Off Season How well do you know Georgia Tech Football

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, now that we enter the dark time of the year I got to thinking today about some Tech past and decided to see how in tune you all on the swarm are. These aren't just Tech stats but also events. Let's see how you all do.

1. Bill Lewis had a hard time at Tech but it didn't start out that way. He had Shawn Jones Jimmy Lincoln etc. But his great start ended and I believe it was the beginning of the end for him. What game was it that turned?
2. Bill Lewis again, what did he do that basically caused him to lose half the team and create his demise?
3. Speaking of Jimmy Lincoln, what was his most famous play and what was the play call?
4. We had a running back gain the most yard in a single game and the record held for almost 10 years. name the player, yards, year and opponent.
5. For years we always played Clemson at Grant field until their fans decided to do something to show how big they were. What did they do and what was the year?
6. John Davis was a center for Bill Curry, what was his nickname and why?
7. The Georgia game in 1971 had a very controversial ending because of something that happened to help Georgia. What was it?
8. Back in the 70's on the Tech sideline, what did Tech have that nobody else used to keep cool?
9. After the win at Georgia in 1984 John Dewberry got a what?
10. After the Virginia win in 1990, who did the team give the game ball to?

Well, now we will see how good you all are.
I haven't seen a full answer for number 3. I do know Jimy Lincoln had some great runs against Uvag in '91 but the play I remember was the 2 point conversion on a run over the right end to beat the Cardinal in the '91 Aloha Bowl. We pulled that game out of our arse with a big punt return by "Big Play" Willie Clay that lead to the go ahead score.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
1. FSU - one of the worst losses in my time watching Tech football. Charlie Ward was pulled we were winning so easily and he cam back to run the no huddle and lost when couldn't recover on-side. FSU had made top 5 like 8 years in a row and would have been a big win.
2. Picked a Luginbill with no talent over Donnie Davis with talent
3. IDK
4. Eddie Lee Ivery 357 yards Air Force
5. IDK
6. RefrigeratorMover - had big game against WIlliam Fuller
7. First down chains broke and when fixed UGA was awarded a first down
8. Fans?
9. A hedge piece in mouth?
10. Bobby Ross's father
I've heard no good things about donnie davis

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
How about one that hurts?

1) What year was the last year the series with UGAg was tied?

2) what is the largest lead GT has had over UGAg in the series and what year was it?

3) easy bonus: ignoring Cumberland, what is the largest margin of victory in GT history, who was the opponent, and who was the coach?
I think #2 was in like 2013?

I haven't seen a full answer for number 3. I do know Jimy Lincoln had some great runs against Uvag in '91 but the play I remember was the 2 point conversion on a run over the right end to beat the Cardinal in the '91 Aloha Bowl. We pulled that game out of our arse with a big punt return by "Big Play" Willie Clay that lead to the go ahead score.
Yes, that was the play. It was an option where Shawn Jones option pitched to Jimy. I have the football he carried and autographed from that game.

Jk8Fan

Georgia Tech Fan

How about a few oddballs?

What is the team we have played the most without having a loss D-1?

What team do we have the best winning % against having played a minimum of 10 times?

The answer for the best winning % playing a minimum of 20 or 30 times is the same. So, which team do we have the highest win % against playing a min of 30 games?

Sorry, looking at stats today. I will give this one. The highest winning % we have against any team having played a minimum of 50 times is Tulane. We lead 37-13 in the series.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I've heard no good things about donnie davis
Very highly rated recruit. Thought to be "The next big deal" under Ross/Friedgen. Didn't have a great Junior (?) year under Lewis, so he brought in Tommy Lugenbill as a Juco transfer/starter the next year. The team was badly divided over the move. Lugenbill played OK, but wasn't the answer. When Lewis got shown the door, George O'Leary re-installed Davis as the starter. He was an upgrade over Lugenbill, and was "pretty good, not great". He played in the indoor league after college.

I've never heard anything negative about him.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Very highly rated recruit. Thought to be "The next big deal" under Ross/Friedgen. Didn't have a great Junior (?) year under Lewis, so he brought in Tommy Lugenbill as a Juco transfer/starter the next year. The team was badly divided over the move. Lugenbill played OK, but wasn't the answer. When Lewis got shown the door, George O'Leary re-installed Davis as the starter. He was an upgrade over Lugenbill, and was "pretty good, not great". He played in the indoor league after college.

There was also the Al Lugenbill factor I haven't seen mentioned..... Lewis had brought in Al as OC and he installed his son Tommy as his QB. Tommy was not exactly an upgrade & the way it was all handled allegedly led to a racial divide in the locker room. I wasn't there.... just remembering what went public after the bloodletting & Lewis' firing.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There was also the Al Lugenbill factor I haven't seen mentioned..... Lewis had brought in Al as OC and he installed his son Tommy as his QB. Tommy was not exactly an upgrade & the way it was all handled allegedly led to a racial divide in the locker room. I wasn't there.... just remembering what went public after the bloodletting & Lewis' firing.

I'd forgotten the Al Lugenbill move. Yeah, I always suspected the divide had a racial component, but that was never stated. I'm sure it also went to Donnie being a 4th year guy who'd been a teammate for a long time and put in a bunch of work following a knee injury only to be replaced by a guy who wasn't as physically gifted and didn't play any better than Davis.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck

I guess compared to joe my old man looked down on donnie davis

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck

How about a few oddballs?

What is the team we have played the most without having a loss D-1?

What team do we have the best winning % against having played a minimum of 10 times?

The answer for the best winning % playing a minimum of 20 or 30 times is the same. So, which team do we have the highest win % against playing a min of 30 games?

Sorry, looking at stats today. I will give this one. The highest winning % we have against any team having played a minimum of 50 times is Tulane. We lead 37-13 in the series.

1. Is it Oglethorpe? 6 for 6 against them

2. Either Davidson or VMI, I think were 12-1 against both for a .923 win percentage

3. I believe this is Wake Forest, we played 30ish games against them and had like a .742ish win percentage