Film Study Offensive cut ups vs. UNC

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
DE looks to be doing the same thing between the 1st adn 2nd play. He squeezes the tackle to close the gap while keeping shoulders square. His position looks similar. It looked like if he kept it, it would have been a similar result as the first play. I'm sure hes reading the DE as a whole. But if the DE shoulders to the RB that is a keep all day. Now on the 3rd play, DE squeezes down but gets a little further up field and the OL got great push causing a lane to open up next to the DE.
Yeah but on the first play look how far he squeezes down. He's inside the BST. I think that's bad gap responsibility. The 2nd play he stays outside the BST, (and the QB) until after the handoff is made.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah but on the first play look how far he squeezes down. He's inside the BST. I think that's bad gap responsibility. The 2nd play he stays outside the BST, (and the QB) until after the handoff is made.

Very true he does squeeze down a little much on the first play. 2nd play I would like JGs odds of getting outside of him for a larger gain than the give did. With him squeezing down on the play I was always under the impression that is a keep. Upfield its a give. Squeezing the gap down its a keep. DE does play it better the second play but I still think in a foot race outside he picks up 5 yds at a min.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Very true he does squeeze down a little much on the first play. 2nd play I would like JGs odds of getting outside of him for a larger gain than the give did. With him squeezing down on the play I was always under the impression that is a keep. Upfield its a give. Squeezing the gap down its a keep. DE does play it better the second play but I still think in a foot race outside he picks up 5 yds at a min.

So there are like 2 main ways to defend read option, "scrape exchange" and "squat and plug". (and of course new stuff is always being tried)

The basic ideas is that as the defense, you choose what the read is going to be, so you might as well decide BEFOREHAND what the read is going to be, and then be able to plan for it.

So with scrape exchange, the backside end attacks the keep read (the rb), and forces a "keep" read. then the backer scrapes off the DE's butt and is assigned to seek and destroy the QB.

With Squat and Plug, the backside end basically just sits down. The idea here is to force the "give" read, and both linebackers (we're assuming a 4-2 6 man box) just fly up into their run fits. This is a"spill and kill" scheme, where you plug up all the gaps and force the back to bounce it and hope that your late arriving outside guys can clean up.

I personally prefer Squat and Plug, because you actually get a 1.5 men out of that squatting DE, because after he's SURE of the give read, he can squeeze down and be in play for the cutback.

On play 1 above, I think the DE just screwed the pooch by not forcing the "give" read. His job is to force give there, because everybody else on the defense is planning on the read being "give".

N.B. there are a million ways to defend it, these are two of the most popular, and there are a million variations/stunts/etc on both you can use.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought this was the 2nd consecutive week where we had a solid gameplan. I thought we had something with the read option that CDP could’ve called a little bit more. UNC front alignment made the blocking execution a bit easier for us to know who and where to block. This weeks reinforces what my guy Sean Bedford thoughts after sitting with CBK. We are close, but too often we have 9/10 doing the right thing instead of all 11. As the yr progresses, hopefully we’ll see all 11 on the same page:

RUN GAME:

Read option:
I thought this is something we should’ve ran more of. Freezing the option guy created a natural hole and that allowed to finally get to the 2nd level creating favorable 1on1s in the open field

giphy.gif

Good read here. Option guy goes inside, Quinney seals the PSLB and we’re off to the races. Late slide gets us a no call here

giphy.gif

Bad read by James. Exact same results as above but he decides to give. I like him 1on1 with the WLB for a 1st down

giphy.gif

Good read. Quinney was able to get up and seal both ILB to allow the big gain. Now the RB needs to get his head up. Should’ve probably taken this tk the sideline after getting to the 2nd level

Inside/Outside Zone

giphy.gif

Coach P has done a decent job stretching out defenses horizontally with formations in effort to get favorable number counts in the box. Here is well blocked inside zone. One of the few games our OL has been to get to get to the 2nd level

giphy.gif

Here is outside zone. You can tell bc it appears the OL is running to the sideline. Looked to be blocked pretty decent. I believe this was read was wrong by the RB partially bc Quinney getting turned inside and making it appear as if the edge is set. The RB probably should’ve stayed outside but i understand what he sees.

QB Counter:
giphy.gif

This is 2 consecutive weeks where James away from his lead blocker. Play is designed and actually executed to hit in the C gap but Graham decides to take his talents to the A (Lol pun intended)

Passing Game:

giphy.gif

The Switch routes/concept was a staple of the TO and very good vs. UNC. We missed one but scored TDs off of this route combo.

