Onto Notre Dame

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
team has lots of work to do in practice for this one, but I’m confident Key will get the boys ready.

However, even if they’re ready ND has way more talent and a really good defense. I think we lose this one by two scores.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have to play better, and coach better than we have thus far to have a chance to win this game. The opportunity is there but we have to clean up our act if we want to have a chance to win this game. I am hoping to see the progress we have yet to see this year, come to fruition in this game.

Go Jackets!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think we can beat Notre Dame, but we’re a very dinged up team. They’ve got to get Pyron ready with the whole playbook by Saturday to have a chance. I like the matchups, though.
What specifically do you like in the matchup? Anything you think favors GT?

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
I think we can beat Notre Dame, but we’re a very dinged up team. They’ve got to get Pyron ready with the whole playbook by Saturday to have a chance. I like the matchups, though.
King might play, the players I know say he's okay. But he got looked at further after the game, so the depth chart will give us the answer on if it's HK or Pyron.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
If we don’t have to pass all over the lot King will be fine. TBH, l can’t see us doing that anyway. He looked fine on the sideline Saturday, so unless it’s a concussion protocol it wouldn’t surprise me to see him start. He’s a tough young man.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
This game is personal for me lol — as any of you from a big Catholic family (like me) know, every cousin, uncle, aunt, etc. are Notre Dame fans. So here's a PSA for everyone: If you don't have tickets for this game yet, BUY THEM NOW. We need to give our guys a home-field advantage! If you aren't familiar with the ND fanbase, I can promise they'll bring at least 20-30k, so we need to do our part. I'm flying down from Pittsburgh later this week specifically for that reason, so if I can make it, you can too!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Riley Leonard had a slow start, but he's starting to play like the high round NFL pick he was predicted to be last year at Duke before his injury. He can hurt you with his arm and his legs...very much like our own Haynes King.

Notre Dame is currently #8 in overall FEI, #21 in Offensive FEI, and #1 in Defensive FEI.

GT's overall FEI is #50, Offensive FEI is #19, and Defensive FEI is #79.

Statistically, ND will be the 2nd best team we'll play this year after UGA (#4 overall FEI).

If we continue to have extended lapses or make boneheaded mistakes, this game will get UGLY for us. IMO, our best chance against ND is to extend drives on offense, finish drives with points, and steal a few possessions (whether making them punt, or creating TOs). It will be our best (our offense) against their best (the nation's best defense). I know we've had our qualms about Faulkner's offense this year, but statistically, this has been our best offense since the Paul Johnson years...and it's really not even close. Our current offense is light years of where we were in the Collins years.

Make no mistake, ND is VERY competent on offense. They are happy with moving the ball and keeping possession because they know they have a great defense.

From a betting perspective, ND is favored by 8.5 points according to FanDuel. GT isn't as big of an underdog as we think, and this game is winnable if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Riley Leonard had a slow start, but he's starting to play like the high round NFL pick he was predicted to be last year at Duke before his injury. He can hurt you with his arm and his legs...very much like our own Haynes King.

Notre Dame is currently #8 in overall FEI, #21 in Offensive FEI, and #1 in Defensive FEI.

GT's overall FEI is #50, Offensive FEI is #19, and Defensive FEI is #79.

Statistically, ND will be the 2nd best team we'll play this year after UGA (#4 overall FEI).

If we continue to have extended lapses or make boneheaded mistakes, this game will get UGLY for us. IMO, our best chance against ND is to extend drives on offense, finish drives with points, and steal a few possessions (whether making them punt, or creating TOs). It will be our best (our offense) against their best (the nation's best defense). I know we've had our qualms about Faulkner's offense this year, but statistically, this has been our best offense since the Paul Johnson years...and it's really not even close. Our current offense is light years of where we were in the Collins years.

Make no mistake, ND is VERY competent on offense. They are happy with moving the ball and keeping possession because they know they have a great defense.

From a betting perspective, ND is favored by 8.5 points according to FanDuel. GT isn't as big of an underdog as we think, and this game is winnable if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.
Sounds like a ball control game that limits possessions. We have to make every possession count, even if it’s only flipping the field.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Good post Techster. As you said we need a few turnovers. In the one game Pyron played meaningful minutes, (VT), he had a great passing day. I'm assuming King can't play. I personally think it's a shoulder problem. I would ather sit him for this game, and get him 100% for the more winnable games later. Having had shoulder problems myself, if it is only inflamation, he will heal pretty quickly. But I believe he's had the problem for several weeks and it apparently hasn't gotten better. I'm not optimistic.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Riley Leonard had a slow start, but he's starting to play like the high round NFL pick he was predicted to be. He can hurt you with his legs...very much like our own Haynes King.
Great running qb…..we are ded

we’ve gotta make key passes for 1st downs to win this game or even stay in it, our offense stalls hard if the ultra-predictable first down run is stuffed or doesn’t gain more than 2-3 yards

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The opportunity is there but we have to clean up our act if we want to have a chance to win this game. I am hoping to see the progress we have yet to see this year, come to fruition in this game.

Go Jackets!

While all of us know there is room for improvement, at 5-2 this year I don't know how one can't see improvement unless...you know the rest of the cliche. We haven't been at this stage in a decade so it predates even the TFG debacle.The Defensive improvement alone jumps out at me. We don't have receivers running wide open 5 or 6 times a game while DB's stand around and point fingers at one another. We now get enough stops that I don't feel like the offense has to score every time they touch the ball like I have the past 15 years. I conceed that we still have ST issues and are offense may be at or slightly below the same place is was last year but I think the bottom line speaks for itself in this case. But I am astonished that anyone would make this claim tbh.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Well ND will not have any film on Pyron passing this year. Will need to go back a year or more. I suspect Key will make HK day to day to keep them guessing. Will we see Philo if getting blown out late and forced to pass. The kid can flat sling it. They will be set to stop the run and force us to beat them passing it. Riley Leonard can scramble which has been an Achilles heel for us this year. I saw him do it at Duke. We lose contain way to often and allow a jailbreak for big yardage.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I do find myself wondering "where in the heck is the DE?" on more than one occasion when watching our games.
Me too. I think too often he takes the inside gap to the QB gets his butt sealed off. I had “deep as the ball and turn in” drilled into my head by my position coach. Also, with only 2 LB, the DE has to know where that LB behind him is going to be when he takes that inside gap.