Our Fan Base

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
As one of those old farts, I can honestly admit that on more than one occasion, I have simply been caught by total surprise and left speechless by someone walking past me who throws a "Go Jackets" my way. I always feel bad immediately but usually by then the person who said it is well past me and it doesn't make much sense to have to stop, turn around and yell a reply.

I have also occasionally been on the giving end of that and experienced the blank stares. I usually forgive them and think "there but for the grace of God go I".

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The phrases you all are tossing out are Tech traditions that are generally associated with our athletic teams. They didn’t start there, necessarily, but that’s where it is now. I think there are many Tech alum that might wear some gear that don’t think about what the proper responses are (or even know them).

My sister-in-law got her undergraduate and PhD from Tech, worked there, her father was a big-wig in GTRI (so she grew up with Tech). I seriously doubt she would know how to respond appropriately to some of these call-and-respond phrases. She was more into WREK and ORGT.

Also, this is why so don’t count all the online Masters in CS students we have as potential A-T Fund donors. They have no connection with the non-academic side of Tech, including interaction with students on campus.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Drives me crazy when I see someone wearing GT gear & ask "What's the Good Word?" & get a blank stare. I guess I can sort of understand some fans not knowing the answer but I certainly expect to get a smile & thumbs up when I say "Go Jackets".
Maybe I live out of state and I have a completely different experience than it seems most on here. I don't care where it has been whether it's Los Angeles, Chicago, Orlando, Miami, Denver, Dallas, etc I've almost always gotten a response whether I've yelled out WTGW or Go Jackets! This thread got me thinking, it does seem a lot different everywhere more recently especially when I'm passing thru the Atlanta airport. Even on campus these days the energy's gone. Game day's like a flat tire, most of my close friends have seemingly lost interest and are dwindling in numbers on game day & our tailgate has gone from dozens to 3-4 on many weekends.

We've had a lot of group texts lately about who's coming to what game next year, how many are showing up for homecomig and where we're going for dinner. It's fairly depressing because many have taken a "I'm going to wait" approach and the longer you're disconnected from the program the less likely you're coming back. I hate to think I've seen many of these guys for the last time, but that's probably reality.

Cabrera is trying to fix this, Batt's fully engaged but they're going to have to climb a huge mountain here. We're a shell of what we once were 5 years ago, roll back 10 years or 20 years and the distance is staggering. Fan support is hard to grow particularly in today's climate when there's so many options. GT gave it up & we're paying the price in increasingly larger amounts the longer we go without being able to reverse the course. I hope Cabrera ad Batt have it in them, this is no easy task at all.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
The phrases you all are tossing out are Tech traditions that are generally associated with our athletic teams. They didn’t start there, necessarily, but that’s where it is now. I think there are many Tech alum that might wear some gear that don’t think about what the proper responses are (or even know them).

My sister-in-law got her undergraduate and PhD from Tech, worked there, her father was a big-wig in GTRI (so she grew up with Tech). I seriously doubt she would know how to respond appropriately to some of these call-and-respond phrases. She was more into WREK and ORGT.

Also, this is why so don’t count all the online Masters in CS students we have as potential A-T Fund donors. They have no connection with the non-academic side of Tech, including interaction with students on campus.
Honestly, that's pretty pathetic. We should expect and do better at indoctrination of students into the campus culture.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Weird I almost always get a response when I say "Go Jackets" to another GT fan out in the wild. Old and young alike. And I can't remember anyone being a curmudgeon when I've said something to them. In fact the only times I remember not getting positive responses are when the person doesn't hear me or is focused on something else like being on the phone.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
First off, this definitely doesn’t apply to everyone, so older fans don’t come at me. This has been on my mind for a while, and it happened again today, so I figured I’d post about it here and see if others have experienced the same thing.

I feel like 99% of the time I encounter an older Tech fan in the wild, and say something like “Go Jackets,” they usually never say it back, and instead opt to respond with some sort of negative comment about the program and/or the school itself. Today, I’m walking in the Buc-ee’s in Calhoun, I’m wearing Tech gear, I pass an elder gentleman walking out of the store wearing a shirt that reads “Go Jackets.” As I pass right by him, I gesture towards him and say “Go Jackets”…he just looks at me curmudgeonly and walks on.

