One year ago today, we were set free....

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
most of this stuff is just about you thinking what collins did was lame and goofy. the bottom line is the actual important stuff, the on field product, right now is eerily similar. we are not better on special teams. we are not better at the line of scrimmage, we are not tackling well, we are not managing the clock and timeouts well. we even did the patented show some signs of improvement vs wake then completely **** the bed in an easy game the following week

maybe some of this won’t change until we just process out guys who’s development got ****ed by collins being a moron, but as of now the actual on field product is similar and defending it and making excuses is basically coming down to liking key more as a person
By your own admission, though, this year's squad is similar to the old collins teams EXCEPT for the fact that this year's team has a good QB. That's a HUGE difference. I've had infinitely more fun watching this year's offense for five games than in the past half-decade (maybe full decade) of GT football. This team isn't perfect and Haynes isn't either, but he finally gives me some optimism about what the team can be like next year and the year after.

As the QB goes, the team goes.

JacketFan137

Banned
By your own admission, though, this year's squad is similar to the old collins teams EXCEPT for the fact that this year's team has a good QB. That's a HUGE difference. I've had infinitely more fun watching this year's offense for five games than in the past half-decade (maybe full decade) of GT football. This team isn't perfect and Haynes isn't either, but he finally gives me some optimism about what the team can be like next year and the year after.

As the QB goes, the team goes.
yeah i agree and halfway decent qb play probably gets us to a bowl game at some point in the past 4 years. sims, yates, graham, and whoever else saw snaps just weren’t good and have all proven even at other locations they are terrible.

king does give me optimism and something to look forward to but this defense needs such a serious overhaul and the special teams mistakes are such a weekly occurrence it’s getting hard to be optimistic about our outlook as a whole cause i don’t see how we can ask the offense to put up 40 points every week to stay in games.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
yeah i agree and halfway decent qb play probably gets us to a bowl game at some point in the past 4 years. sims, yates, graham, and whoever else saw snaps just weren’t good and have all proven even at other locations they are terrible.

king does give me optimism and something to look forward to but this defense needs such a serious overhaul and the special teams mistakes are such a weekly occurrence it’s getting hard to be optimistic about our outlook as a whole cause i don’t see how we can ask the offense to put up 40 points every week to stay in games.
For the record, I totally agree with most of your criticisms. The defense is AWFUL. Special teams are still not good, but they have improved. And we most DEFINITELY never saw an offense like this under collins.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For the record, I totally agree with most of your criticisms. The defense is AWFUL. Special teams are still not good, but they have improved. And we most DEFINITELY never saw an offense like this under collins.

This offense is good enough to take us bowling...and maybe 7-9 wins. However, when your defense is a gaping hole, even a good to very good offense isn't going to make up for it. Add to that uneven special teams, and we're getting exactly what we deserve.

JacketFan137

Banned
yeah i should have mentioned that the offense looks much better in the comment. i also think the offense finally looking like a solid offense just makes it so frustrating that we saw a regression in the defense from the end of last year. i get the qb change is a major deal on the improvement, but i figured a good off season with a better HC could at least insure our defense was in the middle of the pack in fbs not bordering on the bottom

slugboy

Staff member
yeah i should have mentioned that the offense looks much better in the comment. i also think the offense finally looking like a solid offense just makes it so frustrating that we saw a regression in the defense from the end of last year. i get the qb change is a major deal on the improvement, but i figured a good off season with a better HC could at least insure our defense was in the middle of the pack in fbs not bordering on the bottom
There are 131 FBS programs, with coaches and analysts. There are NFL teams with scouts, coaches, analysts, and personnel positions.

He might be considered short term or “overqualified” (I know that looks crazy, forgive me, I hated writing it), but he either doesn’t want to work, or wants a job that no one wants to give him

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
probs posturing for an analyst or recruiting role
Wasn’t sure why, right after Tech dumped him, he ran straight for the arms of our most hated rival. I also vaguely remember his social media in which he went from “Tech being his dream job” to throwing shade on the program.

I’m not sure who would want someone who shows this much lack of maturity. But if the adage is true that a sucker is born every minute I suppose he might sweet talk his way into a job somewhere.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
There are 131 FBS programs, with coaches and analysts. There are NFL teams with scouts, coaches, analysts, and personnel positions.

He might be considered short term or “overqualified” (I know that looks crazy, forgive me, I hated writing it), but he either doesn’t want to work, or wants a job that no one wants to give him

I agree with your last take. I liken him to Cousin Eddie holding out for ‘management’. I perceive the former head coaches that went through the Saban rehab program had enough humility to acknowledge their own faults and try to learn from them. I actually enjoy his hostility towards his former ‘dream job’ since it should further corroborate his unemployability.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
More evidence for my tin foil hat theory that Collins was actually a deep-cover “plant” from the Georgia program. Did anyone watch “The Americans”? They were playing the long game…
He always said he would come to Bobby Dodd and watch the JV Thanksgiving game and others, but he NEVER said he grew up a Tech fan.