Option QB Stats

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
While I was re-watching the game I saw this:
upload_2015-1-7_10-20-20.png

I believe someone was recently asking why option QB stats aren't kept. Since ESPN had this stat available, do you think that they keep it somewhere? Might be worth some digging. Would love to see what these categories looked like in other games to get a trend.

Last edited:

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Well if JT is going to win any awards, these stats need to be kept.

Actually, just a highlight reel might do it.
I think he will need both highlights and stats. I sent an email into ESPN customer service asking if they are tracked. May not get anywhere with that, but I thought I would try.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw this too watching the replay. Don't know why it didn't stand out to me before (probably because all of it seems normal from watching GT so much). It's possible that with the option having moved outside of some of the service academies and with Georgia Tech's momentum from winning it'll be tracked more readily. The more its tracked and displayed the more people will become invested in it. Definitely good for us.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
Could you infer these from who got the yards? Might have to separate the rocket tosses from the pitches, but B-backs get handoffs and QBs are a keep, right?

Ooh, but they separate option keep from QB draw...

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think it is a stat that they keep on occasion to explain ou offense. Similar to showing the three parts of the field that is used by a passing team.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I think it is a stat that they keep on occasion to explain ou offense. Similar to showing the three parts of the field that is used by a passing team.
You're probably right. But do they just get rid of the data after the game is over or do they store it somewhere? I deal with a lot a data where I work and would think that it is stored somewhere. We need an insider!

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Stats & credit for successful (or unsuccessful) give or pitch reads have not been kept for one reason, and one reason only -- to drive Tim Tebow out of professional football faster.

I'm only half kidding.

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan
So I'm not sure the answer to this question, but I have a friend who works for a conference and puts many of their stats together.

He gets stats from an old school comman prompt style program to pull all sorts of crazy stats. I am not sure what te program is called, but I got the feeling from him that it was the industry standard for getting stats.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
So I'm not sure the answer to this question, but I have a friend who works for a conference and puts many of their stats together.

He gets stats from an old school comman prompt style program to pull all sorts of crazy stats. I am not sure what te program is called, but I got the feeling from him that it was the industry standard for getting stats.
Interesting. I would love to have access to that.

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan
To get a measure of our QB's similar other QB's you'd really need to know which plays are actual option plays, which I think you could only get from the staff, and attribute those yards and TDs gained by other backs also to our QB in the way pass yards are. Some of the smart x & o guys out there could probably come up with a pretty accurate breakdown as well though.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Here's the response I got from ESPN:

Hello Joe,

Thank you for contacting us.

We apologize for the confusion. Our statistical information comes from different sources. Most of them are supplied by the Elias Sports Bureau. You may be able to obtain them by contacting them from their website.

http://www.esb.com/

For live assistance with this or any other issue, please call Customer Care at 1-888-549-3776 (ESPN) between 8:00 am and 1:00 am EST.

Regards,

Patrick
ESPN.com Customer Care

Don't know why the guy thought I was confused, but I went ahead and sent the same request to the folks at Elias Sports Bureau.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Could you infer these from who got the yards? Might have to separate the rocket tosses from the pitches, but B-backs get handoffs and QBs are a keep, right?

Ooh, but they separate option keep from QB draw...
And to further blow your mind, we sometimes handoff to an A-back.

blow-your-mind-o.gif