I live in Nashville, and it’s really rare to see Tech folks up here. One time, I saw an older Tech fan up here, I was wearing a navy Tech polo, he was wearing a gold Tech t-shirt. As always, I say “Go Jackets.” His response? He looks at me and says “wrong color” and walks off.

One of my favorites was this past fall. The week of the UNC game. I was having a convo with a baseball alumni, probably in his late 50s. I see this gentleman the same week every year for an event I do. He’s always kind of a woe is me, snobby Tech butthead, didn’t like Johnson, etc. We briefly talked about the coaching search, and to him it was “Prime or bust.” I go on to say I like what Key is doing and that I thought we could beat anyone in the Coastal. Then he laughs and says “North Carolina?” Then said we were about to get boat raced by UNC and Drake Maye. I told him I thought we had a chance. He laughed.

Oh! Almost forgot this. I once ran into a younger, recent baseball alumni, who is in my same line of work, which is really rare! He’s even from the same area of muttville I am, which makes us even more relatable. He couldn’t have cared less.

Like most of you, I get a little spark of joy every time I see a Tech fan in the wild, especially outside of the state. I feel like there is and should be some sort of camaraderie amongst us because we’re all fans/alumni of a unique place and went through all of the same sh*t together. A proud and select group. We complain about our dwindling number of fans, yet some act like this when encountered by other Tech fans and alumni. I dunno, maybe it’s just me.
Go Jackets! Good times are on the way brother just hang in there. Brent Key will have the Yellow Jacket family happy again.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Well many GT Alumni/Fans are just that. Aggravating for sure.

Tut-tut, my good sir. We're not 'fans', we're more yellowjacket connoisseurs, if you will.

Tonight Show Queen GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
First off, this definitely doesn’t apply to everyone, so older fans don’t come at me. This has been on my mind for a while, and it happened again today, so I figured I’d post about it here and see if others have experienced the same thing.

I feel like 99% of the time I encounter an older Tech fan in the wild, and say something like “Go Jackets,” they usually never say it back, and instead opt to respond with some sort of negative comment about the program and/or the school itself. Today, I’m walking in the Buc-ee’s in Calhoun, I’m wearing Tech gear, I pass an elder gentleman walking out of the store wearing a shirt that reads “Go Jackets.” As I pass right by him, I gesture towards him and say “Go Jackets”…he just looks at me curmudgeonly and walks on.

I live in Nashville, and it’s really rare to see Tech folks up here. One time, I saw an older Tech fan up here, I was wearing a navy Tech polo, he was wearing a gold Tech t-shirt. As always, I say “Go Jackets.” His response? He looks at me and says “wrong color” and walks off.

One of my favorites was this past fall. The week of the UNC game. I was having a convo with a baseball alumni, probably in his late 50s. I see this gentleman the same week every year for an event I do. He’s always kind of a woe is me, snobby Tech butthead, didn’t like Johnson, etc. We briefly talked about the coaching search, and to him it was “Prime or bust.” I go on to say I like what Key is doing and that I thought we could beat anyone in the Coastal. Then he laughs and says “North Carolina?” Then said we were about to get boat raced by UNC and Drake Maye. I told him I thought we had a chance. He laughed.

Oh! Almost forgot this. I once ran into a younger, recent baseball alumni, who is in my same line of work, which is really rare! He’s even from the same area of muttville I am, which makes us even more relatable. He couldn’t have cared less.

Like most of you, I get a little spark of joy every time I see a Tech fan in the wild, especially outside of the state. I feel like there is and should be some sort of camaraderie amongst us because we’re all fans/alumni of a unique place and went through all of the same sh*t together. A proud and select group. We complain about our dwindling number of fans, yet some act like this when encountered by other Tech fans and alumni. I dunno, maybe it’s just me.

