurd to pay this much money to coaches. It is way beyond reasonable. This is one reason I refuse to watch any pro games; the salaries for the pro players are also ridiculous.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
It is absurd to pay this much money to coaches. It is way beyond reasonable. This is one reason I refuse to watch any pro games; the salaries for the pro players are also ridiculous.
I'd say with the inherent risks of bodily harm, brain damage, etc.., that the players are underpaid and that the coaches'/owners' share is too large.

Any more risky than a fire fighter? How does that salary comparison work out?

Go look at a 70 y/o firefighter and then go look at a 70 y/o former NFL player, if that NFL player is still alive, then do a comparison?

Also, there is no Firefighter Channel on my cable package, so the marketplace is not interested in them enough to elevate their salaries like Pro Athletes..

9. Paul Johnson
Salary: $2.5 million
Football budget: $16.5 million
Team: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Conference: ACC

An innovator of the triple option scheme, Johnson has had a decent track record at Georgia Tech, collecting one BCS bowl appearance in six seasons. He doesn't have an expensive buyout, but he is paid nearly 40% of the school's coaching expenses.
-------------------------------------

The reason CPJ is on that list is because GT cannot really afford him, our GTAA has a relatively small budget in comparison to the other schools on that list.

To have one guy that is paid 40% of a school's coaching expenses put a lot of pressure on that HC to win big, and he has not done that in a long time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Go look at a 70 y/o firefighter and then go look at a 70 y/o former NFL player, if that NFL player is still alive, then do a comparison?

Also, there is no Firefighter Channel on my cable package, so the marketplace is not interested in them enough to elevate their salaries like Pro Athletes..
I agree about market value affecting salaries 100%. But that's not what I was responding to with my comment. If you're gonna piggyback in a conversation, you need to be aware of what and who people are responding to.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
9. Paul Johnson
Salary: $2.5 million
Football budget: $16.5 million
Team: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Conference: ACC

An innovator of the triple option scheme, Johnson has had a decent track record at Georgia Tech, collecting one BCS bowl appearance in six seasons. He doesn't have an expensive buyout, but he is paid nearly 40% of the school's coaching expenses.
-------------------------------------

The reason CPJ is on that list is because GT cannot really afford him, our GTAA has a relatively small budget in comparison to the other schools on that list.

To have one guy that is paid 40% of a school's coaching expenses put a lot of pressure on that HC to win big, and he has not done that in a long time.
Has it occurred to you that it takes offering 40% of our coaching budget to lure any half decent coach to GT?

Has it occurred to you that it takes offering 40% of our coaching budget to lure any half decent coach to GT?

If we cannot afford that level of HC then we should have called his bluff when Auburn did NOT call him.

in 6 years vs. D1-A competition, CPJ is 39-31, (.557)CPJ has played 9 lower level cupcakes in 6 years.

in 6 years vs. D1-A competition, CCG was 41-32, (.562)Chan played 3 lower level cupcakes in 6 years.

seems like both of these guys qualifies as half-decent, so why did we fire one, but when the current guy performs at a half-decent level, there's no hot seat and he seems to have plenty of job security.

Chan's last 4 years that got him fired 30-21

CPJ's last 4 years that have him very secure at GT 28-24

My point for posting all those stats is, do we even know what constitutes half-decent anymore?

It seems as is the GTAA has lower standards for our FB coach current-day than we had for our FB coach just 6 short years ago, are our standards going down for what we expect from GT FB?

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Any more risky than a fire fighter? How does that salary comparison work out?
I'd bet that over the next decade it will be revealed that effectively every NFL player is suffering from some amount of brain damage.

If we are talking only risk of death then, you are correct and that fire fighters have a higher risk of death. If we include the risks of brain damage, permanent bodily harm, and odds of being able to live a long normal life after retirement from NFL/FF then, the NFL players win that argument. Much shorter careers but, nearly guaranteed to get brain damage.

And while the topic of salary is out there: Teachers are far underpaid and the minimum wage should be $22/hr. That's all I'll say on that unless someone drags me back into it.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Reply to DTGT: There are many jobs that are more dangerous than a football, basketball, or baseball player. The Police, Firefighters, and Military are much more dangerous. The professional, high paid, players want to sign a contract which means they are their own employer, yet they want compensation from sport's unions and the league. They are really ignorant in their perspective of being important. The mother who raises their children are much more important than they will ever become. They are nothing more than high paid egotists who think they are some kind of god. I will not pay any money or honor to their selfish efforts. If College sports starts paying the athletes to get an education, I will immediately drop College sports as being a fan of College football. I loved sports and played because it was fun, and I enjoyed it, but it is not an end within itself.

I regret that I quit college and went to work after the first year. I would have loved to have been a College Coach, but it would not have been for the money. It would have been to help mold the values of the participants and the idea of the competition. The last pro game of any type that I have watched was the last year Pete Maravich played professional basketball. I watched then only because he was such a great entertainer and wizard with the basketball. I have not even allowed myself to watch a World Series, Football or Basketball Championships. The players make me sick with their big egos.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If we cannot afford that level of HC then we should have called his bluff when Auburn did NOT call him.

in 6 years vs. D1-A competition, CPJ is 39-31, (.557)CPJ has played 9 lower level cupcakes in 6 years.

in 6 years vs. D1-A competition, CCG was 41-32, (.562)Chan played 3 lower level cupcakes in 6 years.

seems like both of these guys qualifies as half-decent, so why did we fire one, but when the current guy performs at a half-decent level, there's no hot seat and he seems to have plenty of job security.

Chan's last 4 years that got him fired 30-21

CPJ's last 4 years that have him very secure at GT 28-24

My point for posting all those stats is, do we even know what constitutes half-decent anymore?

It seems as is the GTAA has lower standards for our FB coach current-day than we had for our FB coach just 6 short years ago, are our standards going down for what we expect from GT FB?
I am sorry to the board for enabling someone's agenda. My bad.

I am sorry to the board for enabling someone's agenda. My bad.

You threw out a term half-decent and didn't define what that meant, so to be fair, I simply asked what half-decent is and showed that numerically, our current half-decent HC is the same as the guy we fired that wasn't thought of as half-decent.

Are you one of those GT fans that loved to talk W-L records after our HC's first two years, but when it is mentioned now, you act as if someone is personally attacking you?

No one has an agenda, if you are going to throw around terms like half-decent, then define what it is.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Only 1 .500 and no losing conference record in 6 yrs, for a starter.

No acc team, let alone coach has done better, on this metric,

Status
Not open for further replies.