Verticals (switch)

giphy.gif

Unlike the Switch, Verticals has been very unkind to us. It either has been INT or a missed wide open WR simply bc we are locked onto the WR up the hash. This killed the momentum we were picking up. This should’ve been thrown to the Rb on the drag or TE on the other hash

Sticks
giphy.gif

Something i thought we would see more of to get our QBs in a rhythm with our TEs. Graham fire this in there vs. man coverage for a 1st down

Bench
giphy.gif

Out routes by the inside receivers and corners by the WR. Nice catch & run Sanders. Nice read by James

This is why James shouldve been our QB from day 1!!

giphy.gif

NFL level poise and arm strength. Carter has to make this play

Controversy?
giphy.gif

Some say he should’ve fought for the 1st down and others believe he was getting no closer than 2-3yds the sticks with a spy and 2 other defenders in pursuit. If he had another half second in the pocket he may have found that WIDE OPEN TE on the corner route

All in all, solid game and a lot to build on. Here is to hoping we get all 11 on the same page and beat Duke. I hope this helps
First of all, thank you for doing this breakdown. I really don't know a lot about football in general, but I had come to understand the previous offensive system well enough to appreciate what we were trying to accomplish. I realize that the more I understand about what we are trying to accomplish, the less frustrated I will be with less than optimal results.

On your outside zone example, what is supposed to be happening here? It seems like just a backyard play of "let's all run left and see what happens". I remember seeing it from the stands and wondering what we were trying to do. (I'm not sure if the clip you used is from the actual play I remember from the stands or if there was another similar play.)

I recall one play Saturday where our QB kept the ball on what looked like it could have been a read, but the decision was made quickly by our QB to take it. However, their DE was unblocked and just waiting for our QB and the result was not positive for us. Was it a bad QB read or a bad play call or a missed assignment?

It seemed like from the stands that we ran several plays with QB rollouts, which I understand given the injuries on our OL. But some of those plays basically cut the field down to a third and we have only two targets available for the QB to throw. And the defenders are all racing over to that side of the field. Is this really a successful play in our arsenal? Are there counters or other things that could happen on with this play? It just seems to me to be the opposite of spreading out the defense, which I thought was what a spread offense was supposed to do.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
So there are like 2 main ways to defend read option, "scrape exchange" and "squat and plug". (and of course new stuff is always being tried)

The basic ideas is that as the defense, you choose what the read is going to be, so you might as well decide BEFOREHAND what the read is going to be, and then be able to plan for it.

So with scrape exchange, the backside end attacks the keep read (the rb), and forces a "keep" read. then the backer scrapes off the DE's butt and is assigned to seek and destroy the QB.

With Squat and Plug, the backside end basically just sits down. The idea here is to force the "give" read, and both linebackers (we're assuming a 4-2 6 man box) just fly up into their run fits. This is a"spill and kill" scheme, where you plug up all the gaps and force the back to bounce it and hope that your late arriving outside guys can clean up.

I personally prefer Squat and Plug, because you actually get a 1.5 men out of that squatting DE, because after he's SURE of the give read, he can squeeze down and be in play for the cutback.

On play 1 above, I think the DE just screwed the pooch by not forcing the "give" read. His job is to force give there, because everybody else on the defense is planning on the read being "give".

N.B. there are a million ways to defend it, these are two of the most popular, and there are a million variations/stunts/etc on both you can use.

Great write up. I appreciate the information. I went back to the days my short lived football career where the DE was responsible for the dive and keeping the LB clean by squeezing the tackle down. But after re-watching the play, the LBs fly into their run fits.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
On your outside zone example, what is supposed to be happening here? It seems like just a backyard play of "let's all run left and see what happens". I remember seeing it from the stands and wondering what we were trying to do. (I'm not sure if the clip you used is from the actual play I remember from the stands or if there was another similar play.)

Main gist is each lineman blocks the first defender her sees, the rb run angles to the sideline with the goal to either get to the outside or find a seam he can cut upfield into.

The zone running play works by having the offensive linemen block a space or a “zone.” The zone helps the linemen determine who and where to block. The blocking is determined by the defensive alignment.

Covered linemen block the guy in front of them. Uncovered linemen take a step toward the play side and help double-team block with the linemen next to them before proceeding to the next level. Usually to block a linebacker or crashing safety/corner.

While the inside zone seeks to push a defense vertically, the outside zone seeks to move a defense laterally and pin them to the inside. To accomplish this, the linemen will use a blocking technique known as the “rip and run” to either pin defenders inside (rip) or, if they have that not reached their defender by the third step, seek to run them to the sideline (run).
https://ninernoise.com/2016/08/21/c...otgun-formation-inside-zone-outside-zone-run/

Baldyb

Georgia Tech Fan
Good post.

