One of my long held offensive thoughts in question now

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
We ate up the clock because our lack of depth on the defensive line. Running more plays and scoring quicker does not help our defense nor our team. It just would give us more total stats, which seems to be the only thing you care about, and loses.
Yes. We are so thin at the D-line that eating up clock on offence gives our best linemen the rest they need to be Competetive on defense. Without that rest Stargell Kallon and some walk on we never heard of would be playing a lot of snaps. Then you would really be screaming about no pressure on the opponents QB and calling for CTR to be fires.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually think the opposite. Missing in more passing would make the running game even more nasty. The second half we got stopped twice due to a lack of synergy between JT & Waller. Waller probably could have done what he wanted with that one on one match up. JT has to develop more trust in all the WR and pass when they appear covered as well. We also need to pass when the running game is moving to develop that chemistry on the field for it was two series too late for it to happen in the forth.
I like that JT doesnt force the pass, but he also has to trust his wr more. Passing got us with 2 in less than 60 sec. The goal is to out score your opponent not just eat up the clock.
Took off with 6 min left because my eight year old was about to pass out. On the radio, the announcers said something about our last drive: "Thomas is letting loose and trusting his throws, and they look great. I wish he would've done that earlier."

I took that to mean that he's playing tight; he's a RS-SO in year 1, so I'm not surprised. I think he has the ability to make the throws (we've seen it), he just needs to be more comfortable. He's got a bunch of experience to draw from this year, I think it bodes well for the future. If this was year one as a starter, he's going to be sick in year three. And I'm assuming that he makes some leaps he's a competitor.

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
Our average scoring drive time last night against FSU with primarily running the TO and only minimal passing if any was around 5 minutes per drive for paydirt. FSU's prolific passing scoring drives were on average around 3 minutes or less per paydirt. Our D was stopping them in field goal range and denying them TD's in the entire 2nd half. Simply doing the math, the coach should be prepared a little earlier in the 4th quarter to pull out the 2-minute Offense drill when it was clear our D was denying them the end zone, but we needed some quick points because we were falling behind and time was becoming a critical factor. With potentially 10 minutes of TO Offense needed in a 15-minute quarter to win a ballgame if FSU goes up by two scores, wouldn't it behoove a coach to consider implementing his two-minute offense a little sooner??? This, to me, is a limitation of the TO Offense that has to be reckoned with if we want to get to the next level with it, especially when you play against prolific fast-scoring offenses like FSU and UGA with field-goal kickers who never miss.

Byerly's 2-minute Offense drill against Duke was highly effective at getting two quick scores, but it was employed a little late because JT took too long to take himself out of the game when he was clearly playing injured in that ballgame. If PJ had taken JT out sooner than later, I have no doubt in my mind, with the way Byerly was throwing the 2-minute drill, we would have won that game against Duke. I really would like to see Byerly get more opportunities for 2-minute drill offense when we need it in emergency situations. He can rifle that ball with pinpoint accuracy. I was highly impressed with his throwing ability. Yes, he's not a scrambler or as quick-footed as JT, but he's a deadly accurate passer in the pocket and can clearly be a game-changer. UGA has played two quarterbacks before with good success. There is no reason we can't do the same, especially in emergency situations.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Our average scoring drive time last night against FSU with primarily running the TO and only minimal passing if any was around 5 minutes per drive for paydirt. FSU's prolific passing scoring drives were on average around 3 minutes or less per paydirt. Our D was stopping them in field goal range and denying them TD's in the entire 2nd half. Simply doing the math, the coach should be prepared a little earlier in the 4th quarter to pull out the 2-minute Offense drill when it was clear our D was denying them the end zone, but we needed some quick points because we were falling behind and time was becoming a critical factor. With potentially 10 minutes of TO Offense needed in a 15-minute quarter to win a ballgame if FSU goes up by two scores, wouldn't it behoove a coach to consider implementing his two-minute offense a little sooner??? This, to me, is a limitation of the TO Offense that has to be reckoned with if we want to get to the next level with it, especially when you play against prolific fast-scoring offenses like FSU and UGA with field-goal kickers who never miss.

Byerly's 2-minute Offense drill against Duke was highly effective at getting two quick scores, but it was employed a little late because JT took too long to take himself out of the game when he was clearly playing injured in that ballgame. If PJ had taken JT out sooner than later, I have no doubt in my mind, with the way Byerly was throwing the 2-minute drill, we would have won that game against Duke. I really would like to see Byerly get more opportunities for 2-minute drill offense when we need it in emergency situations. He can rifle that ball with pinpoint accuracy. I was highly impressed with his throwing ability. Yes, he's not a scrambler or as quick-footed as JT, but he's a deadly accurate passer in the pocket and can clearly be a game-changer. UGA has played two quarterbacks before with good success. There is no reason we can't do the same, especially in emergency situations.
I also like Byerly alot. Its a shame he couldnt have come along after JT so he could have more of a shot. But he was playing against the prevent D in the Duke game and they were playing relaxed. Byerly is a good passer and runner... but i wouldnt judge solely off of junk time drives.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I feel confident that JT will work hard all offseason to develop new chemistry with his next receiving corp
Agree. And he can start with the practice sessions for the bowl game. He needs to build a confidence factor with the younger receivers, say Summers, Juene and Messick.

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
I also like Byerly alot. Its a shame he couldnt have come along after JT so he could have more of a shot. But he was playing against the prevent D in the Duke game and they were playing relaxed. Byerly is a good passer and runner... but i wouldnt judge solely off of junk time drives.

Yeah, it was definitely a prevent D he was playing against, but I saw something even in those two series that was very impressive. His pass placement opposite the defenders, rifling speed, and accuracy were remarkable. I do believe he is a very talented passer. He seemed to be in his element. He made it look almost effortless. It must also be said that the O-line was doing a remarkable job blocking for him in the pocket as well, of course.

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan
Honestly, I felt like CPJ got really over-confident with the running game after how well it performed in the first half, and the lack of willingness to throw on 1st and 2nd down in the 2nd half cost us the game. It's a small mistake, and he's still obviously Top 10% of coaches nation-wide, but if we throw like 10 passes, we absolutely win that game. Play-action would have been wide open if we were using it occasionally in the 3rd quarter.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, I felt like CPJ got really over-confident with the running game after how well it performed in the first half, and the lack of willingness to throw on 1st and 2nd down in the 2nd half cost us the game. It's a small mistake, and he's still obviously Top 10% of coaches nation-wide, but if we throw like 10 passes, we absolutely win that game. Play-action would have been wide open if we were using it occasionally in the 3rd quarter.
In general, I don't think sticking to the run was a mistake. When you have something that is working that well, you have to stick with it until they show you that they can stop it. We ran the ball successfully for almost the entire game.

It was the same with UGA. When UGA was firing the corners for run support, the receivers were left wide open. No one near them. I could have thrown them the ball. But even with them firing the corners, we were getting 5,6,7 yards a pop, burning clock and killing their defense. Why would we throw it?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That miscommunication between Waller and JT was a bit of psychological baiting. Not sure what the outcome was suppose to be, but the FSU DB was playing for the back shoulder throw he's probably seen on tape from us all season.

If JT and Waller were on the same page, Waller walks into the endzone. The FSU DB was sitting on the back shoulder throw.
We should have just called a hitch and go and not a read play. Poor chemistry between players means take the option out of the route.