Film Study Offensive cut ups vs. UNC

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I thought this was the 2nd consecutive week where we had a solid gameplan. I thought we had something with the read option that CDP could’ve called a little bit more. UNC front alignment made the blocking execution a bit easier for us to know who and where to block. This weeks reinforces what my guy Sean Bedford thoughts after sitting with CBK. We are close, but too often we have 9/10 doing the right thing instead of all 11. As the yr progresses, hopefully we’ll see all 11 on the same page:

RUN GAME:

Read option:
I thought this is something we should’ve ran more of. Freezing the option guy created a natural hole and that allowed to finally get to the 2nd level creating favorable 1on1s in the open field

giphy.gif

Good read here. Option guy goes inside, Quinney seals the PSLB and we’re off to the races. Late slide gets us a no call here

giphy.gif

Bad read by James. Exact same results as above but he decides to give. I like him 1on1 with the WLB for a 1st down

giphy.gif

Good read. Quinney was able to get up and seal both ILB to allow the big gain. Now the RB needs to get his head up. Should’ve probably taken this tk the sideline after getting to the 2nd level

Inside/Outside Zone

giphy.gif

Coach P has done a decent job stretching out defenses horizontally with formations in effort to get favorable number counts in the box. Here is well blocked inside zone. One of the few games our OL has been to get to get to the 2nd level

giphy.gif

Here is outside zone. You can tell bc it appears the OL is running to the sideline. Looked to be blocked pretty decent. I believe this was read was wrong by the RB partially bc Quinney getting turned inside and making it appear as if the edge is set. The RB probably should’ve stayed outside but i understand what he sees.

QB Counter:
giphy.gif

This is 2 consecutive weeks where James away from his lead blocker. Play is designed and actually executed to hit in the C gap but Graham decides to take his talents to the A (Lol pun intended)

Passing Game:

giphy.gif

The Switch routes/concept was a staple of the TO and very good vs. UNC. We missed one but scored TDs off of this route combo.

Verticals (switch)

giphy.gif

Unlike the Switch, Verticals has been very unkind to us. It either has been INT or a missed wide open WR simply bc we are locked onto the WR up the hash. This killed the momentum we were picking up. This should’ve been thrown to the Rb on the drag or TE on the other hash

Sticks
giphy.gif

Something i thought we would see more of to get our QBs in a rhythm with our TEs. Graham fire this in there vs. man coverage for a 1st down

Bench
giphy.gif

Out routes by the inside receivers and corners by the WR. Nice catch & run Sanders. Nice read by James

This is why James shouldve been our QB from day 1!!

giphy.gif

NFL level poise and arm strength. Carter has to make this play

Controversy?
giphy.gif

Some say he should’ve fought for the 1st down and others believe he was getting no closer than 2-3yds the sticks with a spy and 2 other defenders in pursuit. If he had another half second in the pocket he may have found that WIDE OPEN TE on the corner route

All in all, solid game and a lot to build on. Here is to hoping we get all 11 on the same page and beat Duke. I hope this helps

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I thought this was the 2nd consecutive week where we had a solid gameplan. I thought we had something with the read option that CDP could’ve called a little bit more. UNC front alignment made the blocking execution a bit easier for us to know who and where to block. This weeks reinforces what my guy Sean Bedford thoughts after sitting with CBK. We are close, but too often we have 9/10 doing the right thing instead of all 11. As the yr progresses, hopefully we’ll see all 11 on the same page:

RUN GAME:

Read option:
I thought this is something we should’ve ran more of. Freezing the option guy created a natural hole and that allowed to finally get to the 2nd level creating favorable 1on1s in the open field

giphy.gif

Good read here. Option guy goes inside, Quinney seals the PSLB and we’re off to the races. Late slide gets us a no call here

giphy.gif

Bad read by James. Exact same results as above but he decides to give. I like him 1on1 with the WLB for a 1st down

giphy.gif

Good read. Quinney was able to get up and seal both ILB to allow the big gain. Now the RB needs to get his head up. Should’ve probably taken this tk the sideline after getting to the 2nd level

Inside/Outside Zone

giphy.gif

Coach P has done a decent job stretching out defenses horizontally with formations in effort to get favorable number counts in the box. Here is well blocked inside zone. One of the few games our OL has been to get to get to the 2nd level

giphy.gif

Here is outside zone. You can tell bc it appears the OL is running to the sideline. Looked to be blocked pretty decent. I believe this was read was wrong by the RB partially bc Quinney getting turned inside and making it appear as if the edge is set. The RB probably should’ve stayed outside but i understand what he sees.

QB Counter:
giphy.gif

This is 2 consecutive weeks where James away from his lead blocker. Play is designed and actually executed to hit in the C gap but Graham decides to take his talents to the A (Lol pun intended)

Passing Game:

giphy.gif

The Switch routes/concept was a staple of the TO and very good vs. UNC. We missed one but scored TDs off of this route combo.

