Ogbonda, Gueye and Alson are leaving ...

bos

Helluva Engineer
As someone who watched Usher at Wheeler, I'm really excited to see him in a GT uniform. He is an exciting talented player who is very athletic and can do a lot of things on the floor, although not great at any one skill. He plays with an intensity fans here learn to love. There are so many variables to the statistics as well. With lack of scorers on this team, one could argue Usher would put up better offensive numbers here than he did at USC. Regardless, both players can start and the 3 and 4 respectively. We'll see how their game evolves come next season.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
What I see from the it says discussion is that next year we should have at least 6 ACC capable players in José, Mike, Curtis, Moses, James, and Usher. Maybe Sjolund or Cole develops and we land a transfer that is ACC ready. Seems like we desperately need another ACC capable guard ACC to sub for José and Mike to be really solid next year.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I forgot Moore this early in the morning, thinking he will give solid minutes next year also. First 7 looking good to me next year.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
stats need to be real. what is "per 40" is there a shlitz bull involved?

I always use per 40 numbers to figure what can be expected if a player would receive starters minutes, usually 32 is what I go with.

It’s actually surprisingly accurate. It was the driving factor in my predicting Nwora would break out this year and TJ Gibbs the year before.

Typically numbers are similar while efficiency decreases.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems like we desperately need another ACC capable guard ACC to sub for José and Mike to be really solid next year.

One would think that Phillips could be that rotational guard, given what he did at TN. Heck, he started at the beginning of this season so CJP obviously saw something in him. If he isn't a part of the rotation next year, it will be imperative to get another ball handling/hawking guard before the season as we cannot go far if Alvarado and Devoe have to play almost 40 minutes each game. Heaven forbid one of them get an injury during the season.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes, I would change up 10 games in if Usher doesn't get a waiver to be immediately eligible (assuming he is the better player which he will have to prove)
He can practice with the team now, can play in the overseas trip next summer. They've had to adjust their schemes every year so far based on who is available.
if they really want to play an uptempo 4-out system then Usher is a much better fit at the 4 than Moses. Moses is not a threat outside of 5 ft from the basket. Usher is a better shooter (at all 3 levels) and ballhandler.

Even if he doesn't start I expect Usher to play alot. From a ratings standpoint he is the third highest rated recruit on the team behind Devoe and Banks. (the first part is from 247sports, second from Rivals)
Name Rating Ranking Stars Rivals Rank Rivals Stars
Devoe 0.9819 45 4 51 4
Banks 0.9761 63 4 83 4
Usher 0.9421 104 4 114 4
Jose 0.8993 182 3 130 4
Sjolund 0.8916 211 3 3
Moore 0.8898 218 3 3
Curtis 0.8632 339 3 3
Phillips 0.8512 300 3 3
Cole 0.8273 563 3 3
Wright NA NA 3 3

Ivy makes a good point that Moses has ACC experience while alot of Usher's games are non-Pac12. But on the other hand he was getting consistent minutes as a SO on a team that was much more talented than GT's is. And doing alot of it playing a small ball 4.

For the most part our best players have been our most highly ranked. Jose is obviously our best player right now. Sjolund and Moore are only FR which helps to explain while guys ranked below them play more. Wright was a complete wildcard, someone that no one had really seen. I'm hoping Usher will be a 4th ACC level starter, but then again i thought Phillips would be a rotation player this year so what do I know.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Usher will abslutely start next year. He has athleticism that nobody else on our team has, and you just can't teach that. The difference between him and Moses, who is also very athletic, is that Usher is way more coordinated and he knows how to use his body.

bos

Helluva Engineer
I agree. This is the lineup that I see come ACC play.

PG: Jose Alvarado, Shembari Phillips
SG: Michael Devoe, Curtis Haywood II
SF: Kristian Sjolund, Khalid Moore
PF: Jordan Usher, Moses Wright, David Didenko
C: James Banks III, Evan Cole

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Have to think there’s at least a decent chance of Usher getting a waiver, right? Isn’t he the same situation as Banks, a guy transferring home.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
One would think that Phillips could be that rotational guard, given what he did at TN. Heck, he started at the beginning of this season so CJP obviously saw something in him. If he isn't a part of the rotation next year, it will be imperative to get another ball handling/hawking guard before the season as we cannot go far if Alvarado and Devoe have to play almost 40 minutes each game. Heaven forbid one of them get an injury during the season.

I’m not sure why, but based on this season, the ship may have sailed for Phillips. Maybe something will change in the offseason. It’s a shame, because he is the most athletic guard on the team.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's crazy. As good as we were shooting and defending, it shouldn't have been close. Yet TOs and giving up off rebs in the first and missing FTs in the 2nd kept them in.

Gritty win. Giving up the Laetner out of bounds play was crazy.

Before Banks' last FT, cjp wanted a TO but couldn't get it called. I suspect he wanted the brick from jb3