O'leary

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I don't think CPJ should be fired yet...but Sewak should have a long time ago.

I am on the fence with CPJ...6-6 and 7-5 this year is a failure in my mind.

Either way he has this year and next no matter what.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Ya guys forget that O'Leary wasn't fired. He left us for Notre Dame for his two minutes of fame. Ya don't think he won't bolt again if "opportunity" called again?

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with Eric. Sewak needs to go, but I'm still on the fence with CPJ. I like him, but we have not been trending up as a program over the past three seasons. I will be content if we show forward progress this year and can continue that into 2014.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Think about how frustrating it would be if CPJ was coaching somewhere else on a team that we had to play regularly... Scary facing the offense he has.

But regardless I will say this... CPJ has to show results better than he has over his current 5 years completed. The first 2 were good but the last 3 not so much.

CPJ got rid of CAG because of the body of work CAG over his tenure here. I think the same rule should apply to CPJ after this year.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
Whether the problem is Sewak or not, our offensive line has been poor for CPJ's entire tenure. I fully expect to lose the battle of the trenches against teams like VT and UGA, but I expect us to at least put up some resistance.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
According to footballoutsiders S&P+ ratings, our offense was ranked #21 in 2009 (then there was team chemistry issue in 2010, imo), #15 for 2011, and #12 in 2012. I struggle to see our offense as a problem. It looks to be trending in a decent direction by that assessment.

We had a bad game against VPI last year on offense too, except Tevin was able to lead that final scoring drive in the 4th and Vad was not (and last year we gave up points to vpi late rather than early).

If we continue to put in decent performances on D, we really should be able to do fairly well. I disagree with the notion of judging a coach by just the W/L columns.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
According to footballoutsiders S&P+ ratings, our offense was ranked #21 in 2009 (then there was team chemistry issue in 2010, imo), #15 for 2011, and #12 in 2012. I struggle to see our offense as a problem. It looks to be trending in a decent direction by that assessment.

We had a bad game against VPI last year on offense too, except Tevin was able to lead that final scoring drive in the 4th and Vad was not (and last year we gave up points to vpi late rather than early).

If we continue to put in decent performances on D, we really should be able to do fairly well. I disagree with the notion of judging a coach by just the W/L columns.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Are we still overreacting? O'leary would be an improvement.

George O'Leary will never coach at Georgia Tech again. The school would never hire him back even if he wanted to come, and he would never come back even if Tech made an offer.

I think lots of people would agree with you that he is a better coach at this point, but former head coaches just don't return to old schools over a decade later or ever really.

Last edited:

gtdrew

Banned
Are we still overreacting? O'leary would be an improvement.
Yes. A LOT of the kids he used to win games wouldn't get into Georgia Tech now. If we hire a new coach, it has to be someone who either understands the current state of admissions @ georgia tech or is willing to fight to change/lower those requirements for athletes.