Oklahoma State hires Duke Defensive Coordinator

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
To the original point of the post ... I think Jim Knowles is going to be in for some sticker shock. It is flat-out hard to play defense in the big 12 because of all the good offenses. Four of the top 20 offenses in the nation (including #1 and #2) are in the big 12. So ... it's almost like holding a team to 500 yards of total offense and 38 points is a fantastic defensive outing.

Milwaukee

Banned
To the original point of the post ... I think Jim Knowles is going to be in for some sticker shock. It is flat-out hard to play defense in the big 12 because of all the good offenses. Four of the top 20 offenses in the nation (including #1 and #2) are in the big 12. So ... it's almost like holding a team to 500 yards of total offense and 38 points is a fantastic defensive outing.

On the flip side of that is a lot of people say the offenses in the Big12 are good as a result of the awful defenses. Who knows.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
On the flip side of that is a lot of people say the offenses in the Big12 are good as a result of the awful defenses. Who knows.

Compare OOC and bowl games. OU and OSU, the #1 and #2 ranked offensive teams in the country, did pretty good in their bowl games against stout defenses (UGA and VT).

Still, I think the offensive players coming out of the Big 12 rival that of any conference or are flat-out better. Pop quiz: who was the All-Big 12 QB? Easy. Baker "Hey Kansas, you're still my #1" Mayfield. Who was the All-SEC QB? Anyone? And would you take him over Mayfield? (Hint: he plays for the Tigers ... of Missouri - and no, even SEC homers wouldn't take him over Mayfield).

At the end of the day, the discussion really doesn't matter because both sides can make valid points. I was just saying that this Duke guy is gonna have to get used to his defenses giving up 500 yards and 38 points on average.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
At certain points in time -

“As long as bama has Bryant it will be tough for Tech...” ->

“As long as ugag has Dooley it will be tough for Tech...” ->

“Thank goodness ClemandSon hired Dabo .... I meant to say, as long as Clemson has Dabo it will be tough for Tech...” ->

“As long as Duke (DUKE!) has cutcliffe it will be tough for Tech...” ->

Next

“As long as Ga State ( or KSU or gsu) has Cliff Claven it will be tough for Tech...->

“As long as Elon has that rotation of northwestern North Carolina HSAA coaches of the week rotating game to game as the voluntary HC it will be tough for Tech...”

And so it goes and goes and goes.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A pretty good SEC defense gave up a ton of points and yards in the Rose Bowl, so I am not sure that excuse holds much water.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Compare OOC and bowl games. OU and OSU, the #1 and #2 ranked offensive teams in the country, did pretty good in their bowl games against stout defenses (UGA and VT).

Still, I think the offensive players coming out of the Big 12 rival that of any conference or are flat-out better. Pop quiz: who was the All-Big 12 QB? Easy. Baker "Hey Kansas, you're still my #1" Mayfield. Who was the All-SEC QB? Anyone? And would you take him over Mayfield? (Hint: he plays for the Tigers ... of Missouri - and no, even SEC homers wouldn't take him over Mayfield).

At the end of the day, the discussion really doesn't matter because both sides can make valid points. I was just saying that this Duke guy is gonna have to get used to his defenses giving up 500 yards and 38 points on average.
This seems a reasoned approach, and it raises a similar question for GT: is our new DC in for his own sticker shock in the ACC? I appreciate Appalachian State's reputation and schedule, but is moving up into a Power 5 slot going to be a question mark even for a guy with a strong reputation and resume?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This seems a reasoned approach, and it raises a similar question for GT: is our new DC in for his own sticker shock in the ACC? I appreciate Appalachian State's reputation and schedule, but is moving up into a Power 5 slot going to be a question mark even for a guy with a strong reputation and resume?
He supposedly has better athletes now so that shouldn’t matter.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
OSU 3 years of 10-3 and head coach makes whole sale defensive coaching staff with guys from smaller programs.
Like the marines - improve or leave.

Gundy aiming higher than 10 -3

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Well they have played a pretty strong OOC schedule over the years at App. St., so it’s not like he’s never experienced “ACC Speed” before