On the subject of watching replays

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
I was rewatching the VT game and their DT was shooting through the wide gaps created by our OL and JT was getting tackled nearly instantly. Some plays he was able to get the play off, barely, but other times he was tackled for a loss or worse.

Did we get better at adjusting to this as the season went on or did other teams not try this? The DT seemed hell bent on jumping the snap. Did we also get better at varying the count?

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Later in the year I noticed we committed more to narrowing the gaps. I personally like this change as the gaps have really bitten us against those fast VT fronts. I just cringe and remember '13...

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
UGA doing tried the same thing most of the game. I think it's pretty telling just how much the team progressed throughout the year to barely surviving against the VT line to almost dominating the UGA one

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I finally rewatched UNC, and I guess this can go here:
Holy hell, that was hard to watch. I had forgotten they converted a 4th and 6 for a 40+ yard TD. We probably had the best ever onside kick to not be recovered. We probably missed 50 tackles. And still could have won it.
They threw a swing pass on 30% of their passes and would make the first guy miss and get 5+ yards. Kinda like our rocket toss. We need the DL to up its game this year, because we got worked in that one. Probably our dbs worst tackling behind GSU.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I finally rewatched UNC, and I guess this can go here:
Holy hell, that was hard to watch. I had forgotten they converted a 4th and 6 for a 40+ yard TD. We probably had the best ever onside kick to not be recovered. We probably missed 50 tackles. And still could have won it.
They threw a swing pass on 30% of their passes and would make the first guy miss and get 5+ yards. Kinda like our rocket toss. We need the DL to up its game this year, because we got worked in that one. Probably our dbs worst tackling behind GSU.
I was sitting next to a former GT DB during that game who kept getting irate at the cushion we gave them at the LOS.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I was sitting next to a former GT DB during that game who kept getting irate at the cushion we gave them at the LOS.
That was the way we played any spread option team for a long time...give them a big fat cushion and try to keep them in front of you when they make that swing pass. Too bad if we tackle them they are guaranteed 5+ yards, and if we miss they get 15. Eventually the short field allowed the rest of the secondary to push up to closer to the line, but we had to give up 3/4 of the field to get there.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I think it just got to a point where we knew we had to keep them in front of us. We tried to man up earlier and it worked in stopping the swing, but Switzer burned us deep, and even barring that, they would just drag the slot and wait for him to get open. Without a pass rush, we were in a catch 22. Can't cover forever.
What pissed me off was the amount of missed tackles. We got a lot better play from the secondary after Pitt, but watching Tulane/GSU/UNC still makes me angry.
UNC has a good offense though and I expect another shootout. Hopefully the D proves me wrong.

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I found myself re watching the Tulane game last nite. OMG! JT played a god awful game in retrospect. Almost 4 turnovers in first half alone. Oline blocking was a disaster and sans a few turnovers defense was Swiss...crazy to see the improvement made by year end. Goes to show how a team like OSU could lose to VT and now be the scariest team in all the land. Having a seasoned JT plus 4/5 returning olinemen will accelerate the phrase that the option gets going by the time the leaves turn. We should be in mid season form by Sept 19tu which will be the greatest day of college football all season. We play the golden Domers and there are just about 6 other marquee matchups. You will see teams jump 5-10 spots in the rankings that day. Mark your calendar gents.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
We should see quite a difference on both sides of the ball in the Tulane game this year. Hopefully by early 3rd quarter we are subbing liberally and JT is enjoying cheerleading from the bench.