Official: BDS at 100% capacity in 2021

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is interesting. My daughter will be a freshman at Loyola University - Maryland in the fall and she has to be fully vaccinated to be able to be on campus. I wonder what Georgia Tech's policy will be. LUM is a private school and GT is a [semi-]public school.

Deleted member 2897

This is interesting. My daughter will be a freshman at Loyola University - Maryland in the fall and she has to be fully vaccinated to be able to be on campus. I wonder what Georgia Tech's policy will be. LUM is a private school and GT is a [semi-]public school.

I don't think anybody needs to worry about it yet. I just looked and we're up to 265 million shots delivered. More and more states every day are passing 70% vaccinated. And when you add people who have immunity from having had covid, we're in herd immunity phase in more and more areas of the country. Every single day is a 20% decrease in new cases from the prior week. The trends downward are strong. The CDC is predicting a spike right now, but I just don't see it in the data - we're outrunning it in vaccinations. But at any rate, in another month we'll see if the cases have continued to collapse or not. I think any college that's worried about it (they have a unique environment with so many people in such close proximity...exchanging bodily fluids LOLOLOL) will have plenty of time to set an immunization policy in another month or two if they feel they need it. Either way, it will be great to hear that full stadium roar again and give our guys that extra boost of energy and support.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
I could maybe see students being required to be vaccinated to enroll, but zero chance they will require fans to be

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Many colleges are going that direction, private and public. I don't think there are any legal issues to doing it. I imagine the vaccination rate would be extremely high at GT regardless.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't a lot of schools already require Hepatitis B, Meningitis, and/or other vaccines? COVID can just be rolled into that

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anybody needs to worry about it yet. I just looked and we're up to 265 million shots delivered. More and more states every day are passing 70% vaccinated. And when you add people who have immunity from having had covid, we're in herd immunity phase in more and more areas of the country. Every single day is a 20% decrease in new cases from the prior week. The trends downward are strong. The CDC is predicting a spike right now, but I just don't see it in the data - we're outrunning it in vaccinations. But at any rate, in another month we'll see if the cases have continued to collapse or not. I think any college that's worried about it (they have a unique environment with so many people in such close proximity...exchanging bodily fluids LOLOLOL) will have plenty of time to set an immunization policy in another month or two if they feel they need it. Either way, it will be great to hear that full stadium roar again and give our guys that extra boost of energy and support.
I still think it will be interesting what policies are set in place. NOT FUNNY! My daughter is not allowed to do that!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Don't a lot of schools already require Hepatitis B, Meningitis, and/or other vaccines? COVID can just be rolled into that
I expected it to be legally tested somewhere. The big difference here being that the COVID-19 vaccines are under emergency authorization, so from a legal standpoint as to a risk category, there is a difference. I'm not sure if any emergency use vaccine has had a legal test applied to it. Possibly back in the day with the 1976 H1N1 pandemic, although I'm not sure whether the vaccine programs then were ever mandatory. It's certainly the kind of history that would be the substance of legal arguments against mandating such a vaccine.

From a public health standpoint, there is a lot more compelling reason to mandate COVID-19 vaccination than the risks of some of the other diseases. Of course, a large reason why other diseases aren't such a public health risk is because vaccine immunity is so high. That said, the calculus is quite different as the risks of unvaccinated youth apply more to the youth being vectors for community spread rather than the risk of the illness to the youth themselves. Not that this is unworthy of consideration, particularly when looking at things outside of risk of death. That part is not too terribly different than other mandatory vaccines, as really the school isn't as much interested in forcing someone to protect themselves but rather that a group of unvaccinated individuals presents a significant risk of outbreak. College campuses are much more fertile breeding grounds for disease than most community settings. Still, they are there principally worried about the risk posed by unvaccinated individuals to other students rather than a greater community, so it is a bit different. I'm not certain how faculty/staff would play in here, although obviously those individuals have means to protect themselves through vaccination, PPE, virtual work if individually high risk, etc. Overall, trying to quantify the risk is a hazardous activity. I'm not going to engage in it except to provide some general principles and correct overt errors posted in response. The CDC, academic epidemiology departments, etc. can do the detail work and I'll refer to their analysis. Not that I think they wouldn't be potentially too conservative in a risk assessment or otherwise flawed, but I'm not really interested in some lay analysis that attempts to debunk their findings. Whether or not you or I could find fault in that analysis doesn't really mean anything as to whether that fault exists.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Now that's it's official, who wants to open up their tailgate to a late 40's dad and his 12-year-old son as first-time season ticket holders? We'll be coming into town as many times as possible from the Charleston, SC area.

Get in touch with @Supersizethatorder-mutt. Would love to meet you at our tailgate.

I'm a mid 40's dad that drives in from North Augusta, SC with one of my kids in tow as well.. LOL

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I had to have 5 MMR vaccines to step foot on campus. I'm sure they can require a covid vaccine.

Now that's it's official, who wants to open up their tailgate to a late 40's dad and his 12-year-old son as first-time season ticket holders? We'll be coming into town as many times as possible from the Charleston, SC area.
As @Augusta_Jacket posted, you would be more than welcome to join our group. We are all pretty low-key people, and both @Augusta_Jacket and another guy from the Augusta area bring their kids with them. A married couple from Gainesville heads it up. We have had to relocate several times over the past 5 years, but last year (and I assume this coming year) we will meet in a parking lot on 3rd Street between W P'Tree and P'Tree. Unless there is something going on at the Fox Theater, they usually charge 5 to 10 bucks. You can book it in advance, and I assume things will open up in June or July, at least for the early games. Let me know if this sounds appealing to you, and we can stay in touch over the next few months. If there's anything you would like to know about our group, feel free to ask.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I would be elated to see all home games this season at 100% capacity, but somehow I don't see that happening.

Scubapro

Banned
As @Augusta_Jacket posted, you would be more than welcome to join our group. We are all pretty low-key people, and both @Augusta_Jacket and another guy from the Augusta area bring their kids with them. A married couple from Gainesville heads it up. We have had to relocate several times over the past 5 years, but last year (and I assume this coming year) we will meet in a parking lot on 3rd Street between W P'Tree and P'Tree. Unless there is something going on at the Fox Theater, they usually charge 5 to 10 bucks. You can book it in advance, and I assume things will open up in June or July, at least for the early games. Let me know if this sounds appealing to you, and we can stay in touch over the next few months. If there's anything you would like to know about our group, feel free to ask.
Yep...SuperSize and Augusta are good folks. I highly recommend them. I hope to see you there!!
SuperSize...are you making those blondie brownies again? :)