Paul Davis Penalty

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For some who may not internet much, this image may explain some of what you have seen the last couple of days:

tumblr_lzmpra6NFz1qd0we3o1_500.png

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
re play calling. It is awful easy, and often erroneous, to say a play call was bad when it wasn't executed properly.
We have to be able to pass on first down occasionally...have to. When the D loads the box and puts corners on islands...we have to attack that with passes some...have to.
It's hard not to Monday mornin QB the game plan. Hindsight is 20/20. When the plays were called they were good play calls.
When the road gets rough CPJ reverts to our strength.

This^^^ needs to be repeated. The play CALL doesn't suck just because it was not executed properly.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
re play calling. It is awful easy, and often erroneous, to say a play call was bad when it wasn't executed properly.
We have to be able to pass on first down occasionally...have to. When the D loads the box and puts corners on islands...we have to attack that with passes some...have to.
It's hard not to Monday mornin QB the game plan. Hindsight is 20/20. When the plays were called they were good play calls.
When the road gets rough CPJ reverts to our strength.
I do think there is some middle ground. In the post-game locker room interview after Tulane CPJ gave himself serious grief over calling the pass play where Thomas threw the interception. I do think since coach can sometimes, even if very infrequently, regret a specific play call then it is possible that we can argue over one or another specific play. But, I definitely think broad declarations like "the play calling sucks" are basically just emoting.

I have had an issue with 2 very specific single play calls in the last two years that I can recall at the moment. I pretty much assume I do not have enough perspective or insight to form a strong opinion about most or almost all play calls. I reserve my bloviating for just a very select few and typically no more than one per game. :)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
First of all, let me say that I am NOT a CPJ hater. I like him as a man and as our coach. But for me what changed the game yesterday was not the bizarre penalty against Davis, it was Tech's first offensive series in the second half. Why did we come out passing after cramming it down GSU's throat on the ground in the first half with just enough passes thrown in to confuse the Eagles? Coming out passing for no apparent reason with a 25 point lead reminds me way too much of the Utah Sun Bowl, the 2012 Miami game, and, most recently, the 2013 Georgia game. It APPEARS to me that Johnson doesn't know how to handle a big lead. Instead of continuing with what works, he starts playing games, and invariably that has backfired on him. We were fortunate to win yesterday, and I am happy with that win, but I really feel like if we had come out in attack mode at the top of the second half, none of what in fact followed would have. Johnson often blames these things on a failure to execute, but there's no way of saying that about the first offensive series of the second half, when what he did was call plays that he hadn't been calling in the first half and IMO didn't need to be calling when he did. He needs to get a killer instinct and just keep pounding and pounding with what obviously works. When it stops working, then and only then is there a need to try something different. That's just my 2 cents worth.
I did not like the play call either. But I think what CPJ was thinking was that Southern was stuffing the box and was going to get a big momentum swing by stopping our runs for short gain and getting a quick three and out. He thought if we surprised them with a pass they would instantly be back on their heels. Maybe he was over thinking it. But like he always says, "If it works you look like a genius; if it doesn't work you look like an idiot."

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I think CPJ knows he's gonna need JT to throw the ball this week vs VPI, and part of his thinking was to show confidence in him and hopefully get him back on track

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
as bad a play that it was...hard to blame that 1 play on losing focus for the rest of the game. I'll take a lucky ugly win over a pretty loss any day of the week.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
The play calling was excellent and the execution great in the first half (35 points!!!). They adjust to us and execution also drops on a few plays and many seem to think it was CPJ's fault due to his crappy second half play calling.

I am just glad that CPJ regained his ability to call better plays on the last drive!!! :) So easy to be an armchair coach.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yes, CPJ confirmed last night during the call in that PD got popped pretty good by a GSU and got knocked down as the ball bounced around. He swung at the guy but missed (think he was still not fully back up on his feet).