Participation Report

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing that jumped out at me was the number of receivers who caught a pass. Everything about the passing game was night and day compared to previous years. The protection was there so that the QB could look over the field and make a choice. In the past, someone was in his face immediately. Also, so many years we had only one or two decent receivers and the QB focussed on one guy. The receivers were open! Something about the scheme or the receivers' moves got them separation! And there were no drops!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
One thing that jumped out at me was the number of receivers who caught a pass. Everything about the passing game was night and day compared to previous years. The protection was there so that the QB could look over the field and make a choice. In the past, someone was in his face immediately. Also, so many years we had only one or two decent receivers and the QB focussed on one guy. The receivers were open! Something about the scheme or the receivers' moves got them separation! And there were no drops!

Protection was good enough anyway. Sims definitely had to move around and picked up some yards scrambling as well. But Jeff gives us that ability, and FSU's DL was considered one of the best in the country going in.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Camera angles were what they were because of the lightning, not because of the Sars CoViD II virus.

I didn't understand why, if lightning was detected and the TV crew was worried enough to evacuate their cameramen, the game officials let the game continue until the end of that drive. Seems like a close lightning strike would cause an immediate suspension of play.

slugboy

Staff member
Do we know if the camera angles are going to be similar for all games? If so, this report will be way more important to understanding the full story of a game.
The FSU game was down to a few cameras for much of the game due to lightning. I’m not sure whether ABC/ESPN got all of their cameras back on during the game. Weather was definitely a factor.

I’m not sure if the lightweight sideline cameras are happening this year, either.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't understand why, if lightning was detected and the TV crew was worried enough to evacuate their cameramen, the game officials let the game continue until the end of that drive. Seems like a close lightning strike would cause an immediate suspension of play.
They should have suspended play before the end of FSU's first drive. To me, it's still unclear why they didn't. The crew knew there were lightning strikes within 8 miles before the TD.

Deleted member 2897

Not only were there no drops, there were 3 or 4 catches that were 50/50 possibilities at best. Some great snags.

Deleted member 2897

I didn't want to create yet another thread, so this seemed like the closest one to applicability.

Here are some ACC statistical leaders after week 1:
Passing Yards: Jeff Sims tied for 4th of essentially 15
Tackles: Quez Jackson tied for 5th (out of obviously > 200), Zamari Walton tied for 13th
Rushing Yards: Jeff Sims 8th, Jordan Mason 11th, Jamious Griffin 15th
Yards Per Rush: Jeff Sims 8th, Jamious Griffin 10th, Jordan Mason 12th. Jordan Mason tied for 6th with 1 rushing TD.
Sacks: Curtis Ryans tied for 1st with 2.0.
Receiving Yards: Malachi Carter 15th, Jalen Camp 20th (we really spread the ball around)...they were 5th and 9th respectively in receptions. 1 receiving TD for Carter ties for 1st.
Kickoff Return Average: Dontae Smith 3rd with 21.5
Average Punting Yards: Pressley Harvin 9th. Net yards 8th. Held back by only getting 1 good chance - the other 2 were pinning the teams in.
Total Offensive Yards: GT 7th at 438 (beat our single highest offensive total all last season). Notre Dame had almost the same yardage but 27 points. We'll score more points.
Total Defensive Yards Allowed: GT 5th at 307. GT 3rd in points allowed at 13.