One thing the GT brass should have learned last week....

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
This kind of PR can not be bought. We were in every discussion, good or bad, about CFB all week. This can be more than a one time deal if we can get the support we need in all athletics. It has been the impression, right or wrong, that the educational side of the Institute has been at odds with the athletic side for quite some time. Maybe this is the impetus we need going forward in a united front. Going forward, we can have this more than once or twice per decade. It is great to be a fuzzy BEE, and we need to keep the momentum going forward.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
honestly, GT will have these seasons every 4-5 years. 1998, 2000, 2006, 2009, 2014 as you state. But that is who we are and the ceiling right now.

its who we are as a program. Despite I agree with you, the reality is the GT brass considers all this press as a "bonus" and not a motivation to incite change to continue to have this success more regularly in their football program.

I wish it would be every 4-5 times a decade, but even for big programs that his hard to do. I mean look at VT, hell even UGA has had 7-6 season the past 5 years or so. Its just hard to do. Even harder at tech

but I would love a change to help. I really think if Bobinski adds more support staff to the program that will help. I really do!!!! And we need to keep assistants for years...turnover there hurts. But we will never let many more dummies in. We won't expand majors. Etc etc.

our best hope is more support staff, pointed and classy facilities upgrades, paying assistants well, keeping our nose's clean program wise, and geeting 2-3 key exceptions a year....if we do that, with good coaching, no reason we can't be a 9-10 win team every few years, and maybe even string together back to back 10 win teams every once and a while!!!

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
As CPJ has said more than a few times, winning is hard. You can have a lot of pieces in place and not have a great season (see Miami, UGA, etc). We need to continue to do what needs to be done behind the scenes to have every opportunity. We're fortunate to have a staff that able to maximize the cards they are dealt.

Beyond the brass, I think the FANS should have learned something this week. Winning is FUN. Supporting your program 100% is FUN. Seeing positive fan and media attention from around the nation is FUN.

As fans, we need to be more united. We need to buy tickets, show up and be loud. We need to stand up for our program, players and coaches when others criticize. If we could bottle up the last week and unleash this passion and energy every season, we'd really break ourselves free of being an average fan base. Too often, it seems like we're the worst enemy of our own program. Let's end that now.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
honestly, GT will have these seasons every 4-5 years. 1998, 2000, 2006, 2009, 2014 as you state. But that is who we are and the ceiling right now.

its who we are as a program. Despite I agree with you, the reality is the GT brass considers all this press as a "bonus" and not a motivation to incite change to continue to have this success more regularly in their football program.

I wish it would be every 4-5 times a decade, but even for big programs that his hard to do. I mean look at VT, hell even UGA has had 7-6 season the past 5 years or so. Its just hard to do. Even harder at tech

but I would love a change to help. I really think if Bobinski adds more support staff to the program that will help. I really do!!!! And we need to keep assistants for years...turnover there hurts. But we will never let many more dummies in. We won't expand majors. Etc etc.

our best hope is more support staff, pointed and classy facilities upgrades, paying assistants well, keeping our nose's clean program wise, and geeting 2-3 key exceptions a year....if we do that, with good coaching, no reason we can't be a 9-10 win team every few years, and maybe even string together back to back 10 win teams every once and a while!!!
Very well said 33. It's important for many reasons to jump from a 7-5 program to a 9-3 level. This can very well be "who we are" (especially with success on exceptions).

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
One "expert" on ESPN made this comment a few weeks ago. "That with the new format, certain teams are positioning themselves to cash in on the exposure. Those that do not will get left behind." I suppose you could compare it to the arms race back during the cold war.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Tech is well-positioned going forward as well by this offense. In a playoff scenario the challenge for Tech would be the first game given that the time off element is similar to the (apparent) challenge for CPJ of bowl games. However, a playoff format overall with its quick turnaround between games is clearly right in CPJ's offensive scheming wheelhouse.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Tech is well-positioned going forward as well by this offense. In a playoff scenario the challenge for Tech would be the first game given that the time off element is similar to the (apparent) challenge for CPJ of bowl games. However, a playoff format overall with its quick turnaround between games is clearly right in CPJ's offensive scheming wheelhouse.

This is, I believe, why his teams at Georgia Southern were so successful in that Division's Playoff process and why I think/hope that if we're ever able to make into that Top 4 (or 8 when expanded), we'll have a legitimate chance of winning the whole thing. Coach Johnson has an offense that most teams haven't practiced for all year (or years) and he is the best at game time adjustments with his offense because he's been running it so long. I truly believe if we can keep up our momentum, we've just scratched the surface of where we can end up because of OUR Head Coach's experience and OUR offensive advantage in such a short window.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That would be freaking great to go up against a lineup of teams that have never played us and only a week to get ready

MidtownJacket

Staff member
As a graduate of GT I am keenly interested in keeping the academic standard high. I think many before me have said it better than I will here - but there are enough smart players in the world to keep our standards high. I would rather miss a few of the studs and keep out the trash that players like Jameis Winston brought to FSU.

Can you imagine being a kid on the FSU team that did the right things, kept his nose clean and gets all the disrespect the media has lumped on FSU due to JW..

I don't know the 2nd stringer's story - but he stepped in and did his work when needed - I feel for him and his teammates

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to share some of the Twitter action from Saturday. The majority of the publicity was overwhelmingly positive and not just because everyone wanted FSU to lose.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is, I believe, why his teams at Georgia Southern were so successful in that Division's Playoff process and why I think/hope that if we're ever able to make into that Top 4 (or 8 when expanded), we'll have a legitimate chance of winning the whole thing. Coach Johnson has an offense that most teams haven't practiced for all year (or years) and he is the best at game time adjustments with his offense because he's been running it so long. I truly believe if we can keep up our momentum, we've just scratched the surface of where we can end up because of OUR Head Coach's experience and OUR offensive advantage in such a short window.
Ga So had a damn good defense in the CPJ era.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Luginbill is the only dip**** talking unis. Also, he's wrong. Yellow jackets make hexagonal nests, too. I am embarrassed his sorry *** went to GT and I'm glad he removed "former GT quarterback" from his byline. (I wonder if he adds it back in now that we're doing good?)

image_preview

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Luginbill is the only dip**** talking unis. Also, he's wrong. Yellow jackets make hexagonal nests, too. I am embarrassed his sorry *** went to GT and I'm glad he removed "former GT quarterback" from his byline. (I wonder if he adds it back in now that we're doing good?)

image_preview
Someone should send this picture to that D bag