One of my candidates for breakout player of the year

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Anthony Williams.

He's obviously a much better fit in the 3-4 scheme. He has been working hard this off-season and showed some good flashes in the Spring. I think he will be a very good backup this year who earns PT as the year goes on.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it's time for Anthony to show out. He is too good an athlete to continue to lag behind the others on our defense. He always plays great in the scrimmages but has not earned substantial playing time. Maybe the change in the staff combined with the defensive scheme will propel him to stardom. I certainly hope so. He is one of our Henry County Boys so he needs to represent.

Go Jackets!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I just have a feeling with being healthy and the changes on offense, David Sims is going to have a monster year. After two years of JD and the AA, I think opponents said "no more" to the B-Back beating them. The dive has been a key for most of our opponents. With some of the other things we will be doing, I think the B-Back will be a feature again.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
On defense Hunt-Days is getting a lot of hype as a first-year starting SO. If you don't count last year as his break-out, then I think he'll be a household ACC name this season. Both because he's a beast and I'm not sure how well our DL will hold the LOS.

For offense it's arguable that is Vad for the same reason. He wasn't even a starter last season so it's tough to say he broke out. I think both Lee and Hunt-Days are gonna be mentioned a lot this season in everything from box scores and ACC POTW releases to ACC OPOTY and DPOTY discussions.

If those two are already too established to be considered breakout players then I think it's Gotsis on defense and Waller on offense. Waller is the only half-way established WR threat on the roseter for this season and he's got the size/speed to make some noise getting single coverage. That's a formula for a break-out year whether he's really that good or not.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
On Roof's Penn State defense, 2 of the LB's were in the top 5 tacklers in their conference. Tenuta's defenses were like that too. Our Mike and Will were always super-productive. Think about the pairs we had. Smith and Wimbush, then Smith and Fox, then Wilkinson and Reis, then Wheeler and Hall, then Wheeler and Guyton. Man, those were the days. Under the last 2 DC's, the safeties were racking up wayyyy too many tackling stats. I'm hoping for more of the great LB duos under Roof. So, I'm hoping for JHD and Nealy to be the first pair.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Anthony Williams.

He's obviously a much better fit in the 3-4 scheme. He has been working hard this off-season and showed some good flashes in the Spring. I think he will be a very good backup this year who earns PT as the year goes on.
I think you meant the 4-3 scheme. And, I agree about Williams. I've been thinking about him being a factor in this new scheme too.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
You're right...meant 4-3.

I already consider JHD a very good player.

I think Days and Nealy will excel.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
For me personally I am basing it off of someone who has not played much and has been a non factor thus far.

hdgtfan

Georgia Tech Fan
For me personally I am basing it off of someone who has not played much and has been a non factor thus far.

I will add Smelter as a candidate for this season,
really hope he can make an impact on the
receiver corps

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Well that's the requirement.
Offense
Snoddy
Defense
Golden/Holton

Impact Freshman
Offense
Juene
Defense
Gamble

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think he will RS. We have good depth this year and he needs to lose a lot of weight.