Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Yes of course

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I’m going to help pack Bobby Dodd, let’s goooooo

Votes: 14 24.1%

• Total voters

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach who got the job (CGC) versus coach who wanted the job (Elliott). Should be an interesting game from multiple angles.
Yeah, Elliott is the guy I wanted over the other candidates named but I got the impression it was unlikely, since his coaching horizon extended well beyond here and he was going to wait for the inevitable better opportunities. I'll be watching his career with a lot of interest now. If he in his first year can beat our current head coach in his 4th, that would be quite an indictment of our program's direction.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have this as our third most likely win on our schedule, the first two are Western Carolina and Duke. The difference maker is it's a home game. I see this as a tossup as of today and would not be surprised if we are favored slightly at home, so the poll about it being an "upset" is a misnomer.

p.s. aren't you the guy who was quoted on another site as being like 13 years old?
I think Armstrong will have close to 2000 yds if he plays every game ( 6) .

I hope it's cup cake yds and we have great game on both sides of the ball.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we will be 3-2 going into that game, and based off how tough our schedule is, be a 3.5-6 point favorite going into the game.
You guys need to read our actual schedule a little more closely... the UVa game will be our 7th game of the season so we can't be 2-3 or 3-2 entering this game. I see us entering this game 2-4 and also winning, so we will have a mid season 2 game winning streak after beating Duke at Homecoming the prior game (and after a bye week) to reach 3-4 at the peak of our season... like last year's 3-3 record. Then we go through the gauntlet of the last 5 games (4 of them on the road with Thug U being the only home game) 1-4, and finishing 4-8.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You guys need to read our actual schedule a little more closely... the UVa game will be our 7th game of the season so we can't be 2-3 or 3-2 entering this game. I see us entering this game 2-4 and also winning, so we will have a mid season 2 game winning streak after beating Duke at Homecoming the prior game (and after a bye week) to reach 3-4 at the peak of our season... like last year's 3-3 record. Then we go through the gauntlet of the last 5 games (4 of them on the road with Thug U being the only home game) 1-4, and finishing 4-8.
So if we have a 2 game win streak when we play next game at FSU, and they have a 2 game losing streak ( NCST and Clemson), our guys have a chance .
Fsu could have lost to lsu and Louisville which would have the natives restless.

FsU has under performed with no scheme change and cheap ouch hire excuses.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
So if we have a 2 game win streak when we play next game at FSU, and they have a 2 game losing streak ( NCST and Clemson), our guys have a chance .
Fsu could have lost to lsu and Louisville which would have the natives restless.

FsU has under performed with no scheme change and cheap ouch hire excuses.
My most likely Tech wins this season are
1. WCU
2. Duke
3. UVa
4. Va Poly
5. UCF
6. F$U

I don't see more than 3 or 4 wins out of that group and the rest of the schedule looks out of reach, with three or more of the other 6 looking impossible.

So we might win two against the weakest teams in the ACC, besides us by the way, and F$U will be coming off games against the two best teams in the ACC, both scenarios due to mid season scheduling quirks... F$U will be solid favorites going into their home game against Tech. Like too many other ACC programs during the current coach's tenure, they see a game against us as a "Get Well" game. Hell Duke sees us as a win based on our miracle series to retake the lead late against them last year or else we could have gone 2-10 on the season. Preseason we are only favored to win WCU and Duke so to win 4 on the season there is work to do.

Breaking the 2022 season into three segments -
First 5 games: 1-4 with WCU the win
Middle two games: 2-0 with the Duke Homecoming and hopefully UVa at home on Thursday night after the bye week

Final 5 games 1-4 in some manner, with either the one win on the road against VPI or an early season "upset" of UCF on the road, or nothing but a prayer against the remainder, but I have to hope one of them will happen because I absolutely refuse to consider a fourth straight 3 win season. This is already the worst three season stretch in Tech football history going back 100 years, I don't want to see this record being extended.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, Elliott is the guy I wanted over the other candidates named but I got the impression it was unlikely, since his coaching horizon extended well beyond here and he was going to wait for the inevitable better opportunities. I'll be watching his career with a lot of interest now. If he in his first year can beat our current head coach in his 4th, that would be quite an indictment of our program's direction.
I wondered if TStan wanted head coaching experience as one criteria.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I dont know .. -
We have a tough start and they play cupcakes till Louisville just they play us.
We could be 2-3 & they could be 5 -1. Hard to expect favorite status.

