Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
It's clear to me that no matter what position posters present to you, you just want to push your narrative and trying to poke holes in everyones view. How does this help having a constructive conversation about posters support of Brent vs who you would have hired.

News flash buddy, no one knows how anyone would have turned out, and I haven't seen a single post from you on a list of coaches that would have been better than BK and why. For me, this is the only post i will reply to directly to you because you dont hold conversations, just constant attacks. Its a bare to listen to, and why there is an "ignore" feature.

Right now as the head football coach, Brent Key's record is 0-0, and if someone else had been hired their record would be the same. I know this, we're not going to have attrition to the level we would have saw with Willie or any other coach besides maybe Deion. The kids fight hard for CBK and we saw that in many games during his time as the IHC. CBK also beat two Top 25 teams, let me ask you what was Collins record against Top 25 teams (1-10), Brent is (2-1) with the one loss being UGA, no one is dinging him for that.

The fact is Brent took over a team that was under performing and made us a football team that opponents really had to prepare for, and gave us our highest win percentage since Johnson, thats REAL progress. I can't wait to see what else he can do with a full year as the head man. The sky is the limit. Please stop being so rash, and brighten up! Theres A LOT to look forward to.
LOL!

What?

I am responding to a font who stated unequivocally that no one could be reasonably confident that any other coach would be better.

Read that slowly if you need to

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't responding to you, but what does it matter? You're just gonna continue arguing anyways. I think you've made your position clear. EVERYBODY knows how you feel.
You responded to a post directed at me. I think that is relevant enough for me to respond. Especially since it is clear that are arguing against a point that you think I am making, but am actually not making.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately it's not a turning it off and on thing.

I'm a sidewalk fan mostly because my dad went there and was a huge fan and we bonded over watching GT football and basketball growing up. It was literally the best memories I have growing up. Plan was to go there but life happened and ended up elsewhere. Didn't really change anything. Watched every game and called him every half time and after the game to discuss. Unfortunately he died so that reason is gone. Didn't really change things at first. Still loved watching GT games and it helped me get through it. The last 4 years I just accepted as the transition issues that we were told to expect way back when Johnson was first hired, and held on hope that once we got through it and made the next hire I'd be excited again.

And we just decided to promote from within largely because he's a 'tech guy'. However, my view of what it means to be a 'tech guy' probably differs from most here. Most of my experience with 'tech guys' are they are full of themselves and think just because they went to GT it means they are instantly good at whatever they do. If something goes wrong, it must be because someone else messed up. And this hire epitomizes that attitude. No HC experience? No problem. He's a GT guy. So he's obviously good enough naturally. His one year of experience as OC was horrible. Obviously not his fault. Terrible OL the past 4 years he was OL coach here? Obviously not because of him. Yeah, the players love him, he bleeds white and gold, would run through a brick wall, and a bunch of other superficial rara nonsense (ironic considering the depiction of Collins). Great if you're one of those super believers in the 'tech guy' thing. Not so much if you aren't. And now there isn't even the hope that the next time we make a coaching change I'll have something to look forward to. Just got burned with that belief. Realistically I'll probably only be interested in the next BBall hire but I have no reason to believe we won't go cheap there as well.

So it's not really a turning it off. Just slowly losing interest. And that means there really isn't a turning it back on either.

But hey, apparently a lot of guys got who they wanted.
This hit really close to me. My dad isn’t an alum but is a sidewalk fan, and his two sons became GT alumni. We also bonded over GT sports throughout my childhood. I’m sorry to hear about your dad. I really hope you don’t lose interest too much (mostly because of the connection with your dad and how I’m sure it helps you cope) and continue to offer your valuable insights.

