Ogletree Wins US Amateur Championship

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Gets to play in the Masters and stay in the crowsnest and play with current masters champion Tiger Woods. I was so nervous for him the last 4 holes I had to stand up to watch it. Can't imagine how nervous his parents must have been.
For as long as I’ve played and followed golf I never realize the Am winner plays with the reigning Masters champ. How cool for Andy.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here is a cool coincidence. The last GT player to win the Am was Kuchar in 1997. He played with the defending champion in the Masters in the spring of 1998. A player named Tiger Woods, who had won his first Masters in 1997. Next spring, Andy will be playing with the defending champion - Tiger Woods!
Thanks.
There are content posts and then there are champion content posts.

JoJaTeck

Georgia Tech Fan
So I know the local rag could care less about us but we just had a player win the freakin US Amateur and no write-up about it? Sad

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Pro golfers were not held in high esteem back in those days. They were often not even allowed in the clubhouse locker rooms and the money was not that great. TV has changed how we perceive the players and most are college grads now.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

On the first full day of his reign as U.S. Amateur champion, Georgia Tech senior Andy Ogletree went to two business classes. This after returning to Atlanta at about 3:15 a.m. Monday from Pinehurst, N.C., where he rallied to win the 36-hole match-play final Sunday.

“When I walked in class, I could hear people whispering, ‘I think that’s the kid that won the U.S. Am,’” Ogletree told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Stuff like that.”