Opposing fan perspective

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
As a Tech fan, I can identify with your comment about never being sure of what is going to happen when we take the field. That has become part of our DNA, inconsistency. Just when you think you have a pretty good football team, they crap the bed and put on a real crap show.

Just my opinion on our coaching staff. I think they have a lot of grand illusions of running complex offenses and defenses that will dazzle and amaze you but they fail to handle the basics. They go all-out recruiting skill position players but forget to take care of the essentials of finding and developing quality offensive and defensive line players capable of implementing the age-old principle of winning the line of scrimmage. They compound the problem by failing to make solid game plans and when they discover that they are not working, they stay with them rather than changing to something else that just might work.

I think there is plenty of love in the locker room and within the coaching family, maybe a bit too much. It seems like there is not enough tough love and discipline to inspire and encourage/insist on better performance. Winning seems to be a secondary goal to having everyone happy and enjoying their experience.

This is where we are at. So now I do not expect great things, I merely hope we don't get embarrassed and somehow our young men find a way to overcome the poor play calling and lack of adjustments our coaching staff brings to the table. I am sorry to be so pessimistic because I am in actuality a very positive individual. My lifelong love of Georgia Tech football will not let me turn away and abandon my hopes for better results ahead. At 72 years of age, I just hope I live long enough to see us return to a position of relevance in college football. Congratulations on your win.

Go Jackets!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion on our coaching staff. I think they have a lot of grand illusions of running complex offenses and defenses that will dazzle and amaze you but they fail to handle the basics. They go all-out recruiting skill position players but forget to take care of the essentials of finding and developing quality offensive and defensive line players capable of implementing the age-old principle of winning the line of scrimmage. They compound the problem by failing to make solid game plans and when they discover that they are not working, they stay with them rather than changing to something else that just might work.
I dunno. Can't say they haven't tried, but the OL in particular has been a big disappointment and the main cause of our troubles.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
I dunno. Can't say they haven't tried, but the OL in particular has been a big disappointment and the main cause of our troubles.

I think we're seeing a lot of that outside of the blue bloods. OL is getting more and more difficult to recruit. we got a commitment over the summer - Florida started sniffing around and recommitted in a day.

that tier below the top programs seemingly can't get any of the 4 or 5 stars anymore - they ALL go to the top 10-15 programs. we used to get some and you could build the OL around them. we don't get them anymore. (that's also partially to do with western Pennsylvania's talent drying up massively). you guys live in a fertile recruiting area and still struggle, though. same thing happening at a lot of schools in our tier.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On 6: I don't think anybody has any idea what the team thinks of Collins. This is a common problem for football teams. What your coaches think of you is your ticket to the field. If they think you dislike them, they won't play you unless you are OJ or the equivalent. This is why many players transfer now that they can; they get on the wrong side of either the head coach or their position assistant and they don't get what they think is a chance. (Often this is because they aren't as good as advertised, but they don't buy that, of course.) Also, if you are a player you want your coaches to think you are content and that they are fair; they're going to be major references for you for the next few years, no matter what you end up doing.

I haven't heard any rumblings about the players disliking Collins, but I would never expect to.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
On 6: I don't think anybody has any idea what the team thinks of Collins. This is a common problem for football teams. What your coaches think of you is your ticket to the field. If they think you dislike them, they won't play you unless you are OJ or the equivalent. This is why many players transfer now that they can; they get on the wrong side of either the head coach or their position assistant and they don't get what they think is a chance. (Often this is because they aren't as good as advertised, but they don't buy that, of course.) Also, if you are a player you want your coaches to think you are content and that they are fair; they're going to be major references for you for the next few years, no matter what you end up doing.

I haven't heard any rumblings about the players disliking Collins, but I would never expect to.

I think that's probably a good measuring point: are kids transferring out. I have REAL issues with pat Narduzzi but the players espouse him and almost no one is transferring. GT isn't having that problem, either - that's why I was skeptical of that report. now, fuente IS having that problem - those players obviously do not like him or that situation. and obviously they're massively over-rated every year.

I don't know how you guys fall on VT - but we really can't stand them. and I live in Maryland - there are TONS of VT alums here. just massively annoying fans - no sense of reality.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think that's probably a good measuring point: are kids transferring out. I have REAL issues with pat Narduzzi but the players espouse him and almost no one is transferring. GT isn't having that problem, either - that's why I was skeptical of that report. now, fuente IS having that problem - those players obviously do not like him or that situation. and obviously they're massively over-rated every year.

I don't know how you guys fall on VT - but we really can't stand them. and I live in Maryland - there are TONS of VT alums here. just massively annoying fans - no sense of reality.
I feel your Narduzi dislike. I live in Michigan and have plenty of Michigan St family and friends. Most can’t stand him and I’ve been to a function he was at and the guy was an absolute ***** to people.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer

VT fans are up there for some of the worst. What's really annoying is VT grads in the workplace, they take the same arrogance about incompetence to their work life. I had one brag about getting their MBA...from Devry...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

We hate them passionately

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
I feel your Narduzi dislike. I live in Michigan and have plenty of Michigan St family and friends. Most can’t stand him and I’ve been to a function he was at and the guy was an absolute ***** to people.
oh, do tell!

