Offseason Workouts - Club 1010

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
These are hype reps. They're doing them for us to be hype, but they don't count yet.

It's definitely a good sign though. I'm sure even doing 30 non official reps is a sign of some serious gains

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Impressive feat. However, only about 10 would have counted at the combine. Not full extension.

I was gonna mention the form, but that’s coming from someone who is a former (and still sometimes) competitive power lifter. So my requirements are much different than average lifts. But it’s still impressive.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and the reps are more like what Camp did than what Lee did. Either he has alligator arms, or he wasn't fully extending, which they won't count (or maybe they will).

Different angle so it's hard to measure more precisely, but my eye doesn't really appreciate a difference here:

I also don't lift, so I may not be seeing something that someone with more relevant experience can.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Different angle so it's hard to measure more precisely, but my eye doesn't really appreciate a difference here:

I also don't lift, so I may not be seeing something that someone with more relevant experience can.

Well what I’m referring to is the form and technique required in a true lifting competition vs these rep type deals. A competition lift has to have a true pause of motion at the bottom, and a true controlled, held lockout at the top. There’s a judge for each of those areas of the lift, and a violation on either will get you a fault. It’s to make sure you actually control the weight and not use any momentum or “bounce” off of your chest, like you do with so many gym lifters and even in some of these rep competitions. It’s just a difference in focus. What’s focused on here is more muscle endurance. Interesting note, in the beginning of my powerlifting career, I trained with a 58 year old guy that could do 70+ controlled reps of 225 lbs. Took me several years to be able to get close to him on that, but I was within a few pounds of him on 1RM. It’s very impressive to see a guy that age be able to rep 225 with good form for that many reps.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Well what I’m referring to is the form and technique required in a true lifting competition vs these rep type deals. A competition lift has to have a true pause of motion at the bottom, and a true controlled, held lockout at the top. There’s a judge for each of those areas of the lift, and a violation on either will get you a fault. It’s to make sure you actually control the weight and not use any momentum or “bounce” off of your chest, like you do with so many gym lifters and even in some of these rep competitions. It’s just a difference in focus. What’s focused on here is more muscle endurance. Interesting note, in the beginning of my powerlifting career, I trained with a 58 year old guy that could do 70+ controlled reps of 225 lbs. Took me several years to be able to get close to him on that, but I was within a few pounds of him on 1RM. It’s very impressive to see a guy that age be able to rep 225 with good form for that many reps.

Yeah I'm totally aware that he didn't have proper form and that matters quite a bit. The comparison though was combine lifts which, as shown in the video, don't look anywhere near proper either or different to me than what Jahaziel was doing. But you obviously know more about lifting, so I'm curious if you think the quality of rep in Paea's combine video looks different than Jahaziel's.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah I'm totally aware that he didn't have proper form and that matters quite a bit. The comparison though was combine lifts which, as shown in the video, don't look anywhere near proper either or different to me than what Jahaziel was doing. But you obviously know more about lifting, so I'm curious if you think the quality of rep in Paea's combine video looks different than Jahaziel's.

I don’t really like the looks of “high rep” form when I see it, period. But in terms of comparison, I don’t really see any noticeable difference, no.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Is lifting the bar 10" off your chest considered a rep?

Depends on whether or not that locks your elbows out...depends on length of your arms, as stated above. Lol. Locked elbows simultaneously (can’t lock out one, then the other) on a competition lift denotes a completed rep.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

I’m sorry, I actually referenced the wrong video. In referencing Jahaziel, I was actually looking up and watching Jalen Camp’s reps. So yes, I do see a difference in Lee’s and Paea’s reps. I’d like to see Jahaziel’s reps more controlled. He appears to be letting the bar hit his chest pretty hard (using momentum/getting “bounce”). The first 2-3 inches off of your chest are typically the hardest part of the movement, that’s why people bounce. Once you can get it higher than that, your (stronger) triceps start to take over. Camp’s and Paea’s movements have much more control at the bottom of the movement. If I were “grading” strength, I’d consider Camp a bit stronger than Lee because of that.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
College conditioning is no joke.

From: https://ramblinwreck.com/tgw-springing-into-action/

Collins said. “Jalen Huff has already put on 18 pounds since he’s been here for two months. He was able to bench press 185 pounds two times when he got here in January. He’s now benching 225 pounds seven times. So getting those guys here early, that’s beneficial.”

alagold

Helluva Engineer
College conditioning is no joke.

From: https://ramblinwreck.com/tgw-springing-into-action/

Collins said. “Jalen Huff has already put on 18 pounds since he’s been here for two months. He was able to bench press 185 pounds two times when he got here in January. He’s now benching 225 pounds seven times. So getting those guys here early, that’s beneficial.”
wow, that is almost hard to believe.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s kind of shocking to me that an elite level D1 college football player could only rep 185lbs twice...what kind of high school program was he on?? Glad to see him get that up pretty significantly though.
This does not shock me at all for a high school db. If he were a LB or DL I would be surprised.