Imo, this is the game that determines if cgc stays.

Hope for a shoot out and we win in 4th Q
An absolute Must win for Geoff and Tech

Techster

Helluva Engineer

If a coach comes here and wins 8-11 games a season for 3-5 years, then moves on to another job....is that better than a coach that comes here only wins 3 games a season for his tenure then GT has to fire him? On top of firing that coach, GT will be on the hook for the remainder of the coach's contract which hampers the next coach's ability to hire higher level staff and support.

I'd say if we can get a coach for 3-5 years and we have winning seasons plus a special season one or two times during that tenure, that's MUCH better than having to fire a coach and pay off the balance of his contract. That also means the coach is leaving behind a good enough roster to achieve winning seasons, and also helps with hiring the next coach. It's a sign that the next coach will have the ability to recruit and win at GT.

The days of coaches lasting more than five years at a program is quickly fading. Lincoln Riley won an average of 11 games a year at one of the blueblood college football programs, and he had that program set up for long term success. 5 and 4 star recruits were lining up to play for him...but he still left to go to USC after 5 years at OU. Look at us. Bobby Ross and George O'Leary both moved on for other jobs, but they did well enough at GT that any of us would take their success here. CPJ was an outlier staying here for a decade...but even he looked to move on (see: Tennessee) after a while.

I'm OK getting an ascendant coach that wins a lot of games here and moves on. Eventually you get a CPJ type coach who stays for 8-10+ years. Some coaches don't want the spotlight of a Notre Dame/Texas/'Bama/etc with all of the pressure and commitments that come with it. GT is a very good job, and the right coach will come here and win a lot of games. CGC is getting a LOT of grief now, and rightly so, but I think if you're being objective about it you can see how much he's done for GT off the field. If we could get Ross/O'Leary/CPJ results with CGC's off the field improvements for GT, I promise you GT wouldn't lack for quality coaches wanting to come here.

JacketFan137

Banned
My most likely Tech wins this season are
1. WCU
2. Duke
3. UVa
4. Va Poly
5. UCF
6. F$U

I don't see more than 3 or 4 wins out of that group and the rest of the schedule looks out of reach, with three or more of the other 6 looking impossible.

So we might win two against the weakest teams in the ACC, besides us by the way, and F$U will be coming off games against the two best teams in the ACC, both scenarios due to mid season scheduling quirks... F$U will be solid favorites going into their home game against Tech. Like too many other ACC programs during the current coach's tenure, they see a game against us as a "Get Well" game. Hell Duke sees us as a win based on our miracle series to retake the lead late against them last year or else we could have gone 2-10 on the season. Preseason we are only favored to win WCU and Duke so to win 4 on the season there is work to do.

Breaking the 2022 season into three segments -
First 5 games: 1-4 with WCU the win
Middle two games: 2-0 with the Duke Homecoming and hopefully UVa at home on Thursday night after the bye week

Final 5 games 1-4 in some manner, with either the one win on the road against VPI or an early season "upset" of UCF on the road, or nothing but a prayer against the remainder, but I have to hope one of them will happen because I absolutely refuse to consider a fourth straight 3 win season. This is already the worst three season stretch in Tech football history going back 100 years, I don't want to see this record being extended.
the only game that is remotely close to impossible to win is uga. aside from that we literally played most of these teams in the past season to competitive games. some of which really went down to the end and in some of those we didn’t even have a real qb.

i think there’s a lot more winnable games than you’re making it out to be