Old ACC related - Maryland must be so happy

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
They got a huge payday to move. I think they're ok with the decision
Exactly. Debbie Yow nearly bankrupted their athletics program. They had to cut a bunch of sports. They're also pretty competitive in the B1G in pretty much everything but football. Come from a family of 25+ Maryland alums. I can tell you they don't really care about college football. They do miss their ACC basketball matchups though.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. Debbie Yow nearly bankrupted their athletics program. They had to cut a bunch of sports. They're also pretty competitive in the B1G in pretty much everything but football. Come from a family of 25+ Maryland alums. I can tell you they don't really care about college football. They do miss their ACC basketball matchups though.
Maryland made a huge mistake when they fired Fridge.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
They got a huge payday to move. I think they're ok with the decision

We’ve seen that petty excuse before. “Crying all the way to the bank” eh? What you’re effectively saying is Maryland sold their soul & future for a few bucks that are long since spent & forgotten. That [sarcasrm] ‘wonderful payday’ those Terp-apologists love to point to didn’t suddenly upgrade all their facilities and raise their prominence on the national scene. And saying they needed a “bailout” from the Big 10 sounds even more pathetic.

(Btw both my parents are Maryland alums)

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
We’ve seen that petty excuse before. “Crying all the way to the bank” eh? What you’re effectively saying is Maryland sold their soul & future for a few bucks that are long since spent & forgotten. That [sarcasrm] ‘wonderful payday’ those Terp-apologists love to point to didn’t suddenly upgrade all their facilities and raise their prominence on the national scene. And saying they needed a “bailout” from the Big 10 sounds even more pathetic.

(Btw both my parents are Maryland alums)
They did upgrade all their facilities in basketball and are recruiting at a high level but their coach is too terrible to actually compete for anything better than a sweet 16. and yea they needed the bail out because they pathetically managed their athletics program. They are converting Cole Field House into a state of the art indoor practice facility, but their football tradition is so weak that they can't even keep in state kids home. It's 100% NFL territory and the only college football fans are OSU/PSU transplants or VT fans.

They had no good traditional rivalries in the conference. They had no in state school to be tied to. I don't really care that they left and they don't really either. There's no use crying over it. We both made out better with them gone. They're more relevant in baseball than ever. Won 2 lacrosse titles. Perennial good soccer team although they melted down this year. They're pretty decent in most non revenue sports. It's just football where they are complete garbage but that wasn't much different before outside some sporadic year every few decades. Louisville (as much of a scummy program as they run) has been a bigger boost to the ACC than Maryland would have been.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
They did upgrade all their facilities in basketball and are recruiting at a high level but their coach is too terrible to actually compete for anything better than a sweet 16. and yea they needed the bail out because they pathetically managed their athletics program. They are converting Cole Field House into a state of the art indoor practice facility, but their football tradition is so weak that they can't even keep in state kids home. It's 100% NFL territory and the only college football fans are OSU/PSU transplants or VT fans.

They had no good traditional rivalries in the conference. They had no in state school to be tied to. I don't really care that they left and they don't really either. There's no use crying over it. We both made out better with them gone. They're more relevant in baseball than ever. Won 2 lacrosse titles. Perennial good soccer team although they melted down this year. They're pretty decent in most non revenue sports. It's just football where they are complete garbage but that wasn't much different before outside some sporadic year every few decades. Louisville (as much of a scummy program as they run) has been a bigger boost to the ACC than Maryland would have been.
Maryland sucks every bit as bad as they did from 1956-1972.