Opposition Def Eff (DFEI) & GT

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I tend to focus on football outsiders' F/+ stat. They use it for their official ranking. It's derived from the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI) calculated independently for offense, defense, and special teams and the S&P+ which is calculated independently for offense and defense. The FEI is, generally, an opponent-adjusted points/drive rating. S&P+ is also opponent adjusted and combines a play SUCCESS (50% of nec yds-to-gain on 1st, 70% on 2nd, 100% on 3rd and 4th) measure with an explosiveness measure of expectated of points for a particular yard line. You can find more info at their site.

However, after looking at our season so far, it seems to me that opposition DFEI and OFEI might be a helpful indicator. Here's how our season looks so far:

upload_2014-11-6_13-18-23.png

Now, if I were more industrious, I would have looked at our points/drive for each game rather than total points. However, I think this table suggests, in ball park terms, the types of numbers we can expect based on opposition D and O.

Some anomalies stand out. For example, the offenses of Miami and Pitt look a lot better in OFEI than their scores against us, but we gained 2 interceptions and 6 fumbles in those two games respectively. Also, for whatever reason, Miami didn't run on us a lot. I think we also only had like 8 drives each in the Miami game, iirc.

Still looking at the DFEI for NCSU and georgie, we should be able to score. I'm thinking easily 40's+ vs NCSU and 35+ vs georgie. Looking at CU's DFEI, I'm thinking 21-24 would be expected (remember we had a pick 6 vs vpi).

Eye-balling the opposition OFEI for the last 3 games, it really seems to matter whether we've had real improvement on D. We've only held d'oh U and UVA under 20 all year.

If we match last week's performance vs UVA against the apparently comparable NCSU, then we should beat them handily, 45-13 or so. If we do, then we may be able to keep CU to the 20's and that game become's a pick-em (give it to the home team). If NCSU scores more than 20, it wouldn't bode well for us vs CU. Georgie's offense looks on par with those of d'oh U and Pitt, so we may need to force some turnovers, but that game should be close, probably like 35-30 GT.

Attachments

• upload_2014-11-6_13-0-12.png
    upload_2014-11-6_13-0-12.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 20

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember that clemsons offense has been gathering stats with Cole Stoudt at the helm. While I hesitate to anoint Deshaun Watson as the next great QB in the ACC (He did well against UNC and NC State who haven't proven to be defensive stalwarts), the offense is more dynamic with him at the helm.

The Clemson D scares me though.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Remember that clemsons offense has been gathering stats with Cole Stoudt at the helm. While I hesitate to anoint Deshaun Watson as the next great QB in the ACC (He did well against UNC and NC State who haven't proven to be defensive stalwarts), the offense is more dynamic with him at the helm.

The Clemson D scares me though.

I think that this is a good point, but I wonder if the UNC & NCSU Defenses is actually a bigger part of the story than just an aside. Only FSU scored more on L'llvl than Cole Stoudt's CU.

I agree about CU's D. We're going to have to scheme them something fierce.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Watson has been overhyped a bit. Is he better than Stoudt? Probably.

He's still a true freshman with limited game experience. Potential might be there but he hasn't looked all that great in between his injuries.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I think Watson has been overhyped a bit. Is he better than Stoudt? Probably.

He's still a true freshman with limited game experience. Potential might be there but he hasn't looked all that great in between his injuries.
We make average qbs look like Dan Marino lol

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK, some perspective, imo:
Offense is as good as expected, 56-14def=42.
Defense is not as good as hoped. Before the turnovers, they gave up a lot of yds, 1st downs, points. But they stepped up!

So, I think we're set up for some close games in the last two. Go jackets.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
OK, some perspective, imo:
Offense is as good as expected, 56-14def=42.
Defense is not as good as hoped. Before the turnovers, they gave up a lot of yds, 1st downs, points. But they stepped up!

So, I think we're set up for some close games in the last two. Go jackets.
The defense's ability to come up with the big play is the x-factor. And, with the way we've done it many times this year, you've got to account for it in your predictive reasoning/musings. Two defensive TD's today is a big deal. Game changing interceptions against VT and UM and 6 fumbles forced against Pitt are a big deal, even the season saving fumble forced against GSU.

Also, NCSt got one of their TD's in garbage time when we had all backups in, so taking that out, we're pretty much where we were against UVA.