On this day in 2004...

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow, that brings back memories! My son and I flew into Houston Monday rented a car and got to SA about 6 hrs. before the game. Our tix were in the Ucon section and their fans wondered why there wasn't more Tech fans there. Next morning got up early to beat it back to Houston in a terrible thunder storm feeling awful about the loss. Still that was a great trip to have with my son!
Almost the same experience my son and I had. Drove to SA from Houston, dropped off stuff in some dump of a motel, got to the game . Ucon guy wondered why there so few Tech fans ( I just smiled and thought, that's the way Tech fans are). Got back to Houston by car in that same storm and thought that the plane might not get off the ground back to Atlanta, but we made it. Just a take away, it was a helter skelter trip, wish we had won and played Duke for all the marbles. It was a life time memory to be with my son and one that might not happen again!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Almost the same experience my son and I had. Drove to SA from Houston, dropped off stuff in some dump of a motel, got to the game . Ucon guy wondered why there so few Tech fans ( I just smiled and thought, that's the way Tech fans are). Got back to Houston by car in that same storm and thought that the plane might not get off the ground back to Atlanta, but we made it. Just a take away, it was a helter skelter trip, wish we had won and played Duke for all the marbles. It was a life time memory to be with my son and one that might not happen again!
You're mixing two trips. San Antonio was the Championship game against UCONN in 2004. Playing Duke for all the marbles would have been Denver in 1990, where we lost to UNLV, who went on the beat Duke.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You're mixing two trips. San Antonio was the Championship game against UCONN in 2004. Playing Duke for all the marbles would have been Denver in 1990, where we lost to UNLV, who went on the beat Duke.
dook played UConn in the other semifinal. I think he meant he wished they'd have beaten UConn and then we'd have played them.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I was watching that game with a good buddy in Smyrna. As soon as it finished, I told him we had to drive down to Tech's campus to party (we had only graduated a couple years before). We drove down there expecting to find wild celebrations, only to see what looked like a relatively slow, quiet Saturday night. Students must have been on spring break or something. We were disappointed and just drove back to Smyrna :confused: