Opinion question about the GT offense going into 2017

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Who do y'all think will be the Quarterback for Georgia Tech for the SEC-ACC kickoff game against Tennessee? I think TaQuon Marshall could very well be the quarterback starting for GT going into the game. Tennessee's quarterback will be Quinten Dormady who is a dropback passer who is on the slow side.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Main thing is 3 talented guys who bring different things to the table will be competing for the job. Whomever emerges should do a decent job for a first year guy.

Marshall's slippery as hell and appears to have enough arm strength. Accuracy, ball-handling/security, running the O are yet to be revealed. Looks like a high ceiling and a good enough athlete to get it all figured out.

Johnson has IMO the best HS throwing film of any guy we've brought in. I put him above Vad Lee's HS film due to arm strength. Ball comes out easy. We'll have to see how accurate he is, how he protects and handles the ball, and whether he can get us in the right play.

Jordan is big and strong and CPJ is pretty confident with him right now. Definitely has to be considered the favorite based on experience.

Give 'em reps and let 'em sort themselves out I say.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Think this is about the 3rd time we've discussed this, but heck, it's a slow Tuesday...

Highest Ceiling Overall: Lucas Johnson. Probably has the best ability passing the ball (though we've yet to see it on this level, just based on comparing HS tape of the candidates). He's also a great athlete with enough speed to pull away on the second level. Ran a triple option based offense for two years in HS before transitioning to a spread passing attack. One of the taller QBs CPJ has signed so he'll have vision to all sides of the field. Could be special in our offense with his skillset and the skill players CPJ has been signing.

Most Ready to Start: Matthew Jordan. He'll have been in this offense for 4 years by the time 2017 rolls around. Barring a major rash of injuries, he'll have by far the most playing experience of any candidate. Very tough runner with underated athleticism and speed. Better passer than most give him credit for, though not the strongest of arms. Odds are, MJ will be the starter come 2017.

Highest Ceiling For Just Our Option Attack: Taquan Marshall. Probably one of the most gifted players on our team at any position. Just outstanding overall athleticism. Doesn't possess great speed, but has very good speed that can get him by the first wave of defenders, and very good quickness to make guys miss on the second level. The only issue with Taquan is he's not a very strong passer...yet. HS film showed very modest abilities passing the ball. If this offense is going to take the next step, our QBs have to be a legit threat throwing the ball.

Darkhorse: Jay Jones. Phenomenal athlete that could probably play multiple positions on both sides of the ball. Might actually be the fastest QB on our roster not name Justin Thomas. His senior film was actually quite impressive in regards to passing. He's not a Lucas Johnson level passer, but his film did show patience letting WRs get open and not fleeing the pocket while under duress. His vertical throws are really good. Good accuracy and touch. Has an uncanny ability to feel the rush from his blindside and avoiding it. In the long term, he's the happy medium between LJ and Marshall. If he can show the ability to improve his passing like he did between his JR and SR year in HS, CPJ may have signed a true diamond in the rough. Would not surprise me at all to hear that he's in the running to start.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Who do y'all think will be the Quarterback for Georgia Tech for the SEC-ACC kickoff game against Tennessee? I think TaQuon Marshall could very well be the quarterback starting for GT going into the game. Tennessee's quarterback will be Quinten Dormady who is a dropback passer who is on the slow side.
I don't think it matters much who the quarterback is if we don't start blocking better. Come to think of it, some wide receivers getting separation in man to man coverage would be kind of nice as well.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it matters much who the quarterback is if we don't start blocking better. Come to think of it, some wide receivers getting separation in man to man coverage would be kind of nice as well.
I still don't get this about our WR's. Can they get better? Sure, but we run a very simple route tree, so if we are not running the ball effectively then chances are our WR's will not get separation, because DB's are able to worry more about the WR and not help stop the run. The reason we get such big plays from our passing game isn't always because they run these great routes to get separation, but because our run game is so effective we are able to get DB's to bite on play action. Put June as a starter on the 2014 team and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he was as affective as Waller, the only difference from then till now is our run game was much better in 2014.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Probably Jordan, because experience reigns supreme, but from what I've seen I'd prefer to go with one of the freshmen, and plan for having a 4 year starter with a higher upside, even if it means potentially more issues next year. I feel that Jordan is solid, and could probably lead us to a bowl game, but doesn't give us much of a chance at competing for an ACC championship.