I'm not sure I agree on the 2nd play. I think maybe that's a good give read. UNC's going with the "squat and plug" technique, and the read man keeps his shoulders and hips square until he's sure QB has gotten rid of the ball. I think RB's hole is the playside C-gap (although, frankly, SAM was there). I think UNC just played it well and the DE did a good job muddling Graham's read.

also @Ibeeballin what is UNC doing alignment wise on the 4th gif? They've created a HUGE bubble (especially with the scrape exchange going on to the left of the formation)

Also, GAH on the QB Counter. That was PERFECTLY executed by the OL. That was a 20 yard run if he just runs the damn play.
Not always on the ol. To the average fan, we had no blocking on that play. Great observation!

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
QB Counter:
giphy.gif

OK, let me just say this: remember when @Techster and I were talking about Lincoln Riley, and I posted the link to OU's third drive against Houston a few weeks ago and commented on the counter trey action by the backside G and T pulling on nearly every play? Well, guess what? This is the first time we've seen this action from GT. Coincidence?

:censored:

slugboy

Staff member
OK, let me just say this: remember when @Techster and I were talking about Lincoln Riley, and I posted the link to OU's third drive against Houston a few weeks ago and commented on the counter trey action by the backside G and T pulling on nearly every play? Well, guess what? This is the first time we've seen this action from GT. Coincidence?

I’m ok with stealing their entire playbook, if we can execute it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

The false keys they give passing off of this is extremely hard to stop. Biggest reason there are usually 10 yds separation btw WR and middle defenders

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I thought this was the 2nd consecutive week where we had a solid gameplan. I thought we had something with the read option that CDP could’ve called a little bit more. UNC front alignment made the blocking execution a bit easier for us to know who and where to block. This weeks reinforces what my guy Sean Bedford thoughts after sitting with CBK. We are close, but too often we have 9/10 doing the right thing instead of all 11. As the yr progresses, hopefully we’ll see all 11 on the same page:

RUN GAME:

Read option:
I thought this is something we should’ve ran more of. Freezing the option guy created a natural hole and that allowed to finally get to the 2nd level creating favorable 1on1s in the open field

giphy.gif

Good read here. Option guy goes inside, Quinney seals the PSLB and we’re off to the races. Late slide gets us a no call here

giphy.gif

Bad read by James. Exact same results as above but he decides to give. I like him 1on1 with the WLB for a 1st down

giphy.gif

Good read. Quinney was able to get up and seal both ILB to allow the big gain. Now the RB needs to get his head up. Should’ve probably taken this tk the sideline after getting to the 2nd level

Inside/Outside Zone

giphy.gif

Coach P has done a decent job stretching out defenses horizontally with formations in effort to get favorable number counts in the box. Here is well blocked inside zone. One of the few games our OL has been to get to get to the 2nd level

giphy.gif

Here is outside zone. You can tell bc it appears the OL is running to the sideline. Looked to be blocked pretty decent. I believe this was read was wrong by the RB partially bc Quinney getting turned inside and making it appear as if the edge is set. The RB probably should’ve stayed outside but i understand what he sees.

QB Counter:
giphy.gif

This is 2 consecutive weeks where James away from his lead blocker. Play is designed and actually executed to hit in the C gap but Graham decides to take his talents to the A (Lol pun intended)

Passing Game:

giphy.gif

The Switch routes/concept was a staple of the TO and very good vs. UNC. We missed one but scored TDs off of this route combo.

Verticals (switch)

giphy.gif

Unlike the Switch, Verticals has been very unkind to us. It either has been INT or a missed wide open WR simply bc we are locked onto the WR up the hash. This killed the momentum we were picking up. This should’ve been thrown to the Rb on the drag or TE on the other hash

Sticks
giphy.gif

Something i thought we would see more of to get our QBs in a rhythm with our TEs. Graham fire this in there vs. man coverage for a 1st down

Bench
giphy.gif

Out routes by the inside receivers and corners by the WR. Nice catch & run Sanders. Nice read by James

This is why James shouldve been our QB from day 1!!

giphy.gif

NFL level poise and arm strength. Carter has to make this play

Controversy?
giphy.gif

Some say he should’ve fought for the 1st down and others believe he was getting no closer than 2-3yds the sticks with a spy and 2 other defenders in pursuit. If he had another half second in the pocket he may have found that WIDE OPEN TE on the corner route

All in all, solid game and a lot to build on. Here is to hoping we get all 11 on the same page and beat Duke. I hope this helps
Great stuff @Ibeeballin. Definitely helps us connect with the offense and makes the season more enjoyable.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m ok with stealing their entire playbook, if we can execute it

I hear ya ... but to be honest, at this point, I'd be happy with any playbook, if we can execute it. It's been sloppy and injuries/rotations haven't helped, but I'm hoping we get things cleaned up as the season progresses.

slugboy

Staff member
I hear ya ... but to be honest, at this point, I'd be happy with any playbook, if we can execute it. It's been sloppy and injuries/rotations haven't helped, but I'm hoping we get things cleaned up as the season progresses.

TBH, I’m really not sure what’s in our playbook, other than some of the plays we’ve broken down so far.