Offense and defense ACC coastal division common opponent stats

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Last year the O was the best unit, then the D, then ST. But we found ways to lose as a team.

When we needed scores we failed to. When we needed drives we failed to sustain. When we needed stops we failed. When we needed field goals we failed. When we needed good kickoffs and coverage we failed.

We failed as a team and lost more than we’d like because of it. No unit was without blame. But yes the O shoulders less of the blame than the D which imo shoulders less than ST.

Last year was more frustrating to me than 2015 was. I could forgive 15 because of all the dang injuries we sustained. But last year we just seemed to find so many different ways to fail.

This year I expect our usual good and consistency on O. I expect improved D. I think our athletes will improve ST coverage. Other than punts the kicking concerns me greatly and could mitigate our athletes on kickoff coverage.

We really could use a game breaker returner again. I’ll take solidly consistent but it’s been a long time since we had a real threat of a returner and man that would be nice to have again. Another Buttkicker would be even better.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll put it this way, GT was 24th in offense efficiency. That means we were better than the average offense. All the things you just mentioned are things that happen to almost EVERY college team throughout a season as well, so if it happens to almost every team is that really fair to complain about? Not many teams did anything against Clemson and UGA, 29 points in a game is good regardless of field position (something they have no control over) against Miami we were actually moving the ball decent tuntil you couldn’t see because of the rain, did you not see the guys slipping and falling? Like the time we faked the option and TM could have possibly had a TD on the reverse but we had an OL slip and fall when pulling in wide open field. I get the offense wasn’t perfect, but you are complaining about a pretty good offense. If you want to say they were a problem thats fine, but your also saying 90 percent of college offenses were problems for their teams by your standard of being a problem. Your expectation imo is not very realistic.

I think you need to start comparing us to some of our opponents, or other schools that aren’t power houses.
Lol @ people using FEI rankings in 2018. They literally changed how they did it two years ago because they relied way too much on third down percentage, to the point where the revised rankings no longer have the infamous 2014 team that was "the most efficient offense ever" isn't even the #1 team in offense for that year Due to the rise of the passing game being a higher indicator of offensive success than third down percentage. SB nation has o at 61 and d at 67 last year which sounds about right. Completing 25% of passes won't win games, and that was deadly down The stretch last year. The defense was bad last year beyond a doubt but the offense was too. Special teams made the d look worse than it actually was. Turnover ratio was bad and that is due to a combination of no pressure on D andninexperience on O. The offense was too bipolar last year. PPD in wins versus losses has much higher deviation than that of the D. Nonexistent ST play is really the downfall from last year

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But yes the O shoulders less of the blame than the D which imo shoulders less than ST.

When you lose more than you win, these conversations are akin to picking out the tallest midget. here's hoping that the new DC renders these conversations a thing of the past.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke average score in common opponents was 24 (14.8 without GT) points and they scored 43 on GT - GT only scored 20 points ad was the low for common opponent
UVA average score in common opponents was 26 (18 without GT) points and they scored 40 on GT - GT scored 36 points

Both these games were P5 season highs for our opponents.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Last year the O was the best unit, then the D, then ST. But we found ways to lose as a team.

When we needed scores we failed to. When we needed drives we failed to sustain. When we needed stops we failed. When we needed field goals we failed. When we needed good kickoffs and coverage we failed.

We failed as a team and lost more than we’d like because of it. No unit was without blame. But yes the O shoulders less of the blame than the D which imo shoulders less than ST.

Last year was more frustrating to me than 2015 was. I could forgive 15 because of all the dang injuries we sustained. But last year we just seemed to find so many different ways to fail.

This year I expect our usual good and consistency on O. I expect improved D. I think our athletes will improve ST coverage. Other than punts the kicking concerns me greatly and could mitigate our athletes on kickoff coverage.

We really could use a game breaker returner again. I’ll take solidly consistent but it’s been a long time since we had a real threat of a returner and man that would be nice to have again. Another Buttkicker would be even better.
I agree. When remembering the Miami game, most only remember the circus catch/failed hail-mary defense. But our O had a chance to ice it on their final drive and failed. Not to put it on one guy, but if Stewart makes that catch... (My take on that play is that it was a great defensive play to strip the ball on a very good throw, away from a player with better position and normally great hands. Contrast that to what our D did on the hail-mary when all the advantages were in our favor.)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You have to wonder what a better defense could do for the team.

Field position/less yards to score! Less kickoffs to GT (something we are struggling with)! Turnovers/more chances to score!

I think you know the answer to that question sir, we at GT are not allowed to have both a good offense and defense at the same time except maybe once every 30-40 years (when we win a natty). So obviously a great defense this year means the offense tanks it Gailey style. I’m certain that the stats in the modern fb era will back this hypothesis up.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Stat wise, we had a higher chance to beat Duke and UVA, but stats wise VT should have killed us. Stats don't win games...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Duke average score in common opponents was 24 (14.8 without GT) points and they scored 43 on GT - GT only scored 20 points ad was the low for common opponent
UVA average score in common opponents was 26 (18 without GT) points and they scored 40 on GT - GT scored 36 points

Both these games were P5 season highs for our opponents.

We and Duke only had 9 drives each that game. That's why points per game can be misleading.

Duke scored on 8 of their 9 drives, including a TD when they got the ball on their own 28 with 2min left in 1st half.

UVA scored an int TD, a runback TD, and a safety. Our D only gave up 24 of their 40 pts. It was still too many imo.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
24 does not sound that bad except when you do a point per drive look or they scored on 8 of 9 possessions, and they scored on average 14.8 points per game for the rest of the common opponents.

Still 24 does not sound bad... and that is why we/I need a new perspective that if they score over 21 points they scored to many. It is ok to expect a low end offense to only score once or twice in a game. Hi, my name is Longestday and it is ok for the other team not to score.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
24 does not sound that bad except when you do a point per drive look or they scored on 8 of 9 possessions, and they scored on average 14.8 points per game for the rest of the common opponents.

Still 24 does not sound bad... and that is why we/I need a new perspective that if they score over 21 points they scored to many. It is ok to expect a low end offense to only score once or twice in a game. Hi, my name is Longestday and it is ok for the other team not to score.

I made a mistake. We scored an interception TD not uva. Their O scored 31. Ours 29.

There were also 17-18 drives in that game. I don't know what was normal for uva.