For the record, I don’t think you’re wrong about your assessment of Tech guys. That being said, Key being a Tech guy isn’t one of the top three reasons we hired him (financial, on-field results, team support are probably the top three). And we never really gave him the benefit of the doubt while the OL was struggling for three years becusse he’s an alum. I don’t recall anyone over the last few years saying, “He’s a Tech Man, he must be getting held back by CGC. One of us can’t be this bad.” until CBK started winning meaningful games as IHC and the OL improved. I’m sure him being a Tech guy helped in the hiring process and people are fans he’s a fellow alum. But I’m not sure there’s many of us who think him being an alum moved the needle any more than what he showed over the past two months.

slugboy

Staff member
Who is complaining? I am countering an argument that one font said that no one could be reasonably confident that that any coach would be better. Yes, one could be reasonably confident other coaches would be better. We did not hire them. We hired Key. He is our coach and I support him unconditionally even if I was slightly less confident in the hire.

By the way, saying you are acting like... is not the same as saying you said...

Personally, I think you believe any comment that is not 100% supportive of Key is somehow an absolutely negative criticism.
I think Chadwell could have been better, but not with his defensive staff.
I think Fritz was kind of a wash—great rebuild history, but big discontinuity.
I think that a lot of the other coaching options would have been worse than Key.

I think some of the search committee calculus was “we’re expending a lot of effort to hire an outside coach, and all things considered they aren’t a massive improvement over Key, and might not be an improvement at all; why are we doing this?”. There was doubt to how Chadwell would turn out (and I was a Chadwell fan).

Every coach has a gap. Even though Key is an offensive coach, he has a gap on offense to fix now. I think he will fix that gap if Batt can find the money.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
And I disagree. I think the last 8 games says a lot of good things about the defensive coaching staff but little tangible about Key (or anyone on the offense really). To me, that people looked at the last 8 games and think that makes him qualified is because of the "tech guy" mentality. But I'm not going to convince you or anyone else here otherwise.
Should have read this before my latest response to you but meant it about you hopefully not losing interest too much!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And I disagree. I think the last 8 games says a lot of good things about the defensive coaching staff but little tangible about Key (or anyone on the offense really). To me, that people looked at the last 8 games and think that makes him qualified is because of the "tech guy" mentality. But I'm not going to convince you or anyone else here otherwise.

As a fellow sidewalk fan, I can understand a lot of where you are coming from. To me, I don't see Key being a Tech guy as a selling point for why we hired him. It's just extra gravy.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I've watched the video clip of ADJB's announcement to the team several times. I've bookmarked it and will watch it again many times in the days to come.

But here's my question to one and all: What would the response of the players have been had any other coach walked into that room?

Polite applause?

I wonder how many guys thinking about the portal changed their minds in those few moments. Right now, the boys believe they can take on the world and that CBK is someone they're willing to follow into battle. He's loyal to them, and they're gonna be loyal to him. We'll need that kind of esprit de corps in the upcoming seasons because the road ahead will be difficult.

A final thought or two:

For those who understand what just happened, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't get it, no explanation is possible.

For my part, I'm done with these negative discussions and arguments. The die is cast - a job well done, IMO - and from now on, I'm only interested in threads that involve the positive steps being taken to BUILD the program - staff changes, recruiting, and fund-raising, etc.

As for the endless sniping from the losers, whiners and haters, I'm out.

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Great article from Shultz at the Athletic. It's paywalled, so you have to have a subscription, but an Athletic subscription is worth it.

https://theathletic.com/3951009/2022/11/29/brent-key-georgia-tech-coach/?source=user_shared_article
Thanks; just read it. One takeaway that I hadn't heard yet - Shultz thinks Key got a five-year contract. If true, that's another step in the right direction. I don't think it would be realistic to expect anything shorter, and we avoided a seven-year handcuff.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Thanks; just read it. One takeaway that I hadn't heard yet - Shultz thinks Key got a five-year contract. If true, that's another step in the right direction. I don't think it would be realistic to expect anything shorter, and we avoided a seven-year handcuff.

Saw that about the 5 year contract. I expect Ken S will have something up in the next couple of days about the details of the new contract.

As for length, 5 years is perfect. Let's recruits know you are committed but doesn't commit us to an unreasonable amount of time. If we do well under Key, we will have to extend in two years but that's a bridge we can cross later.