1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Offense and defense ACC coastal division common opponent stats

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by Longestday, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

Last year the O was the best unit, then the D, then ST. But we found ways to lose as a team.

When we needed scores we failed to. When we needed drives we failed to sustain. When we needed stops we failed. When we needed field goals we failed. When we needed good kickoffs and coverage we failed.

We failed as a team and lost more than we’d like because of it. No unit was without blame. But yes the O shoulders less of the blame than the D which imo shoulders less than ST.

Last year was more frustrating to me than 2015 was. I could forgive 15 because of all the dang injuries we sustained. But last year we just seemed to find so many different ways to fail.

This year I expect our usual good and consistency on O. I expect improved D. I think our athletes will improve ST coverage. Other than punts the kicking concerns me greatly and could mitigate our athletes on kickoff coverage.

We really could use a game breaker returner again. I’ll take solidly consistent but it’s been a long time since we had a real threat of a returner and man that would be nice to have again. Another Buttkicker would be even better.

2. smathis30

smathis30 Helluva Engineer

Lol @ people using FEI rankings in 2018. They literally changed how they did it two years ago because they relied way too much on third down percentage, to the point where the revised rankings no longer have the infamous 2014 team that was "the most efficient offense ever" isn't even the #1 team in offense for that year Due to the rise of the passing game being a higher indicator of offensive success than third down percentage. SB nation has o at 61 and d at 67 last year which sounds about right. Completing 25% of passes won't win games, and that was deadly down The stretch last year. The defense was bad last year beyond a doubt but the offense was too. Special teams made the d look worse than it actually was. Turnover ratio was bad and that is due to a combination of no pressure on D andninexperience on O. The offense was too bipolar last year. PPD in wins versus losses has much higher deviation than that of the D. Nonexistent ST play is really the downfall from last year

slugboy likes this.
  3. 4shotB

4shotB Helluva Engineer

When you lose more than you win, these conversations are akin to picking out the tallest midget. here's hoping that the new DC renders these conversations a thing of the past.

stech81 likes this.
  4. iceeater1969

iceeater1969 Helluva Engineer

In 2017 if the defense did better and if the offense did better, we would have played like we are going to play in 2018.

5. Longestday

Longestday Helluva Engineer Featured Member

Duke average score in common opponents was 24 (14.8 without GT) points and they scored 43 on GT - GT only scored 20 points ad was the low for common opponent
    UVA average score in common opponents was 26 (18 without GT) points and they scored 40 on GT - GT scored 36 points

Both these games were P5 season highs for our opponents.

Milwaukee likes this.
  6. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

Wow, UNC has the worse stats hands down. They are the basement in almost every category. LOL.

boger2337 likes this.
  7. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

I agree. When remembering the Miami game, most only remember the circus catch/failed hail-mary defense. But our O had a chance to ice it on their final drive and failed. Not to put it on one guy, but if Stewart makes that catch... (My take on that play is that it was a great defensive play to strip the ball on a very good throw, away from a player with better position and normally great hands. Contrast that to what our D did on the hail-mary when all the advantages were in our favor.)

8. slugboy

slugboy Moderator Staff Member

We're closer to Duke than I thought we'd be. Their defense was ranked higher than ours for the year, and played better than us in the head to head.

9. UgaBlows

UgaBlows Helluva Engineer

I think you know the answer to that question sir, we at GT are not allowed to have both a good offense and defense at the same time except maybe once every 30-40 years (when we win a natty). So obviously a great defense this year means the offense tanks it Gailey style. I’m certain that the stats in the modern fb era will back this hypothesis up.

10. Longestday

Stat wise, we had a higher chance to beat Duke and UVA, but stats wise VT should have killed us. Stats don't win games...

cuttysark likes this.
  11. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

We and Duke only had 9 drives each that game. That's why points per game can be misleading.

Duke scored on 8 of their 9 drives, including a TD when they got the ball on their own 28 with 2min left in 1st half.

UVA scored an int TD, a runback TD, and a safety. Our D only gave up 24 of their 40 pts. It was still too many imo.

Whiskey_Clear and Longestday like this.
  12. Longestday

24 does not sound that bad except when you do a point per drive look or they scored on 8 of 9 possessions, and they scored on average 14.8 points per game for the rest of the common opponents.

Still 24 does not sound bad... and that is why we/I need a new perspective that if they score over 21 points they scored to many. It is ok to expect a low end offense to only score once or twice in a game. Hi, my name is Longestday and it is ok for the other team not to score.

OldJacketFan and AE 87 like this.
  13. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

I made a mistake. We scored an interception TD not uva. Their O scored 31. Ours 29.

There were also 17-18 drives in that game. I don't know what was normal for uva.

14. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

They had injury issues last year the same as us in 2015.