On Getting to the NFL

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Never played the game outside of my own backyard (where I racked up a very impressive W-L record over my four years there, btw).

That said, it seems to me that you don't get to the NFL by simply wanting to play in the NFL (ie, looking out for yourself first). "My grandma wants to fly jets." And you don't get there by listening to everyone in your family or posse who tells you you're going to the NFL because they see you as their future sugardaddy.

You get to the NFL by listening to your coaches and by developing as a great football player at every rung on your way up the ladder. A player who wants to play on Sunday ought to be giving everything he has for his teams on Fridays and then on Saturdays.

If that goes well, then you may get your shot. But it's earned and not simply bestowed.

Queue "Rudy". Roll tape.

JacketFan137

Banned
the one thing i don’t get is the constant banging on about “playing for yourself” vs “playing for the team”

every team you are a part of is filled with people playing for themselves in some capacity. no one you work with is doing it out of the kindness of their heart, in football every player at every level is either trying to get to the next level or get a bigger contract. that isn’t really an issue and shouldn’t be looked down on

playing for yourself does not necessarily make you a bad teammate. every player should be trying to be the best version of themselves because ultimately that is what helps the team.

getting to the nfl has a lot of things but first is necessary physical ability. you aren’t getting there as a corner running a 4.9, or a lineman that is getting 3 reps on bench press. after that then it’s a mix of character and what you put on film. just have to do a lot of things right on and off the field and then show up at the combine

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
every team you are a part of is filled with people playing for themselves in some capacity. no one you work with is doing it out of the kindness of their heart, in football every player at every level is either trying to get to the next level or get a bigger contract. that isn’t really an issue and shouldn’t be looked down on

The success of every team depends on individual efforts.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
exactly. football is really just a collection of individual matchups. a pass play isn’t successful if the WR can’t beat the corner, if the left tackle gets mowed over by the edge rusher, etc.
I’m not disagreeing with this but “winning individual matchups” =/= “playing as an individual (selfish).”

I’m kind of unclear as to the point in all of this discussion but it’s 100% certain that you have to have individual measurables / talent to reach professional level in any sport. If you’re a selfish individual, those measurables will certainly be dampened by that lack of character.

If we’re assessing goals, our goal is to be the best college football team we can be. Putting individuals in the league is secondary. That said, if we’re a successful college football twam, we’re going to be putting individuals in the league. Conversely, if we’re selfish individuals, we will neither be a successful team or successful individually in future endeavors.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ironically, to make it in the NFL, you also have to be a good student.

I was speaking to a coach about this last year. Unless you are a running back, athletes who don't do well in school make poor candidates for the pros. Seems as if the playbooks are ginormous and the complexity of today's game is far beyond "Tote that ball over there." Draft picks have to have the discipline to study the game. Like a professional. And those skills are learned in school.

Running backs (according to him), have such a short life that you just ram into the defense 35 x a game for 4 years and you draft a new one.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I was speaking to a coach about this last year. Unless you are a running back, athletes who don't do well in school make poor candidates for the pros. Seems as if the playbooks are ginormous and the complexity of today's game is far beyond "Tote that ball over there." Draft picks have to have the discipline to study the game. Like a professional. And those skills are learned in school.

Running backs (according to him), have such a short life that you just ram into the defense 35 x a game for 4 years and you draft a new one.
Great point.... I don't find this ironic or even surprising at all. We're forever hearing in all sports about "Football IQ" or "Basketball IQ" or how the "game slows down" for him. Its a product of putting in the work to study, prepare and research and having the mental capacity to retain and truly understand what it is you're doing in concept. Physical reps are crucial, but the learning aspect of it differentiates good from great.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
and you have to have be tall - and built for the NFL. I know there are some breakout shorter guys, but in general, you will not be a 5'8" QB in the NFL and may not even be able to play D1 football as a 5"8 guy. Some people can't get there because they simply aren't tall enough, which they can't do anything about, but I think almost every kid who plays D1 football thinks they might have a shot.

That being said - not height related, S. Griffin with his one hand is AMAZING and an inspiration in the NFL, but he's an exception to my above comment about being built for the NFL.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Totally anecdotal, but during my high school playing days, I played with 4 guys that made it to the NFL. One went to GT (DB turned LB), one went to UGA (TE turned OT), one went to UT (DB), and another went to Auburn (DB). They were all at minimum honor students in HS, and all but one graduated from college. The one that didn't (Auburn DB) left after his JR year and was drafted in the 4th round.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
For the most part, you get into the NFL because you are tremendously physically gifted, you got the right eyes on you to play significant college football, you were able to not flunk out for 3 years, and you didn't get hurt. I think very little of it has to do with being coached up, and a lot has to do with being innately skilled and not screwing up your shot.