Pack The Dodd

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan
dismantling the upper north sounds like more money wasted
IMG_1353.gif

BLOOD ALONE MOVES THE WHEELS OF HISTORY, COMRADES. TOGETHER WE CAN DISMANTLE THE UPPER NORTH AND RESTORE BDS TO ITS FORMER GLORY.

JacketFan137

Banned
I feel like we should focus less on decreasing our stadium's capacity and focus more on actually attracting more fans.
yeah i’m not a construction manager so i won’t pretend to know what it takes to get rid of that section in terms of time and money but i think playing attractive football and winning is the path to fill it up

j_rig2008

Georgia Tech Fan
yeah i’m not a construction manager so i won’t pretend to know what it takes to get rid of that section in terms of time and money but i think playing attractive football and winning is the path to fill it up
IMO there'd be jo need to permanently remove it. Until sales increased do what other teams have done which is cover thr section with a big old tarp/cover thats GT themed. Then when interest in tickets picks up just take it off and bam that section is available again.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
IMO there'd be jo need to permanently remove it. Until sales increased do what other teams have done which is cover thr section with a big old tarp/cover thats GT themed. Then when interest in tickets picks up just take it off and bam that section is available again.
What's the purpose of the tarp? So we can pretend the bleachers aren't there?

j_rig2008

Georgia Tech Fan
O
What's the purpose of the tarp? So we can pretend the bleachers aren't there?
Cosmetics. We as Georgia Tech fans know those bleachers are there. I would much rather have a tarp placed over them versus tearing them down. That would serve to listen the eyesore of empty bleachers, and not be a costly solution like tearing them down would it be. Of course, this is all hypothetical so keep in mind that my answer is as well.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
O

Cosmetics. We as Georgia Tech fans know those bleachers are there. I would much rather have a tarp placed over them versus tearing them down. That would serve to listen the eyesore of empty bleachers, and not be a costly solution like tearing them down would it be. Of course, this is all hypothetical so keep in mind that my answer is as well.
Well, as long as we can fool all the other fans, I guess it makes sense.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
O

Well, if we are doing this we might as well pipe in fake crowd noise and maybe we can get some of those card board cut-outs some MLB teams used during COVID to fill in the rest of the stadium (sic). IMO, If we added a tarp we would disserve all the ridicule we would get from our rivals. Someone mention that there were only 50,000 GT grads in the State of Georgia, that sounds crazy, did anyone fact check that ????

Secret_AznMan

Georgia Tech Fan
Student tickets are only free in the Swarm section, unless something has changed somewhat recently. They were cheap in the block seating area, but not free.

What makes you think Guns and Roses would have been cancelled for low ticket sales? They had 40,000+ in attendance the last time they were in Atlanta 4 years earlier.
The Swarm section (next to band that does the GT flag thing) and all fraternity block seating requires buying the student season ticket. Technically all of the north end zone student section is for students that buy the student season ticket but it isn't enforced. The south end zone is where the free tickets (paid season ticket not required) for students are assigned (general admission). If they run out of those and inventory remains, they distribute general public assigned seats for free.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, if we are doing this we might as well pipe in fake crowd noise and maybe we can get some of those card board cut-outs some MLB teams used during COVID to fill in the rest of the stadium (sic). IMO, If we added a tarp we would disserve all the ridicule we would get from our rivals. Someone mention that there were only 50,000 GT grads in the State of Georgia, that sounds crazy, did anyone fact check that ????
Put in video screens like the NBA did so all those out of state grads can have their reactions streamed in virtually while watching on tv, lol

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
It's interesting that all three of the schools you used as examples all happen to be in small towns that center around the universities they have. I haven't been to College Station but Lincoln and Auburn both would be next to nothing without the large universities. Local bars, clubs, shops etc. would go out of business if those universities didn't control the local economy (and much of the population). Just saying that comparing Georgia Tech, in the heart of Atlanta with tons of alternative entertainment, to Auburn, College Station and Lincoln is like comparing apples to oranges. You will note that teams located in large metropolitan cities suffer much like we do when the team isn't doing well. Look at Miami for instance. A few years back there was nobody in the stands. They start winning and the stands fill up. I think we will see Grant Field (can't bring myself to call it Hyundai Field) fill up like years past when we start winning more than we lose.
Yeah but do they have bums, crackheads and grown adults who parade their kids around tailgates selling pre-made walmart apple pies for 10 dollars a piece? NOPE.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
This 13-year-old article uses that number and does a deep dive into the home attendance issue with a focus on alumni locations: https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2010/6/16/1519085/where-do-tech-alumni-live
It seems consistent with what I seem to remember from some stats in an issue of the alumni magazine.
We are probably up to 60k or so by now. Certainly enough to fill the stadium if nearly every single state of Georgia alum attends. Even if they bring a non-alum spouse or friend, we would require a nearly 50% take-rate for local and near-local alums.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw something this weekend that we could try to do if more people came out. Oregon's colors are green and yellow. Brooks stadium is laid out in sections, just like at (and it always will be) Grant Field. The fans there are apparently told what color to wear for their section, either yellow or green. So the place looks like green, yellow, green, yellow, and so on. We could do that too and it would look so cool on tv.
I saw this while watching the Oregon game on tv also. Sadly, this wouldn’t work at GT. Our fans don’t own enough white and gold. It would only work if we did it with navy and gray. Not to mention, our fans don’t like being told what to do.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw this while watching the Oregon game on tv also. Sadly, this wouldn’t work at GT. Our fans don’t own enough white and gold. It would only work if we did it with navy and gray. Not to mention, our fans don’t like being told what to do.
I very much understand the frustration from the Ga Tech faithful but the last 3 and a half years under GC took a toll on the fans. You could see after year 2 that it wasn’t going to work. The good news is, Brent Key is going to work. Folks, were 6-6 the last 12 games and I believe we were underdogs 4 of them games we won and that tells me we’re definitely headed in the right direction. Trust ole southern, more wins are on the way baby. It just feels good now sitting down watching a Ga Tech football game watching the team fight for a win. Even in the 2 losses the team didn’t give up they were fighting and quite frankly….that’s all you can ask for.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I have been thinking about this for a while, and I wanted to throw this idea out to people who are way smarter than me and went to Tech.

There is a common theme that a large percentage of students simply arent interested in going to games, because they are focusing on studies. Has there ever been an attempt to tie the sports community and the academics together? Such as making elective engineering around sport technology advancement? Or sports probability where students try to predict what will happen? Yes, this might at first attract students who like sports, but i feel like one of the best ways to have somebody hooked into the program is to have them be involved. And not only will this be good to attract more fans, Tech athletics could be in the forefront of technology.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have been thinking about this for a while, and I wanted to throw this idea out to people who are way smarter than me and went to Tech.

There is a common theme that a large percentage of students simply arent interested in going to games, because they are focusing on studies. Has there ever been an attempt to tie the sports community and the academics together? Such as making elective engineering around sport technology advancement? Or sports probability where students try to predict what will happen? Yes, this might at first attract students who like sports, but i feel like one of the best ways to have somebody hooked into the program is to have them be involved. And not only will this be good to attract more fans, Tech athletics could be in the forefront of technology.
It's not about students focusing on studies, it that they don't like football. They have "better" things to do with their time than go watch their football team. I think it's probably worse today than it was 35 years ago.