We hate them passionately

Best Friends Bff GIF by reactionseditor

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
so one more question:

feelings about UGA. we'd all just assumed that it was like us with PSU. maybe we're wrong. but let me describe our feelings towards PSU (and the Sandusky stuff is completely predictable). I grew up in prime PSU territory and hated them. there is no word in the English language to describe how much we hate them. it's not healthy or rational. they're terrible in every way.

I'm happy to go into very legitimate and sociological reasons why. curious if you have the same relationship with UGA.

btw - we beat UGA in major bowls (one to win a natty) twice so if you hate them, well, again, we're your friends.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
so one more question:

feelings about UGA. we'd all just assumed that it was like us with PSU. maybe we're wrong. but let me describe our feelings towards PSU (and the Sandusky stuff is completely predictable). I grew up in prime PSU territory and hated them. there is no word in the English language to describe how much we hate them. it's not healthy or rational. they're terrible in every way.

I'm happy to go into very legitimate and sociological reasons why. curious if you have the same relationship with UGA.

btw - we beat UGA in major bowls (one to win a natty) twice so if you hate them, well, again, we're your friends.
Pretty much! I get an intense feeling of anger and hate at even just seeing their logo. I also have an intense hatred of the color red and don't own anything red (I actually stopped buying coke zero with the new rebrand cause it is now a red can with black lettering). It is completely irrational and unhealthy but I can not help it.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much! I get an intense feeling of anger and hate at even just seeing their logo. I also have an intense hatred of the color red and don't own anything red (I actually stopped buying coke zero with the new rebrand cause it is now a red can with black lettering). It is completely irrational and unhealthy but I can not help it.
The only thing irrational and unhealthy is what they've done to that dog.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Is it really still a 'dog'? That bloodline has been inbred so much that it probably onle has one or two genes in its entire DNA pool. Biologsts might now even categorize it as bening canine.
It does moreso resemble a pile of goo at this point.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
so one more question:

Their fans are bad losers and worse winners. I’ve seen them listed in a couple of articles as being in the bottom 10 of fan bases. Letting those flea bags in Bobby Dodd every other year is awful.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
Their fans are bad losers and worse winners. I’ve seen them listed in a couple of articles as being in the bottom 10 of fan bases. Letting those flea bags in Bobby Dodd every other year is awful.

so PA decided to make PSU a sort of feeder community college deal. there are like 22 satellite campuses that offer associates degrees. so there are dopey little PSU's all over the state so people can say they went to penn state. their like cockroaches-everywhere you turn there is a PSU, "alum." and then their whole family has to be PSU people. vile cultist scum.

I don't wish ill on any human being but I also wouldn't be sad if it turned out PSU sat on a sarlac pit and got swallowed whole.

here's a typical PSU fan: my cousin growing up didn't play football and didn't care much about it. certainly didn't care about PSU. he leaves for the navy after HS and never lives in the state again in his life. has lived in NC for 20 years. his two boys have never lived in PA. but somehow my cousin and his kids are supposed huge PSU fans. and have the stickers on their cars yada yada. idiots.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
so PA decided to make PSU a sort of feeder community college deal. there are like 22 satellite campuses that offer associates degrees. so there are dopey little PSU's all over the state so people can say they went to penn state. their like cockroaches-everywhere you turn there is a PSU, "alum." and then their whole family has to be PSU people. vile cultist scum.

I don't wish ill on any human being but I also wouldn't be sad if it turned out PSU sat on a sarlac pit and got swallowed whole.

here's a typical PSU fan: my cousin growing up didn't play football and didn't care much about it. certainly didn't care about PSU. he leaves for the navy after HS and never lives in the state again in his life. has lived in NC for 20 years. his two boys have never lived in PA. but somehow my cousin and his kids are supposed huge PSU fans. and have the stickers on their cars yada yada. idiots.
I feel your pain! :cool:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
So what you're saying without saying it is that you're against sidewalk fans across America who purchase Tech gear. Makes you sound ignorant since that is the demographic that we are after.

I give more to GT than I do the college I went to and played for 4 years with that schools name across my chest. But since I didn't go to Tech, my money and I are a joke to you?

I see a lot of humor directed to mutt fans buying gear from Walmart, but those folks allow the mutts to have so much dang money and their fans making every road game a home because of the amount of tix they buy.

Let's not knock sidewalk fans just because we are rare.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
So what you're saying without saying it is that you're against sidewalk fans across America who purchase Tech gear. Makes you sound ignorant since that is the demographic that we are after.

I give more to GT than I do the college I went to and played for 4 years with that schools name across my chest. But since I didn't go to Tech, my money and I are a joke to you?

I see a lot of humor directed to mutt fans buying gear from Walmart, but those folks allow the mutts to have so much dang money and their fans making every road game a home because of the amount of tix they buy.

Let's not knock sidewalk fans just because we are rare.
Glad to have you with us.