Offensive Line Development

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Recently, while discussing the offensive red shirts, there was a comment about the kids starting at Center and then progressing out from there. I've heard this many times about how our o-Line works. I was a DB when I played, so I don't get this. Can someone who understands line play explain this to me. I'm not sure if they're saying that Center is the toughest position in this line or Tackle. Thanks in advance.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Center usually calls the blocking rules. It takes a pretty heady ball player to snap and block. Centers need a lot more mobility than most lineman and can be a tad smaller.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Recently, while discussing the offensive red shirts, there was a comment about the kids starting at Center and then progressing out from there. I've heard this many times about how our o-Line works. I was a DB when I played, so I don't get this. Can someone who understands line play explain this to me. I'm not sure if they're saying that Center is the toughest position in this line or Tackle. Thanks in advance.
I played both lines in high school, and I personally don't understand this strategy. My guess is that they are trying to make the lineman interchangeable since we struggle to consistently field a two deep. I personally am a fan of sticking to one position because it allows players to get better at the specifics. For example, tackles pass blocking footwork is different than the other positions, combining the positions and cross training them can screw up the footwork at both positions. So instead of having a good gaurd or tackle, you have one who is mediocre at both. That's just my take on it.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I know of center and guards being cross trained
I know of guards and tackles
But never center and tackles

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
e="bat_082994, post: 21630, member: 170"]Barrett Jones when he played for Bama[/quote]
That's interesting because he doesn't appear to have the athleticism to play OT.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't talking about cross-training, although that's a different point that's interesting in it's own.

What I've heard is that in this system, the OL coachs start all linemen out at Center and then, depending on their ability, progress outward. I can take that two ways: Center is the hardest position in this scheme to play and as the guys don't play as well, they gravitate outwards until they settle into a position (this is consistent with the Center being the QB of the line, calling the signals, needing to be the headiest one there) or it could also mean that Center has the easiest blocking assignments and therefore, as the guys show greater ability, they gravitate outward, towards more difficult blocking assignments. Those are the two things that make sense to me, but I really don't know if any of this is true, which is why I asked to question to begin with.

I would think that we would recruit specific kids to specific parts of the line, like other schools do. I believe in our scheme, OT's tend to be smaller than OG's and that we pull Tackles often. I would think the bigger kids, like Devine, would be earmarked for OG and that some kids would move as their body size and mobility changed. Thoughts?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty Tech recruits OLinemen for specific positions too. Chris Griffin was recruited as a OT for example.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty Tech recruits OLinemen for specific positions too. Chris Griffin was recruited as a OT for example.

You're missing the point. The OP thinks he knows what happens at Tech and is pretty sure that it's much worse than what he thinks happens at other schools.

Barrett Jones when he played for Bama

As time went by Saban recruited better players for those other positions, especially at the Tackle positions, so when that happens you move the lesser talented player inside to OG or to Center, generally speaking OTs have to be better athletes, that's what happened to Jones at Bama.

Not a good idea to bring up Bama when talking about GT FB, what they do there doesn't really relate to what we do here.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You're missing the point. The OP thinks he knows what happens at Tech and is pretty sure that it's much worse than what he thinks happens at other schools.
I'm not really sure how you got that from what I wrote.

I don't know anything. OL is something I can't even begin to judge. I'm asking some of those that know better what our coaches mean when they say they start the linemen at Center and move outward from there.

slugboy

Staff member

I don't know anything. OL is something I can't even begin to judge. I'm asking some of those that know better what our coaches mean when they say they start the linemen at Center and move outward from there.

Maybe that centers are usually one of the smaller players on the OL, and they can move them out as they put on muscle?

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Before speculating what they mean by that statement is there any proof of them ever actually saying that? I've never heard it before from any of the coaches.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Center is the most demanding OL position on this offense: requires you to ID defensive front and make checks based on that on every play, requires you to have the athleticism to block linebackers and safeties but also the strength and footwork to take on DTs and NTs one on one...and all of this while focusing on getting a good snap to your QB.

You start everyone there to make them figure out what is going on with the wchemes

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow

exactly. i've never heard of every incoming lineman defaulting to center then being moved out from there. for example, no way would devine play center. not a position suited for him at all. i think we put kids in the best position for them to be successful. unfortunately, with so many injuries and very little depth, some guys have had to move around much more than we would like. others have had to play who usually wouldn't sniff the field at this point in their careers except in garbage time.

ready for freddie burden to come on strong after being out this year. he can be a good one.

pckl300

Georgia Tech Fan
Before speculating what they mean by that statement is there any proof of them ever actually saying that? I've never heard it before from any of the coaches.

It was something that PJ had said a long time ago, though I can't remember whether it was in the AJC or on the radio. But, I definitely remember him saying it in one fashion or another.