OL to go Senior domimant, big +315, powerful +TE's (Stanford 2013) to compete with factories?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
i guess stephen hill (getting drafted), Smelter and waller were **** players?
Oh yeah.. That made us Wide Receiver U, didn't it? Stick with the point of the thread if you can.

The Hill reference actually proves my point. He committed to Tech in 2008 while we still had a reputation for WR. Smelter came to play baseball, not because of a WR reputation at Tech. Waller is a TE in the NFL, not a WR, and not as he was used at Tech. In fact Smelter got the WR starting nod over Waller. An NFL team saw a TE ability that wasn't used by that staff.

Want to try again?

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh yeah.. That made us Wide Receiver U, didn't it? Stick with the point of the thread if you can.

The Hill reference actually proves my point. He committed to Tech in 2008 while we still had a reputation for WR. Smelter came to play baseball, not because of a WR reputation at Tech. Waller is a TE in the NFL, not a WR, and not as he was used at Tech. In fact Smelter got the WR starting nod over Waller. An NFL team saw a TE ability that wasn't used by that staff.

Want to try again?
You made a comment about someone not having any facts to back up their comment. Yet your argument is what could have been. That is an interesting take.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Want to try again?
Waller didn't play behind Smelter. Waller was "x" and Smelter was "z".

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow

Want to try again?
Even in a different offense, Waller wasn’t going to be TE in college. He matured into it and matured into leaving his other issues behind him too.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

Want to try again?
waller didnt play TE here. also, most TE like him in the NFL are just really big WR.

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan
Could have been WR U after Calvin and Bay Bay, but the geniuses on the athletic board decided to hire the coach that had thrown the ball the fewest times in FBS the prior season.
I really don’t give a damn about the missed opportunity of acquiring the moniker “Wide Receiver U”. We needed CPJ in 2008, especially when we started to fall behind in the arms race. Any coach that was on our radar at the time who could have recruited better receivers would not have won as many games as CPJ did. It is almost as if you’d prefer having more notable receivers than winning football. But given your hatred of all things Paul Johnson I’m hardly surprised.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Could have been WR U after Calvin and Bay Bay, but the geniuses on the athletic board decided to hire the coach that had thrown the ball the fewest times in FBS the prior season.
And after 11 years of very bad football, never having a winning record, never beating Georgia, not going to a New Year's bowl, and not winning the ACC, thank goodness the athletic board corrected their mistake by hiring the coach that has gotten GT football back to the elite status.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. Those guys were dumb asses. It sure sucked winning the conference and playing in the orange bowl twice.

I for one am glad we didn’t become WR U and keep winning 7-8 games a year indefinitely (though I’d take it right now).

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Want to try again?
Just stop lol. You're embarrassing yourself.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Want to try again?

Wallers issues here were well documented in the piece they ran on him about his addiction. Waller was the number one receiver going in to 2013 but had trouble staying off suspension for alcohol abuse among other things. Smelter joined us in that off season nd was still learning the system. But you don't seem to live in reality.

Also we used waller as a TE alignmnet often. as well as the tackle in our over formation because of his blocking gifts but again you live in your own little reality.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
i guess stephen hill (getting drafted), Smelter and waller were **** players?
Didn’t we have 5 receivers in the NFL at one point, 4 of whom played for CPJ?

I remember Cutcliffe at Duke being upset that CPJ was putting more receivers in the pros than he was and stepped up his negative recruiting.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn’t we have 5 receivers in the NFL at one point, 4 of whom played for CPJ?

I remember Cutcliffe at Duke being upset that CPJ was putting more receivers in the pros than he was and stepped up his negative recruiting.
Calvin, Cone, Waller, Hill, Smelter (drafted, dunno if he ever played)

also, this is jacketup (geoff's burner acct)
1640308832298.png

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wallers issues here were well documented in the piece they ran on him about his addiction. Waller was the number one receiver going in to 2013 but had trouble staying off suspension for alcohol abuse among other things. Smelter joined us in that off season nd was still learning the system. But you don't seem to live in reality.

Also we used waller as a TE alignmnet often. as well as the tackle in our over formation because of his blocking gifts but again you live in your own little reality.
That Smelter was something else. He walked on the field with the regal indifference of the top tom cat in the hood. He was a guy that other teams would notice immediately and point out saying "That is the guy we have to stop." He just had that look and way about him.