Offensive blocking scheme for Clemson

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
obviously Clemson 2 big D tackles up front are tough too block Wilkins 6'4 315 and Lawerence 6'4 350; I am curious if CPJ has any new scheme for blocking them other than the same way he did in the last 2 years; I don't now who is responsible on the offensive line to try and neutralize them either way we are giving up a huge size advantage per man

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
obviously Clemson 2 big D tackles up front are tough too block Wilkins 6'4 315 and Lawerence 6'4 350; I am curious if CPJ has any new scheme for blocking them other than the same way he did in the last 2 years; I don't now who is responsible on the offensive line to try and neutralize them either way we are giving up a huge size advantage per man

In the words of Lil Jon, “Get Low”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
They're about half that size if you get them on their knees.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Need to use the package we used with Tobias. Honestly probably the reason CPJ was pissed they had to show it early. Block downhill and get up field fast. Don't allow Clemson to use their speed. Tight formation with dives, follows, occasional midline, and the toss. We have to hit 50% of our deep shots for it to work or the safeties will just line up in the box and make it impossible regardless.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Bunch of “look out” blocks this weekend probably.

For those of you who don’t know what that is, it’s the would-be blocker telling the ball carrier to lookout after being beat by the defender.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
There isn't an easy answer because they have speed at the edge and the LB positions. Normally you would try to read the dominate tackle on the midline and scoop him when you run away from him. In this case you will probably have to turn it back inside and try to isolate the LB. That is what we did in 14 and we got bailed out by Smelter with some back shoulder throws when we needed a chunk of yards.

The issue with the speed option we ran vs USF is that we won't be able to gain leverage on Clemson like we did USF.

If we don't think we can throw it, we would be better off giving them something they haven't seen from us, like the 1 wide receiver set that army uses to double the DT, read the DE, and cut the corner with the AB. It is a double option, but it limits the reads TQM has to read and forces the playside corner to figure out where he needs to be.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Our OL need to remind Clemson DL about their promising NFL career and all the money they can make in the NFL.

Although Cut blocking is no more dangerous, it is the perceived notion.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
If we don't think we can throw it, we would be better off giving them something they haven't seen from us, like the 1 wide receiver set that army uses to double the DT, read the DE, and cut the corner with the AB. It is a double option, but it limits the reads TQM has to read and forces the playside corner to figure out where he needs to be.

We may have to resort to the old fumblerooski before this thing is over

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
We may have to resort to the old fumblerooski before this thing is over

Interestingly, Paul ran that play at Hawaii. He got flagged because he didn't tell the refs that he was going to run it.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Interestingly, Paul ran that play at Hawaii. He got flagged because he didn't tell the refs that he was going to run it.

That’s great. [emoji23]. I’ll have to see if I can find a video.

Deleted member 2897

I mentioned defensive holding before. Here is a good example of what we'll see, which often leads to dangerous situations for the Clemson DL, and the Clemson fans will complain about it...but they'll complain its our fault.

In this video, Kenny Cooper is firing off the line past Dexter Lawrence #90 - Lawrence grabs Kenny's jersey (as you watch the video unfold you'll see an entire fist full of his jersey) and holds him while Parker Braun is initiating a cut block. It creates a terribly dangerous position for himself, as holding onto Kenny while Kenny's trying to get up field twists Lawrence sideways. Clemson folks complain about this being a chop block when its not - its what happens when you hold the offensive line. Cooper wasn't going to engage with Lawrence - Parker Braun was. You'll see in the Twitter feed and on Tigernet how they say we play dirty etc etc etc. We don't play dirty. We play legal - it was their defensive holding that creates dangerous situations.

If you can't get a sense of what's going on, here is the video cued up for that play (you can slow the speed down if you need to):

It also gives you a sense for how they stack the line. IMHO our best shot at passing plays is sending the ABs out, not the WRs.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we will try to run stuff where we block the DE and read the play side tackle. Hopefully our o line will be at full strength for the first time this season.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I call first play:
"L ab in motion, block like a counter option right, parker pulling, but it's a pass to m Carter deep slant and go ".

Hike
Lawrence follows parker to qb who is sacked.

2 nd and 15

I then turn to coach and say " u call the rest of the game because I have no idea".

Deleted member 2897

I encourage you guys to watch the first several minutes of last year's game in that video. If we just even remotely hit our blocks and TaQuon makes the correct reads, we're driving the ball.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I just hope Will is back and we move Kenny back to center and Lee back to tackle. I also hope Andy is good to go, too. We need our best players on the field if we have any chance.