Being in Calhoun, I believe that was a Calhoun Yellow Jackets shirt.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
One of my best friends went to uga and taught at Georgia for several years. He is a Tech fan. Part of that is that his dad played football at Tech. But the biggest part is he hated how football took priority with the students. Exams, term papers, class attendance, all were expected to be modified or canceled by “game day.” Even deans / heads of departments encouraged professors to “go light” on students during football season. He says his students got progressively worse about this each year. That and lousy pay causes him to seek employment elsewhere.
I have a different opinion. I think Tech would be better served if the professors/classes were more aware and promoted Tech sports. We’ve all taken the class where everyone did well on the first test so the professor completely shafted the class on the next test. My point is the professors make tests easier and harder all of the time so it can be done without sacrificing “Tech’s academics”. I would like to see professors have extra credit questions that you would only know if you went to the sporting event the night or weekend before.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have a different opinion. I think Tech would be better served if the professors/classes were more aware and promoted Tech sports. We’ve all taken the class where everyone did well on the first test so the professor completely shafted the class on the next test. My point is the professors make tests easier and harder all of the time so it can be done without sacrificing “Tech’s academics”. I would like to see professors have extra credit questions that you would only know if you went to the sporting event the night or weekend before.
Interesting take.

I think the point at uga that my professor friend discovered is that it was a slippery slope. The more the school catered to all things football the more academic expectations were diminished for students and faculty. He found each year the students acted more and more entitled -believing that students should get an A just for going to a football game.

But maybe Tech could find a way to be “football friendly” without encouraging students to skip class and do shoddy work.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
TFPREZ- received at his residence a part of the goal post that was torn down from the great victory over Vt. Did he send to ME lab w instrictons for professors to assign me students to use lab to slice and polish 1/2" rings. NO
HE could have given TO ALL THE DEPT HEADS FOR PLACEMENT ON THIER DESK so everyone gets the messsge TFPREZ IS ALL IN FOR SPORTS. IF YOU WANT BIGGER PAY RAISE - DO SAME.

GTAA can easily be made a highly visible part of gt academic courses.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Interesting take.

I think the point at uga that my professor friend discovered is that it was a slippery slope. The more the school catered to all things football the more academic expectations were diminished for students and faculty. He found each year the students acted more and more entitled -believing that students should get an A just for going to a football game.

But maybe Tech could find a way to be “football friendly” without encouraging students to skip class and do shoddy work.
As any teacher (any level) can attest, the purpose of examination is to assess the level of comprehension of the material taught. Examinations should be constructed to cover the information the professor/teacher wants to verify mastery of. Unfortunately, ego gets in the way and too many instructors look at examinations as a step (or two or three) up from what is necessary. I have always felt that if the instructor was any good, students should be able to to answer correctly between 90-95% of the information covered in the exams.

As a student, if you can’t achieve 90-95% proficiency, then what you’re doing is not preparing you for the real world.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As any teacher (any level) can attest, the purpose of examination is to assess the level of comprehension of the material taught. Examinations should be constructed to cover the information the professor/teacher wants to verify mastery of. Unfortunately, ego gets in the way and too many instructors look at examinations as a step (or two or three) up from what is necessary. I have always felt that if the instructor was any good, students should be able to to answer correctly between 90-95% of the information covered in the exams.

As a student, if you can’t achieve 90-95% proficiency, then what you’re doing is not preparing you for the real world.
Well, therein lies the problem at uga. My friend has some horror stories of students “graduating” without having learned basic core material.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
When GT went to the Final Four after the 2003 season I had an exam scheduled the Monday of the championship game. I bought tickets and traveled anyway figuring that I’d figure something out.

They ended up making professors move exams from that day but I don’t think they announced it until like the Friday right before or such. Definitely felt like they could’ve done more to encourage people getting into the athletics side there by being more proactive even before student tickets went on sale at the box office.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
When GT went to the Final Four after the 2003 season I had an exam scheduled the Monday of the championship game. I bought tickets and traveled anyway figuring that I’d figure something out.

They ended up making professors move exams from that day but I don’t think they announced it until like the Friday right before or such. Definitely felt like they could’ve done more to encourage people getting into the athletics side there by being more proactive even before student tickets went on sale at the box office.
Yeah, that would have been good. Sometimes professors are afraid to make a decision without running it by the Dean. Tenure can help some faculty be more proactive.