Verticals (switch)

giphy.gif

Unlike the Switch, Verticals has been very unkind to us. It either has been INT or a missed wide open WR simply bc we are locked onto the WR up the hash. This killed the momentum we were picking up. This should’ve been thrown to the Rb on the drag or TE on the other hash

Sticks
giphy.gif

Something i thought we would see more of to get our QBs in a rhythm with our TEs. Graham fire this in there vs. man coverage for a 1st down

Bench
giphy.gif

Out routes by the inside receivers and corners by the WR. Nice catch & run Sanders. Nice read by James

This is why James shouldve been our QB from day 1!!

giphy.gif

NFL level poise and arm strength. Carter has to make this play

Controversy?
giphy.gif

Some say he should’ve fought for the 1st down and others believe he was getting no closer than 2-3yds the sticks with a spy and 2 other defenders in pursuit. If he had another half second in the pocket he may have found that WIDE OPEN TE on the corner route

All in all, solid game and a lot to build on. Here is to hoping we get all 11 on the same page and beat Duke. I hope this helps

These are now my favorite posts on this board.

As critical as I have been (and still am) of CDP and by extension CGC (since the buck has to stop with him), I do see things in these clips that show a plan.

It took too long to get there (IMO), but I do recognize the challenge the staff faced in trying to figure out who needed to be where and how to find something this roster could succeed with.

JG has Li'l Joe level talent.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
1st Play should have been targeting on the UNC defender. Launching at a player that is giving himself up. I watched most of the game but was bouncing back and forth to the grill. I mostly liked what I saw out of Graham. I think it might have been a shoot out if he hits Carter on the opening drive. Graham is not afraid to take some downfield shots and has plenty of arm to do it. If the blocking can improve and he starts consistently hitting them, our run game can take off as well. Duke is going to bring a ton of pressure so he'll need to make the right checks, utilize his legs, and hit some intermediate/deep throws to back them off.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
this is why I love this board - good stuff, and thanks for putting this together @Ibeeballin

at the game, I thought that James should have fought for that first down, but seeing it from that angle, I don't think he would have gotten it. thanks for including that one in your post.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good stuff IB! Posts like these are why I enjoy this site.

Graham is showing more and more poise with each snap. That first clip in passing game, he had two defenders within yards of him, but he trusted his blockers and kept his eyes down field. You can see the upside with him, and hopefully it all comes together because we're thisclose to have a credible offense.

On another note, Adonicas doesn't have elite speed, but his explosiveness in short space is pretty darn close to elite. I'd like to see us give him passes in space and watch him create. That catch and run by him is what makes a playmaker.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Good post.

I'm not sure I agree on the 2nd play. I think maybe that's a good give read. UNC's going with the "squat and plug" technique, and the read man keeps his shoulders and hips square until he's sure QB has gotten rid of the ball. I think RB's hole is the playside C-gap (although, frankly, SAM was there). I think UNC just played it well and the DE did a good job muddling Graham's read.

also @Ibeeballin what is UNC doing alignment wise on the 4th gif? They've created a HUGE bubble (especially with the scrape exchange going on to the left of the formation)

Also, GAH on the QB Counter. That was PERFECTLY executed by the OL. That was a 20 yard run if he just runs the damn play.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Good post.

I'm not sure I agree on the 2nd play. I think maybe that's a good give read. UNC's going with the "squat and plug" technique, and the read man keeps his shoulders and hips square until he's sure QB has gotten rid of the ball. I think RB's hole is the playside C-gap (although, frankly, SAM was there). I think UNC just played it well and the DE did a good job muddling Graham's read.

also @Ibeeballin what is UNC doing alignment wise on the 4th gif? They've created a HUGE bubble (especially with the scrape exchange going on to the left of the formation)

Also, GAH on the QB Counter. That was PERFECTLY executed by the OL. That was a 20 yard run if he just runs the damn play.

On the 4th gif, it something we use call “Set”. Simply setting 3Tech to the RB sides Based on the LB reaction of covering C gap, the DT was suppose slant inside the gap instead of squaring the guard up

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
...I think it might have been a shoot out if he hits Carter on the opening drive. Graham is not afraid to take some downfield shots and has plenty of arm to do it. ..

The wind was doing some weird stuff Saturday. I was in the upper east (north 35 yard line) and I was watching that throw sail away. The American flag was blowing right towards the gap in the SW stands. Alot of the day I couldn't feel much wind but the flags sure were feeling it. I can't see James throwing that pass in the direction it ended up. It had to cross the sideline at about the 7-10 yard line.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Good post.

DE looks to be doing the same thing between the 1st adn 2nd play. He squeezes the tackle to close the gap while keeping shoulders square. His position looks similar. It looked like if he kept it, it would have been a similar result as the first play. I'm sure hes reading the DE as a whole. But if the DE shoulders to the RB that is a keep all day. Now on the 3rd play, DE squeezes down but gets a little further up field and the OL got great push causing a lane to open up next to the DE.