UNC DC Geoff Collins

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

Not to beat a dead horse but…

It’s like watching a horror movie where UNC just opened the door that the killer is obviously hiding behind. We the audience know exactly what’s about to happen.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck

It’s like watching a horror movie where UNC just opened the door that the killer is obviously hiding behind. We the audience know exactly what’s about to happen.
Nah let’s beat it.
It’s just too funny to think they looked at Notre Dame and UGA beating us by a combined 100 points and said - yeah, that’s our guy

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Oh wow...bless their hearts. Lulz

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'll be in the minority but I think Collins will be okay as a DC again. He is just NOT a HC. He should never be allowed to be a HC again. With talent he might find success again as a DC.

minorityoption

Georgia Tech Fan
I'll be in the minority but I think Collins will be okay as a DC again. He is just NOT a HC. He should never be allowed to be a HC again. With talent he might find success again as a DC.
I had the same thought. He’s shown to be a part of solid defenses when given talent and no other responsibilities.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

I was going to.post this. I live in Chapel Hill and saw this in the newspaper. I just had to chuckle. I have already warned my tar heel buddies. They don't care as long as they win.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I had the same thought. He’s shown to be a part of solid defenses when given talent and no other responsibilities.
He just cannot handle being a leader. He needs to be given direction and to work within that confinement. He can be a good to great DC but has zero management skills that translate to being a HC.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Same here. He has proven in the past to be a good DC at a pretty high level. Not sure why people think that’s not relevant experience. As for looking at our defense and thinking he was still good enough for UNC… our defense was still pretty bad without him here. Bad enough that we now have nearly a full boat of new defensive coaches. So I can understand putting together that fact and that he had success before as a DC and thinking maybe the defensive woes here weren’t completely his fault (yes I do put the blame at his feet because he hired most of the coaches and recruited the players).

So yeah, I could see him having success at UNC as their DC. Hope not, though.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Same here. He has proven in the past to be a good DC at a pretty high level. Not sure why people think that’s not relevant experience. As for looking at our defense and thinking he was still good enough for UNC… our defense was still pretty bad without him here. Bad enough that we now have nearly a full boat of new defensive coaches. So I can understand putting together that fact and that he had success before as a DC and thinking maybe the defensive woes here weren’t completely his fault (yes I do put the blame at his feet because he hired most of the coaches and recruited the players).

So yeah, I could see him having success at UNC as their DC. Hope not, though.
Most of the defenses he coordinated "at a pretty high level" were already at that level before he showed up, and he was only there a year or two. While our defenses were generally not good under CPJ, Collins came in and as self-appointed defensive guru, made them worse. We were notoriously bad at giving up a 1st on "Money Down".

UNC's defense was actually worse than Tech's last year, so it shouldn't take much to improve them, but they also aren't going to be nearly as good on offense with Maye and Walker gone, so the defense could be on the field even more. And I don't see where Collins has ever taken a bad defense and made it elite.

Also the last DC at UNC, Chizik, was also known as a strong defensive guy and had even been DC at UNC before improving an atrocious defense, but unlike Collins, he had actually WON a Broyles Award, won a natty as a DC, and won a natty as a HC, and helped Auburn go undefeated in 2004.

Now, perhaps Collins is better than Chizik these days and can help improve UNC. But I wouldn't count on it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we run the ball on them at will, i’m talking about crush all your dreams and hopes level of rushing yards here

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Hypothetically…what if the gaggers wanted him after Kirby walks off into the sunset? Should that be allowed?

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

except in this case, we're sorta figuring the main character deserves exactly what's coming.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Most of the defenses he coordinated "at a pretty high level" were already at that level before he showed up, and he was only there a year or two. While our defenses were generally not good under CPJ, Collins came in and as self-appointed defensive guru, made them worse. We were notoriously bad at giving up a 1st on "Money Down".

UNC's defense was actually worse than Tech's last year, so it shouldn't take much to improve them, but they also aren't going to be nearly as good on offense with Maye and Walker gone, so the defense could be on the field even more. And I don't see where Collins has ever taken a bad defense and made it elite.

Also the last DC at UNC, Chizik, was also known as a strong defensive guy and had even been DC at UNC before improving an atrocious defense, but unlike Collins, he had actually WON a Broyles Award, won a natty as a DC, and won a natty as a HC, and helped Auburn go undefeated in 2004.

Now, perhaps Collins is better than Chizik these days and can help improve UNC. But I wouldn't count on it.
I assumed the “he had talent” and “they were good already” would come out. Whatever makes you happy.

As for what he’ll do at UNC I have no idea. I hope he fails miserably and wouldn’t be surprised if he did but I also wouldn’t be shocked if he did well. I’m not going to throw out some things he did that were positive because I can’t stand him and think he was one of the worst head coaches I’ve ever seen at any level.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I hope he fails miserably. He turned the team I love into a smoking ruin and collected $ millions for his crimes. I am a bitter, vengeful, and unforgiving old fart who desires to see the humiliation of this snake 🐍 oil fraud. And I didn’t have any use for UNCheat to begin with.
I guess I’m bitter, vengeful, and an unforgiving old fart with you then :gt:;)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I assumed the “he had talent” and “they were good already” would come out. Whatever makes you happy.

As for what he’ll do at UNC I have no idea. I hope he fails miserably and wouldn’t be surprised if he did but I also wouldn’t be shocked if he did well. I’m not going to throw out some things he did that were positive because I can’t stand him and think he was one of the worst head coaches I’ve ever seen at any level.
I just don't think getting handed the keys to a Ferrari automatically makes you a good driver.