Our Future Secondary

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I've seen posts discussing negative outlooks on the future of the football program. An area that I'm excited about is the future of our secondary. We have a lot of high level signees that will begin to see playing time over the next couple of years. They include:

4 Stars on one at least one of the sites:
Tre Swilling (Rivals, ESPN Top 300)
Gentry Bonds (Rivals)
Kaleb Oliver (Rivals)
Jaylon King (247 Composite 4 Star, #204 player in the country per Rivals)
Jaquan Henderson (ESPN, #29 Safety in the country per 247)
Jaytlin Askew (ESPN #32 Corner)

High 3 Stars with good offers:
Charlie Thomas (Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St.)
Juanyeh Thomas (Florida, Miss. St, Auburn)
Dameon Williams (UNC, Miss. St., Iowa)

We have supplemented this talent with some interesting signees. For example, Tariq Carpenter, who is tall and fast, and Ajani Kerr, who showed a lot of promise this year.

I'm sure I am forgetting some players, but there is a lot of talent for our new DC to utilize. We also now have much larger defensive linemen and two four star LBs (Dingle and Jordan-Swilling). I'm excited to see our talented players on the field.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed, but I expect both Henderson and Oliver to end up as linebackers.
Whoops, you're right about Henderson; he is listed as a LB on the roster. Oliver is still listed as "ATH." They may be waiting to see how he physically develops, although I'd heard there would be an attempt to keep him in the secondary. Obviously, that may change with the new DC.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Agreed, but I expect both Henderson and Oliver to end up as linebackers.
looking at this scale and see where you are using the word (we ) more I can see Tech is almost equal to UVa :)

th

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Whoops, you're right about Henderson; he is listed as a LB on the roster. Oliver is still listed as "ATH." They may be waiting to see how he physically develops, although I'd heard there would be an attempt to keep him in the secondary. Obviously, that may change with the new DC.
The new DC is part of why I'm making that assumption :)

I'm also VERY curious to see if Gray and/or Jalen Johnson ends up at OLB. I doubt it, but it also wouldn't blow my mind, as I think they might be physical enough to allow the defense to get even faster.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
I've seen posts discussing negative outlooks on the future of the football program. An area that I'm excited about is the future of our secondary. We have a lot of high level signees that will begin to see playing time over the next couple of years. They include:

4 Stars on one at least one of the sites:
Tre Swilling (Rivals, ESPN Top 300)
Gentry Bonds (Rivals)
Kaleb Oliver (Rivals)
Jaylon King (247 Composite 4 Star, #204 player in the country per Rivals)
Jaquan Henderson (ESPN, #29 Safety in the country per 247)
Jaytlin Askew (ESPN #32 Corner)

High 3 Stars with good offers:
Charlie Thomas (Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St.)
Juanyeh Thomas (Florida, Miss. St, Auburn)
Dameon Williams (UNC, Miss. St., Iowa)

We have supplemented this talent with some interesting signees. For example, Tariq Carpenter, who is tall and fast, and Ajani Kerr, who showed a lot of promise this year.

I'm sure I am forgetting some players, but there is a lot of talent for our new DC to utilize. We also now have much larger defensive linemen and two four star LBs (Dingle and Jordan-Swilling). I'm excited to see our talented players on the field.
Great post. Our defensive talent pool has definitely gotten larger & deeper over the last few years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Odd that NOT having practice for a bowl might have helped us a bit.If Woody comes in with new Def then it would be wasted time/ confusion on old DEF .Might even got someone hurt.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think Gray could grow into a LB, he's definitely physical enough

I have long thought his natural spot was the nickel position. I could see him as an OLB, but I could also see him staying at safety in Woody’s defense. Woody seems more comfortable playing combo coverage on the backend, and Gray would fit that role well too.

I think it comes down to how ready our LBs are to play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In the past our lb being so far off the point of attack the back or w r has time to set them up. When they grab on as he goes by, they are a YAC stat builder.

I think our guys will thrive with a more aggressive scheme. I have seen a j gray flash to the hit. Hope to see all the players getting physical.

Is Campbell-in the mix? He sure looks athletic on sideline.

Matt E

GT Athlete
He knows his stuff.

Walt talks more GT football then the hacks at 680 and knows significantly more about our players and coaches. I listen to that guy whenever I can on the tuneIn app. He is top notch when it comes to college football across the board

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Walt talks more GT football then the hacks at 680 and knows significantly more about our players and coaches. I listen to that guy whenever I can on the tuneIn app. He is top notch when it comes to college football across the board
What station On tunein?

GTFLETCH

Banned
In general I am excited about our Defense.. I think we have improved recruiting as a whole, but especially in the secondary and also with linebackers . It will be interesting to see how we close the gap with other teams in the league with our new Defensive scheme and on field talent.