Pastner v bell

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought they were tried and convicted under the AZ code and found guilty. Is this a different charge or the Federal version of the same offense. Doesn't double jeopardy limit this considerable?
These are Federal charges, not state charges, so double jeopardy does not apply.
Similar to how a Federal pardon only protects you from Federal charges, but provides no protection against state charges (and vice versa).
Also because the alleged crimes happened here, it is US Attorney's in GA in charge of this.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
These are Federal charges, not state charges, so double jeopardy does not apply.
Similar to how a Federal pardon only protects you from Federal charges, but provides no protection against state charges (and vice versa).
Also because the alleged crimes happened here, it is US Attorney's in GA in charge of this.
Thanks. I assumed you could only be tried once for a crime. Maybe a "Legal Jacket" can explain why the 5th Amendment doesn't also apply to state convictions.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. I assumed you could only be tried once for a crime. Maybe a "Legal Jacket" can explain why the 5th Amendment doesn't also apply to state convictions.
I am not a lawyer, but there have been many, many cases where people were tried twice for the same underlying facts. I believe there is a SC ruling that says federal and state trials are from separate jurisdictions, so do not pose double jeopardy.(but once again not a lawyer) Some cases: Police officers who beat Rodney King, Those who killed Ahmaud Arbery, George Zimmerman was "investigated" by the feds after he was found not guilty in state court.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I think the Ron Bell saga likely cost Pastner more than we will every know on the recruiting trail. Sexual assault and battery charges against a coach trying to recruit young men and their parents. Not a good look. Hopefully Josh can keep the guys hot and keep picking up wins.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Somebody send this to Gary Parrish's trifling arse. He had this clown on the air back then, tryna slander Pastner under the guise of 'journalism'..
Don't hold your breath waiting for Parrish to acknowledge the facts here. That's not true to his schtick.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Doesn’t mention what happened to the security guard that took the bribe and lied about Pastner. Hope he gets prison time too. Not to mention Bell’s wack-a-doodle “girlfriend”.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
What a schmuck... Hope the Feds sentence him just 3 days short of the maximum so we can say he was shown mercy for admitting to doing it. Oh, and and he's forced to sell any or all assets to pay earlier restitution amounts and can't have those dropped through bankruptcy.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Maybe gets to bunk with "Little" Richard...

Eh, if he's lookin for *ahem* small victories, I guess that's better than bunking with big Richard.

Arrested Development Mistake GIF

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Sentencing is tomorrow for our old pal Ron Bell. Let's hope he gets to spend some time in a federal prison
Any news on how this turned out? I tend to be a “grant some benefit of the doubt” kinda guy, but in this case, I’m in a “throw the book at him” mindset…and make sure the book is heavy, and hits him square in the nose.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
Any news on how this turned out? I tend to be a “grant some benefit of the doubt” kinda guy, but in this case, I’m in a “throw the book at him” mindset…and make sure the book is heavy, and hits him square in the nose.
Looks like sentencing got moved to 7/18.