Ok lets see who is honest.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I was about to give up on the game when we had the facemask on Miami's final drive, but I always try to watch the full game especially when it's only 1 score. I always hope for an opposing team to screw up victory formation somehow.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't the rule change in 2017 to where you can't grab the jersey?

I didn't realize the rule included the inside of the jersey too but regardless the penalty against Tech was wrong. Our player grabbed the outside of the jersey more on the back shoulder blade area. It was just a really good grip and strong pull back, which caused the ball carrier's upper body to fold back similar to a horse collar.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Who here turned the game off before the end of the game?

I have to say I turned off the TV right before the play Miami fumble. next thing I know I'm getting a load of texts. not sure at my age I would have lived to watch it. Could not get to sleep till 3:30. So happy for the players and coaches.
I left it on the entire time. I was watching in awe as they ran the ball the last 3 times instead of taking a knee.

The running back from UM was devastated and he shouldn't be. That was all the coach's fault 100%.

We stole this one.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure if I’m a glutton for punishment or a die-hard fan, but I almost always watch every play of a game - even when I already know we’ve lost. But this time is a special memory for me. (Long story, feel free to skip).

My 7 year-old son has never really been a football fan, but has recently gotten into playing football with his friends. They all have their favorite NFL teams, and he often asks about which team is my favorite. I always tell him my top 3: “Georgia Tech, whoever’s playing Georgia, and Nebraska, in that order.” (I married into the last one.)

My son has only been to 1 football game: a Nebraska game last year, as my wife’s family has had season tickets since they built the South stands at Memorial Stadium. We go back to one game a year, and last year he was finally old enough to be interested in sitting through an entire game. He’s unfortunately never been to a Tech game, since we no longer have family that lives in the state, and that has often tugged at my heart since I spent most falls in my childhood on the 50 yard line, 3 rows back in the Upper West stands. He tends to show more interest in Nebraska, having been there, but is really lukewarm about college football (& watching football on TV) in general. So he rarely watched Tech.

So I was surprised on Saturday when he came into the kitchen after dinner and wanted to sit down and watch the 2nd half of the game with me. (My wife was at an event, so it was just me, my son, and my 5 year-old daughter, who was busy coloring). So we watched it together.

At one point, I said “what we need here is an interception,” and the next play LaMiles Brooks picked it off in the end zone. A bit later, he said: “Get an interception, Jackets!” And the next play, Jaylon King grabbed Van Dyke’s pass in stride and took it almost to the end zone. My son was ecstatic. It was pretty cool.

As the end of the game came up, I told him it didn’t look good - that there was always a chance, but all Miami had to do was kneel down, and we were done. But we played hard, created opportunities to win, and that was the important thing. We could be proud of the effort we put forward - and when you put out maximum effort, you may not win, but you’ll be ready to take advantage of it if something happens. Always keep playing until the whistle blows. This was some good conversation, as he plays lacrosse, and is taking a lot of this with him to games right now.

And then the unthinkable happened. As the fumble came loose, my son and I were both on our feet, yelling, and cheered even harder when the fumble ruling stood. And then a couple of plays later, we scored and sealed the deal. I’ve never heard my kid cheer so loud, and never seen him be so into a football game.

When my wife got home, he talked the game up to her. And then made us both watch it again with him the next day. He spent all Sunday talking about Georgia Tech.

So yeah, sorry for the long post, but this is a helluva memory for me. This game will stick with me for a long time, not only for the win, but also for the overall experience with my son - who I think is going to start lobbying hard for us to take them to Ireland next year.

Go, Jackets - and thanks for playing with your hair on fire this game. It wasn’t always pretty, but it was the sort of game that teaches a 7 year old boy a lot of important lessons. And maybe even turns him into a football fan. 😉

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
A horse collar is when they grab inside the back of the shoulder pads to bring a player down. You are correct that when Tech got called for it our player grabbed the jersey and not the pads, which is not a horse collar penalty. However, the ref saw the player getting pulled back and just assumed it was a horse collar so they threw an incorrect penalty flag. The problem is these plays aren't reviewable so they couldn't change anything based on a replay.
I know in the NFL if you pull a player down by the back of the jersey where the players name is it is in fact a horse collar penalty. I am not sure what the college rule on that specific type tackle.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I know in the NFL if you pull a player down by the back of the jersey where the players name is it is in fact a horse collar penalty. I am not sure what the college rule on that specific type tackle.
Since there seems to be ongoing confusion around this penalty and whether or not it was called correctly against us, here is the actual rule from the 2021 NCAA Rulebook (italics mine):

"Horse Collar Tackle ARTICLE 15. All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, the nameplate area, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box (Rule 2-34). Note that the tackle box disintegrates when the ball leaves it."

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't turn the game off, but I did turn off any hope of winning. I mean, all they had to do was take a knee. The game was in the bag, and they let it out.
Same here. My brother called and we began trying to find moral victories to feel better about the loss. My brother literally said, why is Miami running the ball? What if they fumbled? And then they did...

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I did not turn it off. Watched it all. My reasoning was that I expected Tech to lose from the beginning and I wanted to just see how hard Tech played and how they carried themselves. Was prepared to have Miami take a knee and then watch our players hold their heads high at the end of the game. When Miami ran the ball my first reaction was anger at their arrogance. When I saw our players swarming the runner I thought “good for them for still fighting.” When the ball came out I said “holy $h!t!” My wife was downstairs asleep (our TV room is upstairs) and I was trying to yell without making any sound 😜
I'm with you....I was jumping around waving my arms making "whisper" screams of joy. My son thought (is positive?) I was lunatic for making him look up from a video game. We won!! We won!! The wife slept on....